Widgets Magazine

Fruits Basket (original series + 2019 series)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruits Basket - Official Clip - Rice Cooker Discovered

Comment

Fruits Basket - Official Clip - Kagura's Love

Comment

Hey Nice Package: Fruits Basket

Comment

After nearly two decades since the anime series aired, Fruits Basket is finally getting another adaptation with the announcement coming on the cover of the next issue of Hana to Yume. Right now, the details remain shrouded in mystery as it's not clear whether it's a continuation of the original series, a remake, or if it adapts the side story Fruits Basket Another. As there's the subtitle that translates to "the whole story", that and anime had some pretty big differences from the manga that it's possible that it could be a remake to remain faithful to the manga. Not to mention, the side-story is pretty short as it would only need a cour to adapt it.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
          Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it is a remake with everything that was missed from the manga (new characters) included this time (Sort of like what they did with Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood) Saying "the whole story" seems to imply that. The side-story is pretty short, so I doubt that will be what it is, there is a small chance that they may put the side-story in this new adaption as well though. I am not sure about a continuation of the previous series either, since I am not sure how they will follow on from the events in the last series. I guess time will tell.
            Avatar: I guess you could say this is what I would look like as an Animated character

Comment

It's definitely not a sequel to the first adaptation since, according to Justin Sevakis, there were issues between the manga author and that show's director over how it turned out so it's probably a reboot and with different staff.

Either way, best of luck to FUNi because there's likely to be a lot of recasts for this dub.
              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

I can't imagine it's anything but a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood-style reboot, and having read the entire Fruits Basket manga earlier this year, I'm incredibly excited by the prospect of seeing all that get a modern adaptation. Hopefully it goes to a studio and staff lineup that will really do it justice.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

A reboot would be cool! The original version left out a ton of stuff, so if this new one is more faithful to the manga, I would definitely be interested!

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                    Either way, best of luck to FUNi because there's likely to be a lot of recasts for this dub.
                    Why's that? Not that it will really matter that much since I'm sure even the Japanese version will have new voices too.

Comment

Could we see some sort of new anime announcement from Funimation tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...71401123414017
                      https://www.facebook.com/funimation/...55974183658481
                      Stay tuned for a HUGE anime announcement!

COMING TOMORROW FROM FUNIMATION
                      The font used on the image looks like the one used on the BD LE release.
                      - https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...-ray-blr-00176
                      - https://www.rightstufanime.com/Fruit...dition-Blu-ray

Comment

I have to think that not only will Funi license the Fruits Basket remake, but they are also on the production committee, much like what happened with Dimension W. Seeing that the manga is a smash hit in America that it would be good for them to be aggressive to get this.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
                        Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                        Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

And of course it will be advertised as being only on Funimations shitty as service.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                            Could we see some sort of new anime announcement from Funimation tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...71401123414017
                            https://www.facebook.com/funimation/...55974183658481

The font used on the image looks like the one used on the BD LE release.
                            - https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...-ray-blr-00176
                            - https://www.rightstufanime.com/Fruit...dition-Blu-ray
                            To add fuel to the fire, the announcement for the new anime adaptation was redacted soon after it was posted with a notice from the magazine Fruits Basket is published in to keep an eye out for an announcement on November 20th, which depending on the timing of the announcement in Japan would fall tomorrow here in the US presumably some time in the afternoon.

I honestly wanted to keep an open mind about what this could be and not jump to conclusions about it, but the more I think about it the more the timing makes sense.
                            Last edited by Rootsofjustice; 11-18-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

https://www.funimation.com/blog/pres...to-be-animated
                              Press Release: The beloved masterpiece returns! The full Fruits Basket story is soon to be animated!

The beloved masterpiece returns!

The full Fruits Basket story is soon to be animated!

Manga author Natsuki Takaya will be the executive supervisor of the project:

an all-new series with an all-new cast and staff!

Broadcast begins in 2019 on TV TOKYO and other stations, and the series will stream in North America on FunimationNow.

We're releasing teaser visuals that convey the spirit of the story to come!

I am gratified by the growing prosperity of your company.

