Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manga value

Widgets Magazine
    Is manga worth very much? I have a ton and some complete series that I'd like to sell but I have no idea what to price it at. Is there any guidance for something like this?
    Impassionedcinema Thank You, Sentai! Ef Blu-ray is amazing!
    Avatar: Shana - Shakugan no Shana (Jun Kuga)

The short answer is: it depends, but I've had decent luck pricing manga at $5 per book.

A longer answer, based on my own experiences, which may or may not be applicable for you:

$5 per book seems like a good starting point that works for me usually, but you can really go down multiple rabbit holes when pricing. Run a search and see what the same volumes or complete series are listed for, and what some have actually sold for (if any at all) recently, and adjust your pricing accordingly. You can always also go up in price if something is popular and/or OOP. I've sold a couple sets of popular and OOP manga for more than $10 per volume before. I've also sold something for around $2 per volume just to get rid of it.

I try not to sell single volumes, since those don't seem as attractive. Complete series have good curb appeal, since anyone bothering to look for a given series on eBay would appreciate the lack of having to jump around to gather different volumes.

Shipping can be an issue, because paper is heavy and the weight starts to add up quickly. I try to build the cost of shipping into all of my pricing for eBay in general, but things can get weird with manga, which sometimes leads me to tack it on as a separate cost in order to keep the visible listing price down. So, depending on what you might usually do, that can be a key factor to also keep in mind.

Good photos are definitely key when selling manga and justifying pricing. Blu-ray discs and DVDs obviously have shrinkwrap to identify an item that is brand new and in theory undamaged, but it's tougher with manga to obviously show a new item, and used manga can vary wildly from "barely glanced at" down to "pizza fingers." So be sure to take a bunch of photos showing the covers, spines and page edges. It's up to you whether you want to try and list and subsequently justify any manga as being "new" as a selling point, but in any case, if you've taken good care of your stuff and can show that you did, then it really helps.

I'm never quite sure if it registers or helps much, but I always specify in the description (because it's potentially good and relevant info, but also because it's true) that my home is smoke free and pet free, and I've kept the books in a box in storage in a closet.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Thanks this is really helpful. I just have so many volumes of things I don't want anymore and it is hard figuring out what people will pay for this stuff. Like I have a complete collection of Lov Com that I want to move but no idea if that is even worth anything.

Comment

Depending on how long it takes for me to get my room back together with inventory, I might be interested in that LoveCom. But right now, where I have L is completely buried... -_- I also wouldn't mind seeing the rest you're getting rid of, too...

As for pricing, it's tough. Single volumes are definitely tough; I can't seem to move most of mine for $2. Others that are one-offs and/or OOP can move for a good price; last year I sold a single standalone for $30, and an extra copy of Ze volume 6 for $80. Sets are easier to move, but in the end don't seem to go for too much more than a single rare volume in the set. And if the set gets too large, say Fairy Tale, you may only be able to get a couple dollars per volume just due to the sheer number.
        -dunno001
        -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
        -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

I'd love to know what sets you have for sale bluesilo! Also, do research on ebay and amazon to see what things are selling for, that sometimes helps (or gets depressing).

Comment

Alright I'll get the sets out. We have stuff just sitting around that we were planning on selling.

Comment

Just some of things we meant to sell.

On a lot of this stuff if the packaging and shipping is paid for I'd part of it really inexpensive since at this point I really just want them out.
              Last edited by bluesilo; 04-16-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X