Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Classic Comic Book Heroine Costumes Redesigned

Widgets Magazine
    An artist by the name of Michael Lee Lunsford gave himself a design challenge: redesign the costumes of 8 female comic book characters, covering them from foot to neck, and from wrist to wrist without resorting to spray-on body paint, and keeping their iconic looks. It was not a political exercise, he just wanted to challenge his design skills.

http://ze-tarts.tumblr.com/post/45825059789

The characters are Zatanna, Supergirl, Psylocke, Wonder Woman, Powergirl, Electra, Vampirella (admittedly not a superheroine), and Black Canary. Personally, I really like the looks of Black Canary and Electra. I'm not sold on Wonder Woman wearing khakis. I would have gone with a skirt that is just above knee-length with tights underneath. But either way, it's a fascinating design exercise.
    Last edited by Ayana Mudou; 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM.
    Avatar: Claire Augustus from Questionable Content

Re: 8 Classic Comic Book Heroine Costumes Redesigned

I'm not that impressed, actually. Supergirl's skirt makes her look like a refugee from the 1950s, back in the days when "nice" girls didn't wear jeans. And - as you pointed out - why, oh why would you put Wonder Woman in khakis? You've already got her in plate mail from the waist up, why not just continue it down over the legs into a full suit of armor?

Tights might also be cheating a bit. However, I do like the general feel of Zatanna's redesign. I don't know how practical dress pants and shoes would be (since they'd be slick and a tripping hazard), but in light of the general comic book approach of mandatory high heel boots and push-up bra, I can forgive some . . . impracticalities.

Edit: I don't recognize the last two - are they supposed to be Vampirella and Power Girl?
    Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      Edit: I don't recognize the last two - are they supposed to be Vampirella and Power Girl?
      They're Vampirella and Black Canary.

As for your comment about Zatanna, I don't believe there is anything impractical about the idea of wearing dress pants and shoes. If she was a male character, no one would even notice the pants and shoes.
      Avatar: Claire Augustus from Questionable Content

Comment

Originally posted by Ayana Mudou View Post
        Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
        They're Vampirella and Black Canary.
        That's Vampirella and Black Canary? Really? Hmm . . . I'm not a big fan of either. Vampirella's boots and gloves (are those gloves?) are perfectly serviceable, but that coat . . . it doesn't match the jewelry, and says "fox hunt" more than "alien vampire".

And Black Canary . . . it looks like he tried to meld shin guards with her pants, and maybe gave her sap gloves in lieu of full boxing gloves . . . I don't think it quite works. I like the jacket and general color scheme, though, and her shoes have nice treads.

I wish he would've put at least one of the women in a suit of armor, though. If the goal was to re-design their costumes to give them more of a "serious" look (as opposed to the pin-up/eye candy approach), body armor seems like a good place to start

Originally posted by Ayana Mudou View Post
        As for your comment about Zatanna, I don't believe there is anything impractical about the idea of wearing dress pants and shoes. If she was a male character, no one would even notice the pants and shoes.
        For a Justice League meeting or a performance? Dress shoes and pants would be perfectly practical. But brawling with demons or chasing thugs through the streets? Forget about it - those kind of dress shoes offer absolutely no traction. Speaking from personal experience, trying to run in dress shoes is a good way to go flying (and not in the fun superhero way). Kind of hard to intimidate the bad guys when you're nursing a cracked skull.

However, if I were a female superhero, and it came down to fighting evil in dress shoes or the stereotypical high heeled boots, I'd go with the dress shoes every time. I can't even imagine trying to run/fight/climb in heels - ouch!
        Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-05-2013, 01:52 AM. Reason: lost an "r"
        "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X