• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnimEigo '15 panel

Widgets Magazine
    AnimEigo Industry Panel | 5:45pm - 6:45pm

Otakings at Otakon?

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I'll be at Otakon Friday and Saturday. I look forward to chatting with all the backers, just look for the old guy wearing something related to Bubblegum Crisis.

Our current work-in-progress version of Otaku no Video will be shown at 9AM Friday in Video 1 in its full 1080p uncompressed glory!

I'll also be doing an AnimEigo panel at 5:45PM on Saturday.

One thing we've been working on this week is doing a subtitle track for the English commentary, and an idea we are kicking around is to also include the SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired) subtitles of the Japanese background audio, so when Gilles and I talk about something that's happening on screen, the Japanese dialogue is visible.

Here's a very rough test run to show you how it works; we'd appreciate your feedback on possible format improvements.

This is a quick low-resolution test of combining a subtitled commentary track with SDH subtitles for the background program audio, one of the many format experiments…

Of course, people who don't need SDH subtitles of the commentators will be able to turn on the regular subtitles of the Japanese dialogue (in normal or SDH form) if they prefer.
    Last edited by WTK; 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM.

Re: AnimEigo '15 panel

I just showed Otaku no Video in 1080p HD at Otakon and got some favorable feedback... but noticed a couple of tiny subtitling mistakes I'll have to fix when I get home. Looking forward to my panel tomorrow at 5:45 in Panel 3.

Comment

AnimEigo Industry Panel [I]
      Saturday, July 25, 2015
      5:45 PM - 6:45 PM

At AnimEigo, we believe in Truth in Advertising... https://www.otakon.com/events_schedu...ID=23&id=16360

Comment

14:57:31 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Riding Bean High Octane Edition
        14:57:36 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> probably our next project
        14:57:52 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> several others under negotiations
        14:58:11 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> a few contractual issues need to be resolved
        14:58:22 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> kickstarter in fall hopefully

---

15:01:05 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: Bluray of Urusei Yatsura?
        15:01:11 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: First issue is if I can get the license
        15:01:19 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> The more success we have with this releasing style, the more likely it is
        15:02:31 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> The other problem with it is it's so big
        15:02:35 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> So it'd be a huge project

15:04:22 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: What about Arcadia?
        15:04:48 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: Anything that's in our catalog, we'd love to release, but i'd like to get to a point where we're mixing titles that we haven't released that i really wanted to release
        15:05:17 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> One title I really wanted was LOGH, which we hadn't done before
        15:06:52 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> There are a number of titles where, I think if you gather the right audience, it will eventually be done
        15:07:05 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> This is what I want to do to preserve and update older titles
        15:07:20 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> I want to be able to find titles where the film is still in decent shape and do a 4k transfer

15:08:13 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: What would it take to include soundtrack CDs with the crowdfunded releases?
        15:08:21 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: What it would take for music rights and music rights can be a nightmare
        15:08:47 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> sometimes it's not even clear if the music rights that were originally attached to the project will even let you use them in the menu
        15:09:16 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> there are cases where they can't find the original project, or the person who can answer the question, or the person who can license you the rights
        15:09:22 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> it's so logistically difficult sometimes
        15:09:26 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> especially for the older stuff
        15:09:41 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> that it's not something that you want to... like bang for the buck in terms of time, it's just not there
        15:09:48 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> if it's easy, i'd do it, because it'd be nice and cool
        15:10:01 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> but it usually isn't
        15:10:04 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> i will say that i always ask

15:11:21 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: How about BAO then?
        15:11:35 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: Okay, BAO I'd do...
        15:12:23 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> To explain, many many moons ago, I worked on a game called Wizardry, and they eventually made an anime based on it, which i had nothing to do with and didn't know until after it was made

15:23:10 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: Full release of Yawara the Judo girl?
        15:27:00 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: (talking about the SD eps on BD poll, missed rest)

15:32:33 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: Gunsmith cats release?
        15:32:39 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: Can't talk about it, not sure about the license situation

15:35:09 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: Since releasing UY is a huge project and not a consideration... they recently released the BDs of the movies in Japan all together
        15:36:22 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: That's definitely do-able... that project is do-able in a something like a 1 year time

15:38:40 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> Q: The UY Rumic World single eps
        15:38:52 <bay|Ota|Animeigo> A: Don't know the license situation there

---

The lessons that AnimEigo learned from the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray Kickstarter are as follows. Accurate. #Otakon2015 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKypnUMUEAAyFEV.jpg:large

For those wondering what "crowdproduction" refers to, here's the slide that explains what people are doing=volunteers https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKyrHIMWgAAg_Dk.jpg:large

A Woodhead #Otakon2015 example of what crowdproduction can do: somebody transcribed what "Shon Hernandez" REALLY said https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKyr_P0VEAAM3jX.jpg:large

R. Woodhead was in talks for a year to get LoGH since he figured Kickstarter would be the only way. Then Section23 announced it! #Otakon2015

Woodhead believes that even with feature creep, if you put in your money for Kickstarter then you should ideally get the thing within a year

All money collected for AnimEigo Kickstarters goes to escrow; they don't take the money until after it's shipped. They don't brag about this

Robert's looking at Dagger of Kamui. Possible a BD doesn't exist because Japan has doubts they can make back the cost of doing the transfer.

Provided the source materials remain in OK condition, we might be able to Kickstart The Dagger of Kamui on Blu-Ray & give Japan the transfer

The end goal is to start doing Kickstarter campaigns for things that were cool which were never licensed by AnimEigo in the past #Otakon2015

Robert Woodhead says he licenses things he wants to license and cares about, anything he's licensed purely to make money has failed. #otakon

So @AnimEigo mentioned that they would like to do any anime that Kenichi Sonoda has been involved in. Maybe some Gall Force for Gerald?
        Last edited by WTK; 07-25-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X