Widgets Magazine

Niconico region-locking currently identifies US IP addresses as non-US/Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] Niconico region-locking currently identifies US IP addresses as non-US/Canada

Widgets Magazine
    I tried to play several of the videos from ch.niconico.com just now, only to get this error message:

Failed to play the video

This video can only be viewed from the following regions:
    CANADA
    UNITED STATES
    …despite the fact that I'm in the U.S. I also see that some people on the old forum say they're having the same problem. So, I sent Niconico a problem report using their support form.

(Oh and by the way, the forum software here wouldn't let me pick the appropriate thread prefix "[Streaming]"; the only ones it offered were "[R4 DVD]" and "[TV]". I tried it with two different Web browsers, and got the same results with both.)
    Last edited by Dracula on a bike; 01-23-2012, 04:26 AM. Reason: typo
    User of Arch Linux and KDE

"Maybe it's A Salty Dog that makes you A Whiter Shade of Pale!" - Yusaku Godai (Maison Ikkoku)

Re: Niconico region-locking currently identifies US IP addresses as non-US/Canada

Originally posted by Dracula on a bike View Post
    I tried to play several of the videos from ch.niconico.com just now, only to get this error message:

Failed to play the video

This video can only be viewed from the following regions:
    CANADA
    UNITED STATES
    …despite the fact that I'm in the U.S. I also see that some people on the old forum say they're having the same problem. So, I sent Niconico a problem report using their support form.

(Oh and by the way, the forum software here wouldn't let me pick the appropriate thread prefix "[Streaming]"; the only ones it offered were "[R4 DVD]" and "[TV]". I tried it with two different Web browsers, and got the same results with both.)
    I'm from Canada and I'm getting the message as well, was able to play the video yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Re: Niconico region-locking currently identifies US IP addresses as non-US/Canada

Wow, and I thought it was impossible for their streaming anime service to suck any worse than it did but they found a way! Same issue here. I've left them a post on Facebook as well.

Comment

Welcome to No Export for You, enjoyed by many people worldwide. We aim to please (our middlemen) and are working hard to bring you the latest unobtainium.

Spoiler ->This post cointains sarcasm.

Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

Originally posted by halo View Post
          I thought it was impossible for their streaming anime service to suck any worse than it did
          It didn't seem so bad to me (though right now it does, obviously). Crunchyroll's player just couldn't play 720-resolution videos here (its encoding bitrate and maximum buffer size were such that it could only play a few minutes before pausing to wait for the buffer to refill, and it also seemed to drop frames when playing on my old slow-ish computer), but I had none of those problems with Niconico. (It seems that, similar to Youtube and unlike Hulu and Crunchyroll, they don't limit the buffer size, i.e. the entire video can be held in the buffer at once. This is a nice feature for people with slow connections.)
          User of Arch Linux and KDE

"Maybe it's A Salty Dog that makes you A Whiter Shade of Pale!" - Yusaku Godai (Maison Ikkoku)

Comment

Originally posted by Dracula on a bike View Post
            I thought it was impossible for their streaming anime service to suck any worse than it did
            It didn't seem so bad to me (though right now it does, obviously). Crunchyroll's player just couldn't play 720-resolution videos here (its encoding bitrate and maximum buffer size were such that it could only play a few minutes before pausing to wait for the buffer to refill, and it also seemed to drop frames when playing on my old slow-ish computer), but I had none of those problems with Niconico. (It seems that, similar to Youtube and unlike Hulu and Crunchyroll, they don't limit the buffer size, i.e. the entire video can be held in the buffer at once. This is a nice feature for people with slow connections.)
            It's also nice for those with fast enough connections since NicoNico's CDN can't stream most HD video in real time without having to buffer every few seconds.

Comment

It's also nice for those with fast enough connections since NicoNico's CDN can't stream most HD video in real time without having to buffer every few seconds.
              Nico must be using RealPlayer. Buffering... buffering...
              Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting the same here with Nico. And on top of that, I'm being region-blocked at Funimation.com as well. Been that way since the 19th. Crunchyroll, TAN and Hulu all work just fine though.
                What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

Still says the same thing for me from yesterday. Hopefully it gets fixed sometime this week.

Comment

Oh, there was a thread for this. At least it's not just me, but it sucks that it's still a problem. There are only 2 shows I care about on Niconico on this point, and they're not favorites by any means, but it's annoying to not be able to watch them when they're listed as available.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    Fandom Post Radio

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                      Still says the same thing for me from yesterday. Hopefully it gets fixed sometime this week.
                      It's working for me now.

Comment

It's working for me now.
                        Same for me. Unfortunately, I'm still being blocked at Funimation.com. Oh well, at least I can now finally watch Future Diary Ep. 14 on Nico.
                        What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X