X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samurai Champloo

Hey now, that's promising indeed.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Blu-ray.com forums
      Thank you for contacting FUNimation. I apologize for the delay in response to your question. I was checking on your request. Actually, the discs were re-authored and we used new video.

We’re thrilled that you’re a fan of Samurai Champloo, and we hope you’ll be pleased with the new release.

Rojas

Feedback Manager

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
        Blu-ray.com forums

Thank you for contacting FUNimation. I apologize for the delay in response to your question. I was checking on your request. Actually, the discs were re-authored and we used new video.

We’re thrilled that you’re a fan of Samurai Champloo, and we hope you’ll be pleased with the new release.

Rojas

Feedback Manager

Well, good to have a confirmation. But, why they didn't give the info...

Comment

Originally posted by Damius View Post
          Well, good to have a confirmation. But, why they didn't give the info...
          Who knows. You would think that they would put this info somewhere on the front or back cover to help it sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
            I don't suppose you have the first release for an apples-to-apples comparison, do you?
            I do have both. Or rather, will have both - my copy of the Anime Classics release shipped about a week ago, but typically shipping to the Netherlands takes about two weeks, so I expect it to arrive next week and can do comparisons then.
            No Blu-Ray, No Buy. Seriously, it's 2016.
            My Backlog

Comment

Who knows. You would think that they would put this info somewhere on the front or back cover to help it sell.
              Doing that would validate their incompetency with the first release. I doubt they'll want to upset a lot of the buyers of the original release by promoting something that should've been done properly in the first place. Though I could also be wrong and they did intend to inform about this 'better' release. Still, the decision not to advertise the improvement works as damage control since it's technically under a new SKU.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                Doing that would validate their incompetency with the first release. I doubt they'll want to upset a lot of the buyers of the original release by promoting something that should've been done properly in the first place. Though I could also be wrong and they did intend to inform about this 'better' release. Still, the decision not to advertise the improvement works as damage control since it's technically under a new SKU.
                They could have always billed it as a "remastered special edition" or something. Remember, the average viewer doesn't give a damn about this sort of thing, whether because they don't know the difference or simply don't care as long as it's "high definition," so there are undoubtedly a lot of folks who would have just said, "well, the one I have looks fine, I don't understand why they would re-do it."
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                  FWIW, the first BD boxset was technically still under Geneon USA with FUNimation doing its distribution. With this Anime Classics release, Geneon was removed from the SKU and the front/back covers. And speaking of advertisements, it appears that they didn't do a new or updated trailer for these releases. The ones posted appeared to be the same one as the first BD boxset.
                  Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                  They could have always billed it as a "remastered special edition" or something. Remember, the average viewer doesn't give a damn about this sort of thing, whether because they don't know the difference or simply don't care as long as it's "high definition," so there are undoubtedly a lot of folks who would have just said, "well, the one I have looks fine, I don't understand why they would re-do it."
                  That's the thing, typically studios loved to put that on the release title. Maybe it's just something that got missed. Or maybe they don't want the release title to run too long. Who know.

Comment

Originally posted by GHDpro View Post
                    I do have both. Or rather, will have both - my copy of the Anime Classics release shipped about a week ago, but typically shipping to the Netherlands takes about two weeks, so I expect it to arrive next week and can do comparisons then.
                    Sigh, so the one order I wanted to get fast took over three weeks to arrive, while other Rightstuf orders that shipped later had arrived already

Anyway, I just did a quick comparison and yes, the encodes are different. The new edition has noticeably more grain/noise and also clearly a lot more detail.

I don't have a Blu-ray player in my PC though, so I can't make any screen captures and I doubt a photo would work well.
                    No Blu-Ray, No Buy. Seriously, it's 2016.
                    My Backlog

Comment

- Samurai Champloo - Official Opening - "Battlecry"
                      - Samurai Champloo - Official Ending - "Shiki No Uta"
                      Last edited by WTK; 01-13-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

via Funimation Shop & TRSI:

Samurai Champloo: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (Classics) - 650 minutes - $49.98 - 2/5/19
                        - https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...c-bd-blr-00306
                        Special Features: ""Battlecry"" Promo Video, Promo Video, Teaser Trailer, Conceptual Art, Bumper Gallery, Textless Songs, Trailers

Comment

Samurai Champloo | Trailer

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X