Widgets Magazine

GKIDS licenses Neon Genesis Evangelion / Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] GKIDS licenses Neon Genesis Evangelion / Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time

Widgets Magazine
    https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...28559005548544
    GKIDS is proud to announce the acquisition of the North American home video and theatrical rights to NEON GENESIS EVANGELION.

Properties included:
    ▸ NEON GENESIS EVANGELION (26 ep. TV series)
    ▸ EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)²
    ▸ THE END OF EVANGELION

http://evangelion.gkids.com
    https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...28560842706944
    Coming to Blu-ray (including an Ultimate Edition) and on Digital Download-to-Own in 2021, marking the 1st time #Evangelion will be available on Blu-ray in N. America.

http://evangelion.gkids.com
    Follow @GKIDSfilms for updates!
    #Evangelion25th #NeonGenesisEvangelion #エヴァ25周年
    https://gkids.com/2020/10/03/gkids-a...sis-evangelion
    GKIDS Acquires North American Rights to “Neon Genesis Evangelion”

Historic Properties to Arrive on Blu-ray and Digital Download-to-Own in 2021

GKIDS, the acclaimed producer and distributor of animation for adult and family audiences, announced it has acquired North American theatrical, home video and EST rights to the critically-acclaimed NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. Included in the landmark deal are the original twenty-six episode television series, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, as well as the films EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)2 and THE END OF EVANGELION. All three properties will be released on Blu-ray and on digital download-to-own in 2021. This is the first time NEON GENESIS EVANGELION will be available on Blu-ray in North America.

The deal, finalized on the eve of the storied saga’s 25th anniversary, was negotiated by GKIDS’ President David Jesteadt and King Records.

Created by Hideaki Anno, the NEON GENESIS EVANGELION television series is considered one of the most influential animated series of all time. Since its 1995 premiere in Japan, the story of teenager Shinji Ikari has remained one of the most iconic titles in animation history, and a global pop culture phenomenon.

“Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of the first titles that transformed my idea of what animation is truly capable of,” said GKIDS’ President David Jesteadt. “GKIDS was created with the intent to distribute the best animation in the world, and it’s an honor to help share such a groundbreaking work with North American audiences in new formats.”
    Last edited by WTK; 10-03-2020, 06:18 PM.

Oh.

Comment

I sure wasn't expecting this. I'm hoping that they are able to have Fly Me To the Moon for the ending unlike with what Netflix has.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
      Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
      Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post
        Oh.
        This is more or less my reaction until we find out:

- Which dubs (not having both is going to turn off a lot of people)
        - Fly Me to the Moon in it or not
        - Packaging. I hope it’s as slick as the Japanese version
        Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Couple things to note:
          - "Deal...was negotiated by GKIDS' President David Jesteadt and King Records"
          - Ultimate Edition was mentioned, so they're likely to work with Anime Limited again (and maybe using Shout! Factory as distributor).

I wonder if they're the frontrunner to acquire Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time? Different publisher is involved (should still be NTV). Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone is currently OOP from Funimation. Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance and Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo are still in-print for now.

Comment

Wow. I wasn't expecting for the company to finally pull this off to be the only one to have never licensed a series. Given their usual licenses, the timing of this one, and Funimation's history with 3.0, I honestly wouldn't think it impossible to see GKIDS grab 3.0+1.0. The franchise is in a weird place, but this is huge news and very welcome, even though there are still big questions regarding the fate of Fly Me to the Moon and the original dub. The latter would be nice, but I'm really hoping for at least the former. I do have ADV's Platinum tin, which I won't be getting rid of, but as long as this has Fly Me to the Moon, I don't think I'll have any reservations with using it as the definitive version, even if some of the translations Khara demanded are less than ideal.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            Fandom Post Radio

Comment

^ Ronja, the Robber's Daughter is actually the first TV series to be released from GKIDS.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                ^ Ronja, the Robber's Daughter is actually the first TV series to be released from GKIDS.
                Ah, forgot about that. Still a more out-of-the-blue license, given how Ronja tied into their Ghibli library, which is why a 3.0+1.0 license from them would cause this to make more sense in retrospect despite Funimation having licensed the previous ones, so then their only series licenses would still all be tied to their norm of movie licenses.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                Fandom Post Radio

Comment

This is my question now too...who is going to license the fourth movie? And if it’s not Funi, who will be the dub cast? That’s going to piss a LOT of people off if they change the dub cast for the final movie. Unless they license and redub the first three movies too.
                  Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Well, this was a surprise. I was NOT expecting that at all!
                    BAGEL AND BECKY ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm just going to put down my bet right now & say that the ADV dub will ONLY be available via the Ultimate Edition release. I just have this feeling that Khara is going to pull what Sunrise did with Gundam Seed & put a "limited edition tax" (f you will) on the original dub, so that the Netflix dub can be given the primary focus; if you want the ADV dub, then pay the extra money for the Ultimate Edition. As for "Fly Me to the Moon", I expect that to be brought back, since it was generally indicated that its omission in the stream was solely because Netflix was just being cheap.

I have to be proven wrong with this, but I just think we'll be getting another Gundam Seed situation here. Yes, Seed was also a special case because of the new content, but Shawne Kleckner has also indicated that Sunrise just didn't really care about the old dub in general, since they have a newer, shinier dub to promote, and I think Khara will have a similar outlook as Sunrise in this case.
                      Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                      Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

I'm willing to give this a chance. Sign me up!

Maybe Gkids will get SDF Macross. You never know >_>

Comment

Originally posted by mamochan View Post
                          Maybe Gkids will get SDF Macross. You never know >_>
                          FUNimation has the current licensing deal with Harmony Gold regarding Robotech, so if anyone is going to re-release Macross, it'd be FUNi.
                          Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                          Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

I trust GKIDS to make the effort to give us a release the best that they possibly can with the resources at their disposal. I'm very happy with how they handled the Ghibli catalogue, so I am looking forward to see what they do with Evangelion.

I haven't rewatched the series in a long, long time, but my Platinum Edition DVDs are still one of my prized releases on my shelf. And my NERV parking permit is on its fourth car windshield now. The red hasn't faded much at all for being a 15+ year old decal!
                            Ana & Matsuri's breezy summer style || my avatar library
                            ~ Currently Watching: The Familiar of Zero; DARLING in the FRANXX
                            ~ Last Watched: SSSS.DYNAZENON; Revolutionary Girl Utena (series & film); She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-; Aoi Hana; Birthday Wonderland
                            homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

I totally forgot that Netflix changed the ending themes... I want to sell my Platinum set, but I think I'll wait until I get confirmation on that.

I think Death and Rebirth was changed too, from its original format?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X