A new Fruits Basket anime is in the works that covers the entire manga story. Author Natsuki Takaya will be the executive supervisor, and she was kind enough to write some comments on the occasion. This is a new series with an all-new cast and staff. It will air in 2019 on TV TOKYO and other stations, and North American distributor Funimation has licensed the series for streaming rights on the FunimationNow platform, as well as eventual home video rights. Today we're releasing a teaser visual as well as announcing a portion of the new cast.

Fruits Basket (by Natsuki Takaya) is a wildly popular shojo manga that ran in Hakusensha's Hana to Yume line from 1998 to 2006. Worldwide sales of the comic exceeded 30 million copies. It was made into an anime in 2001 that ran for 26 episodes on TV TOKYO and its affiliates, and it was also adapted for the stage in 2009. The original series was released with an English-language dub by Funimation in North America, for both home video release and digital streaming on the FunimationNow streaming service. The total number of manga volumes was 23 for the first run, and a Collector's Edition has been published in 12 volumes. The manga boasts continuing popularity even now, a decade after its serialization ended.

A spinoff manga called Fruits Basket Another began running online in September of 2015, and its first two print volumes have sold a combined 340,000 copies.

The story's main character is high school student Tohru Honda. She begins living alone in a tent after she loses her mother, who was her only remaining family member. However, it turns out that the land she pitches her tent on is part of the distinguished Sohma family estate! When Shigure Sohma sees the value of her housekeeping skills, Tohru ends up living with Yuki Sohma, who is essentially the prince of her school, and Kyo Sohma, who regards Yuki as the enemy. But there's something Tohru doesn't know yet: the Sohma family has been bound for centuries by a horrible curse...Fruits Basket pairs shojo manga's signature romantic suspense with an unexpected and profound story. The series has received overwhelming support from a broad demographic, especially women. Once you get hooked, you won't be able to stop until the end!

And now, at long last, there will be new Fruits Basket anime that tells the whole story. Author Natsuki Takaya will be the executive supervisor, and she has even given us her official comments on the new adaptation, in which she tells of her warm feelings about the new anime. "First of all, I'd like to offer my sincere congratulations to the staff for bringing us to this announcement day. I may be the manga author, but at the same time, I'm only the manga author. So I think this announcement is a long-awaited recognition of the efforts of all of those directly involved in the anime's production, and that's a relief to me."

This series is a new series with an all-new cast and staff, and broadcast will begin in 2019 on TV TOKYO and other stations. Some of the casting is not yet public, but the main cast is a lineup of talented voice actors: Manaka Iwami as Tohru Honda, Nobunaga Shimazaki as Yuki Sohma, Yuma Uchida as Kyo Sohma, and Yuichi Nakamura as Shigure Sohma. The new staff includes Yoshihide Ibata as director, Taku Kishimoto as series writer, Masaru Shindo as character designer, and TMS Entertainment as the animation studio. That's right: this all-new series will be produced by a team of the best talent in the anime industry.

Moreover, we're releasing a teaser visual of the characters whose new actors have been revealed?Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure. It's a very Fruits Basket image, with the Sohma family giving Tohru a warm welcome as she returns home. Longtime Fruits Basket fans will love it, and people who aren't familiar with Fruits Basket will get a sense of the story.

The official site which went live today has a version of the teaser visual with some fun tricks incorporated, so please take a look at that too.

Although the manga series ended over ten years ago, Fruits Basket still has many fans. This news of the full anime adaptation they've waited so long for is sure to build more buzz around the title. We'll continue to release a stream of new information, so please look forward to that.

Full Text of Executive Supervisor Natsuki Takaya's Comments:

First of all, I'd like to offer my sincere congratulations to the staff for bringing us to this announcement day.

I may be the manga author, but at the same time, I'm only the manga author.

So I think this announcement is a long-awaited recognition of the efforts of all of those directly involved in the anime's production, and that's a relief to me.

As for how I felt when I was first approached about this new series, to be perfectly frank, my reaction was, "What?!"

As for the reason why, well...It's a bit of a long story...It's a personal thing that goes back to when I reached my 20th year as a professional artist.

To commemorate that anniversary, a team made a "voice comic" DVD of Fruits Basket's final chapter.

(It was a prize sent to all the readers who applied for it, and was not on sale.)

To quote the comments I wrote for the DVD pamphlet?

