• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Funimation licenses Soul Eater

Widgets Magazine
    via TRSI... | HD (Animated at 540p)

Originally posted by TRSI
    Contains episodes 1-26.

Special Features: Episode 7 Commentary, Episode 23 Commentary, Textless Songs, Trailers.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
    Last edited by WTK; 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM.

Re: Soul Eater

Any final word on whether or not FUNimation's release makes use of the materials from the recently-released Japanese Blu-ray sets? I would assume so, since the packaging claims HD Native, but it never hurts to ask.

That being said, I don't know if anyone out there even bothered to pick up the Japanese sets, knowing there were (cheaper) U.S. releases on the way. Though the Japanese sets do have more spiffy packaging, as well as extras that I'm not sure FUNimation's sets would include (such as the new opening and ending sequences and songs from the re-broadcast).
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Screenshots: http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html
      Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
        Uhhhh... huh. Well. That doesn't look like it's all it's cracked up to be.

That shot of Maka on the bridge is absolutely atrocious, though I have no idea if I'm supposed to blame Bones for bad compositing, an unknown Japanese production house for bad Blu-ray production, FUNimation for bad Blu-ray production, or that website for bad screencap-taking. I'd still love to have some screencaps from the Japanese set, just to see.
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Despite what the packaging says (Region A & B)...the first release actually locked to only Region A: LINK. A rather big typo on FUNi's part.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
            Despite what the packaging says (Region A & B)...the first release actually locked to only Region A: LINK. A rather big typo on FUNi's part.
            An update from the same poster:
            It appears that our production department mistakenly locked Region B on this release. We will be re-authoring these disks and making a running change, but will be unable to replace your product as we do not hold the license in the UK. We cannot legally mail product to territories we do not hold the license to.

This product was meant only for US and Canadian customers, and our retailers were only given information saying that this title was Region A coded (as stated on Amazon, PlantAxel, etc). However, we cannot stop our retailers from mailing internationally. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, but you will need to return your product for a refund through the retailer.

Thanks,

Product Concerns

Comment

More confirmation that the releases are supposed to be Region A & B...
              IMMEDIATE RECALL: SOUL EATER COLLECTION 1+2 BLU-RAY - MMB101BR

Posted by Madman @ July 29th, 2011 | Filed Under: News & Announcements

Madman regrets to advise that this product is encoded Region A and will not play on local (Region B) Australian Blu-Ray Players.

In partnership with our US supplier, Madman arranged for Region A+B discs to be supplied, but due to an error on the part of the US manufacturing partner the discs were incorrectly mastered as Region A only.

We have already ordered a new replication run of corrected stock. We’ll have a fixed edition created and resolicit Soul Eater on Blu-Ray in 2012.

For now this stock has been recalled and is not to be sold. Retailers will have received instructions from their Madman account manager.

Customers can receive a refund at their place of purchase.

The upcoming Collection 3+4 Blu-Ray MMB1062BR (September) will also be delayed for release and reissued alongside Collection 1+2.

Madman apologises for any inconvenience and we look forward to announcing a new release window.

Comment

Weapon Collection (Parts 3 & 4) screenshots via Blu-ray.com: LINK.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post

That shot of Maka on the bridge is absolutely atrocious, though I have no idea if I'm supposed to blame Bones for bad compositing, an unknown Japanese production house for bad Blu-ray production, FUNimation for bad Blu-ray production, or that website for bad screencap-taking. I'd still love to have some screencaps from the Japanese set, just to see.
                  I've been watching this for a few days now and the picture quality is really not what I expected for blu-ray. There's barely a smooth line on screen unless it's vertical or horizontal.
                  Moderator: Anime Recommendations, UK/AU

Comment

I've been watching the first collection over the last few days and I've actually been pretty impressed with the image quality. I haven't really noticed any aliasing at all. Show's pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nylock View Post

I've been watching this for a few days now and the picture quality is really not what I expected for blu-ray. There's barely a smooth line on screen unless it's vertical or horizontal.
                      I don't know if Bones has yet discovered what 1080p really means or not. Clearly, "540p" FMA:B was a disappointment, but I don't know exactly what the deal was with Soul Eater. I mean, FUNimation can claim HD Native by using the Japanese masters, but if the Japanese screwed it up at some point, then it's a semantics issue and the result is disappointing, regardless.
                      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Isn't it pretty well known that every BONES series from Darker than Black onwards is 540p? That super jaggy bridge shot happens at roughly 1:27:13 on Disc 2 and for that cut only. Probably a mistake on BONES' end.

I think it looks okay on my 720p TV. Not reference quality and visibly 540p, but it's alright. At least the animation quality is good (sometimes amazing, like all the scenes animated by yutapon.)

Comment

Originally posted by csl View Post
                          Isn't it pretty well known that every BONES series from Darker than Black onwards is 540p?
                          My point, though, is that I'm wondering whether or not that's still the case. It would be great if they could someday bother to bump themselves up, so maybe it's happening and no one's bothered to notice. Has anyone been importing the Gosick Blu-rays?
                          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

My point, though, is that I'm wondering whether or not that's still the case. It would be great if they could someday bother to bump themselves up, so maybe it's happening and no one's bothered to notice. Has anyone been importing the Gosick Blu-rays?
                            Given that they need to produce X number of animation frames to fill 50+ episodes of show, it seems like there'd be a natural tradeoff between making highly detailed frames or lots of them in order to meet time and budget constraints. That's how I try to rationalize their decision to stick with 540p, at least.
                            "This place is weird, but it sure isn't that weird."
                            --
                            My Nanami cel gallery (Last Updated: 05-20-11)
                            Moderating: US BD/DVD, UK BD/DVD, Recommendations, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Originally posted by tuffy View Post
                              Given that they need to produce X number of animation frames to fill 50+ episodes of show, it seems like there'd be a natural tradeoff between making highly detailed frames or lots of them in order to meet time and budget constraints. That's how I try to rationalize their decision to stick with 540p, at least.
                              I get what you're saying, but amount of detail and degree of resolution don't go hand in hand by default. People can produce a short animation featuring stick men in 1080p.

The primary benefit that Bones and others would derive from working in 540p would be that each frame is smaller, so there's less material involved and less work to be done. Though one could argue that because so much of it is done on computers these days, you simply need more processing power, while this sort of thing would have been more of an issue twenty years ago, when your paper would have to be that much larger. Though it would also have been less of an issue twenty years ago because a hand-drawn line on a cel is exactly that, so as long as nobody jacked up the photographing process and sufficient resolution in the method of conveyance was achieved, you wouldn't have resolution issues (which is why cel-based shows look as good as they do on Blu-ray).

So, why is it that other studios can manage 1080p material and Bones can't? Their properties are popular enough; maybe they are just that concerned with penny-pinching. Much to my and others' chagrin.
                              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X