Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Samurai Champloo

Widgets Magazine
    via TRSI... | Upscale / 2nd U.S. BD release, first release under FUNimation SKU

Originally posted by TRSI
    Contains episodes 1-26.

Special Features: "Battlecry" (Opening) Promo Video, Teaser Trailer, Conceptual Art, Bumper Gallery, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

Re: Samurai Champloo

Has anybody bought the Classic Line release that can say whether it's the same as the previous release or if they did a new encode for it?
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
      Has anybody bought the Classic Line release that can say whether it's the same as the previous release or if they did a new encode for it?
      There was this via Blu-ray.com forums
      I talked to the FUNimation rep when these titles were first "announced" by retailers.

It is just a repackage of the existing set, smaller. The double case boxed sets take up too much store space, and they want to get their product on shelves. This is one way to do it. Three disc one case versions.

Do not expect a remaster or anything different. Unless something has changed, which I highly doubt since my source does work for the company and has for some time, this is only for those who didn't buy in earlier. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is straight from their mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
        There was this via Blu-ray.com forums
        I saw that before but I'm wanting actual confirmation from someone that has the discs in hand though.

Comment

Blu-ray.com review

Comparing the screenshots from this set to the shots from the last set, it appears that Funi have done a new encode for it. The intentional grain is present unlike the last set where it was scrubbed away with DNR and the heavy smearing is gone too. It looks much better to me.

Comment

Blu-ray.com review

Comparing the screenshots from this set to the shots from the last set, it appears that Funi have done a new encode for it. The intentional grain is present unlike the last set where it was scrubbed away with DNR and the heavy smearing is gone too. It looks much better to me.
            Well, it's a surprised for me they redo it. Good news I suppose.

Comment

Blu-ray.com review

To paraphrase the Internet: non-resized and uncompressed PNGs, or it didn't happen.
              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
              Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
              Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I saw that before but I'm wanting actual confirmation from someone that has the discs in hand though.
                I'd report now, but due to the bad weather that has wait until tomorrow.
                Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                  To paraphrase the Internet: non-resized and uncompressed PNGs, or it didn't happen.
                  Did you click on them? They're 1920x1080. They're also JPEGs at highest quality so there isn't much of a difference from PNGs.

I did a few comparison shots between the R1 DVD and the shots from the review of the new set:

1 - R1 / BD
                  2 - R1 / BD
                  3 - R1 / BD

Comment

Did you click on them? They're 1920x1080. They're also JPEGs at highest quality so there isn't much of a difference from PNGs.
                    They're only 720p if you're not a member and signed in.
                    Moderator: Anime Recommendations, UK/AU

Comment

I got the discs now. The Anime Classics release of Samurai Champloo is essentially region-free, regions A&B even though the cover art and discs claim it's A only and the grain effect is definetely there. Sorry, no pics. Anyway the effect is better seen in live playback.
                      Last edited by ComSR; 05-25-2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComSR View Post
                        I got the discs now. The Anime Classics release of Samurai Champloo is essentially region-free, regions A&B even though the cover art and discs claim it's A only and the grain effect is definetely there. Sorry, no pics. Anyway the effect is better seen in live playback.
                        I don't suppose you have the first release for an apples-to-apples comparison, do you?
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                          I don't suppose you have the first release for an apples-to-apples comparison, do you?
                          Nope... I skipped the DVDs and the first Blu-ray set. The grain effect is best observed during a slow paced scene where nothing really moves. How'd I describe it? The picture itself stays still, but the grain texture keeps moving...

Comment

Originally posted by xScar
                            If you give me the old screenshot and ep and timestamp, I'll take a look -- just got my copy in.

Pretty sure it's just a repackaging as it's been said since it has the same disc art, same menus, etc.

EDIT:
                            Unless someone screwed up when taking the original box screenshot from Blu-ray.com, this is indeed a new encode. I used this screenshot solely because I knew I could easily locate it without a timestamp. I can do more if need be.

Original Boxset | Anime Classics

Comment

With the Geneon/FUNi thinpak boxset I have being worth more than this release's MSRP on the second hand market, I absolutely will be upgrading.
                              Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X