---

My editor asked me if there was anything I wanted to do to celebrate my 20th year in the profession, and I kept replying, "No, don't worry about it; I don't have anything I particularly want."

But then one day, on the spur of the moment I casually said, "I'd love to sit alone somewhere and read (well, listen) to the final chapter of Furuba with sound, with voices, and with the song ?For Fruits Basket' playing, and bawl my eyes out." I was being glib, just sort of building castles in the air and not looking for anything to come of it, but it sparked this project.

[...]

Just as there were happy or fun times while I was writing Fruits Basket, there were painful or sad ones as well.

There were plenty of times when I cried and thought, "I want to quit Fruits Basket."

[...]

And that's exactly why with this voice comic, I feel like I'm getting the chance to arrive at the final chapter of Furuba again, but this time without the pressure.

I'm really and truly reaching the final chapter at last. I feel like I can finally relax.

---

...So as you can see, with that voice comic I thought I'd finally found closure, and brought down the curtain on that chapter of my life. My heart was full of all sorts of emotions.

Later, when the Collector's Edition came out, I also finally got to feel that I was able to depict the younger generation.

...And a new anime means going back to the beginning.

"What?! I closed the curtain on this and now you want to open it again?!?! (lol)"

I never once felt negatively about the project or thought that I didn't want to do it, but still, my first thought was "What?!" (lol)

So, I made several requests right off the bat.

One of those was to do it with a completely new team.

Completely new. Every single person.

I told [the producers], if you want to open the curtain again, then please make it all new. Please rebuild the Furuba world from scratch, with new everything.

Another request was to not make the art look too much like my art.

This was partly because my Furuba art is old now, pure and simple, and also largely because I was in poor health back then (you can find more details about that in the afterword to the Collector's Edition, if you're curious), so my drawing was awfully shaky. Because of that, I wanted them to rebuild the art as well.

Other than that...Well, it was a mix. On some things I gave them detailed thoughts, and on others I gave them my blessing to do as they liked.

The production staff promptly accepted my requests and worked to meet them, and I'm truly grateful to them all. Thank you again.

They also readily gave me permission to visit the recording sessions sometimes, which makes me so happy. I don't actually do anything there; I'm just an observer. (Really, I don't do anything.)

It's a pure delight, getting to see the reels a little early like that.

Creating art that people can truly care about is an overwhelming challenge. When it happens, I feel as grateful for it as I would for a miracle.

I wish for them to maintain their respect for the previous work, while on top of that creating the kind of work that will newly touch as many people as possible.

I'll be a viewer just like the rest of you when the broadcast begins, and I'm looking forward to it.

Natsuki Takaya

Fruits Basket TV Anime Info

The full Fruits Basket story is about to be animated!

Broadcast begins in 2019 on TV TOKYO and other stations.

INTRODUCTION[/B]

High school student Tohru Honda begins living alone in a tent after she loses her mother, who was her only remaining family member.

However, it turns out that the land she pitches her tent on is part of the distinguished Sohma family estate!

When Shigure Sohma sees the value of her housekeeping skills, Tohru ends up living with Yuki Sohma, who is essentially the prince of her school, and Kyo Sohma, who regards Yuki as the enemy.

Still, there's something Tohru doesn't know yet: the Sohma family has been bound for centuries by a horrible curse?

It's a new series with an all-new cast and staff!

STAFF

Executive Supervisor: Natsuki Takaya (Author of the Fruits Basket manga originally published by Hakusensha's Hana to Yume Comics)

Director: Yoshihide Ibata

Series Structure: Taku Kishimoto

Character Design: Masaru Shindo

Animation Produced by: TMS Entertainment

CAST

Manaka Iwami as Tohru Honda

Nobunaga Shimazaki as Yuki Sohma

Yuma Uchida as Kyo Sohma

Yuichi Nakamura as Shigure Sohma

URLs to publish:

■Fruits Basket TV Anime Official Site: https://fruba.jp/

■Official Twitter: @fruba_PR ■Official Instagram: @fruba_pr
                              Last edited by WTK; 11-19-2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Excited that they are FINALLY pulling a "Brotherhood" and completing the story from scratch. I thought the original was an excellent adaptation (to the point to where it got to, at least), so I sm curious how different the new style will be.

FunimationNOW is the bad news for me though :/

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X