X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S'more Entertainment adds Galaxy Express 999 TV anime

Originally posted by sickvisionz View Post
    Originally posted by NJ
    He's probably referring to the fact that the masters Toei gave them were the same used for the Japanese Blu-rays which were known to have been a pretty bad transfer.
    I've heard some pretty damning things about the BDs but then I see screenshots like these and scratch my head trying to figure out how a 30-40 year old movie looking like that is considered terrible and borderline unwatchable due to video quality. I've seen modern shows on Blu-ray that aren't even close to looking that good.
    I think it was because the picture was said to be excessively filtered with DVNR to eliminate film grain, which can result in loss of details.
    Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

Originally posted by ComSR View Post
      Originally posted by NJ
      He's probably referring to the fact that the masters Toei gave them were the same used for the Japanese Blu-rays which were known to have been a pretty bad transfer.
      I've heard some pretty damning things about the BDs but then I see screenshots like these and scratch my head trying to figure out how a 30-40 year old movie looking like that is considered terrible and borderline unwatchable due to video quality. I've seen modern shows on Blu-ray that aren't even close to looking that good.
      I think it was because the picture was said to be excessively filtered with DVNR to eliminate film grain, which can result in loss of details.
      There is also an aspect ratio controversy. The GE 999 films were composed and animated for a full screen aspect ratio (1.33:1 or thereabouts) but the DVDs have the "matted" version.

There is some debate about how it was shown in theatres. My guess is that it was "matted" for its theatrical release, even though it was "shot" for a 1.33:1 display. For an animated film at least, there are some who prefer to see it in the display it was originally drawn and composed, although there are also those who want it the way it was shown in theatres. The masters Discotek got obviously went with the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ
        I've heard some pretty damning things about the BDs but then I see screenshots like these (link1 link2 link3) and scratch my head trying to figure out how a 30-40 year old movie looking like that is considered terrible and borderline unwatchable due to video quality. I've seen modern shows on Blu-ray that aren't even close to looking that good.
        I thought the same thing as you until I actually owned the DVD versions. There's much to what people say about how you don't really know what video quality is until you see it in motion. This release is a DISASTER. They took a 35 mm film that should have a filmic presentation and scrubbed the detail away until it looks like a flash cartoon like My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. This is one of the few releases I couldn't watch all the way through, it was about to make me throw up. I don't think I even opened the second one yet. Does anyone know if its any better?

I don't blame Discotek for this. It's Toei's fault. I'm still glad I bought it, because it supports Leiji Matsumoto and Rin Taro in R1. Still, these films need a do over. Even Warner Brothers is going back and redoing some of the transfers they DNRed to death in HD. Toei should do the same.

Comment

I have the Discotek DVD of the first movie but it looked absolutely great to me - nothing like a flash cartoon - and loads better than older Matsumoto releases like Animeigo's Arcadia. Probably because I'm still watching on a CRT, right?

Comment

The Discotek DVD didn't look bad to me either, though it didn't look like a film from 1979 anymore. It kinded of reminded me of one of Disney's restorations, but nothing caught me off guard. If I was watching the Japanese Blu-ray on a large TV, then I'd probably have a different opinion.
            Last edited by kyon; 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I don't even know what the point of HD is if there's no detail. This was like if they took the Mona Lisa and a hard bristled brush and rubbed away at it until there was nothing but outlines anymore and just a solid brown background behind her. I don't think comparing it to oldschool VHS tapes or 2000 era DVD is fair. That stuff came from analog video sources. There's not much you can do with it. This, however, came from the negative. It could have looked fantastic, but they choose to ruin it on their own. Toei definitely deserves criticism. I thought it would be OK since it's not HD and just an SD-DVD, but I was wrong. lol
              Last edited by Dr. Loomis; 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I am interested. Unless I hear the quality is horrible I'll pick it up.

Comment

Definitely interested in this. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it, hopefully we get pricing and release info soon.
                  SAMA-FUN #04 / TOFU #01 / Sentai Kaiser / Game Reviews / Twitter
                  Although his fighting spirit burns like fire, his mind is as calm as still water
                  Watching: Initial D 5th Stage, Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Space Brothers, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Kamen Rider Wizard

Comment

Well, it took 9 days but S'more finally replied to me, and it has extra info, specifically about GE999's release:
                    It's true, we're releasing "Bobobo..." part 1 March 27 with the second half of the series to follow later in 2012.

We've also acquired the rights to "Galaxy Express 999" and are planning our initial release in July-August, 2012.
                    All the elements have come directly from TOEI so we anticipate they'll look great. The goal is to release both series in their entirety.

Spread the word!
                    Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                    Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BØY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BØY

Comment

Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
                      Well, it took 9 days but S'more finally replied to me, and it has extra info, specifically about GE999's release:
                      It's true, we're releasing "Bobobo..." part 1 March 27 with the second half of the series to follow later in 2012.

We've also acquired the rights to "Galaxy Express 999" and are planning our initial release in July-August, 2012.
                      All the elements have come directly from TOEI so we anticipate they'll look great. The goal is to release both series in their entirety.

Spread the word!

The bold part was added by me.

That's what ALL companies says when they license a series.

If they release the entire "GE999" as a box set, I'll buy it right away. Otherwise, I'm going to wait and see.

Danny

Comment

via The Fandompost article
                        ...On GE999, after listening to input, we will only offer the episodes in the Japanese language with sub-titles. There are no English language tracks and we will not be creating them for this release.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                          via The Fandompost article
                          ...On GE999, after listening to input, we will only offer the episodes in the Japanese language with sub-titles. There are no English language tracks and we will not be creating them for this release.
                          I'm calling it now: Hardcoded subtitles.
                          Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                            I'm calling it now: Hardcoded subtitles.
                            It's certainly possible.

Whatever the series treatment will be, I know I won't be pre-ordering (especially considering there are three sets planned for this series). I may order it later on once everything is released and with good feedback. It's just too bad that Discotek couldn't license and release this series instead of S'more Ent.

Comment

Well i am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, i mean they know that such title won't sell like some others. As an old school fan i would buy such titles in a heart beat, but if i am running a licensing company then i would probably think twice before licensing them. I will also wait for the review of the first set at least before buying it just to play it safe. For me, i would settle for a bare bone release remastered from the R2 DVDs with proper English sub.
                              Last edited by Shin Mazinger; 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM.
                              Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Mazinger View Post
                                Well i am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, i mean they know that such title won't sell like some others. As an old school fan i would buy such titles in a heart beat, but if i am running a licensing company then i would probably think twice before licensing them. I will also wait for the review of the first set at least before buying it just to play it safe. For me, i would settle for a bare bone release remastered from the R2 DVDs with proper English sub.
                                The subs would probably be full of errors as they are Toei's subtitles and going by Bobobo, I can't imagine S'More would spend the time and money to actually rewrite them. Since they've announced that they're taking materials from the remastered GE999 release, I would expect the video to be good. I guess a winning release in this case would be soft subs.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X