Widgets Magazine

1 & Only Crunchyroll / VRV General News (Apps, Website,...) Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] 1 & Only Crunchyroll / VRV General News (Apps, Website,...) Thread

Widgets Magazine
    via TFP
    Numbers are usually hard to come by in the anime world and even when we do it’s more anecdotal than firm, but a bit of new information out of AnimeAnime.biz indicates that Crunchyroll is doing what the Japanese licensors had hoped for. With Crunchyroll being at the forefront of legal digital distribution in 2009 when it went that route, it’s carved out a good base that’s seeing more competition coming on ever since, causing them to have to focus more on presentation as well as diversity of product each season. According to the article, Crunchyroll has about 70,000 paying customers at this time, which was revealed during a conference call last week. In reading the piece, it looks as if the company had about 30,000 paying members in the summer of 2010 and has grown significantly over the past year, at the same time that we’ve seen a more pronounced push from The Anime Network, Viz Media, FUNimation and the Japanese entry of Nico Nico.

Not surprisingly, the strong partnership with TV Tokyo has helped to get all of this off the ground and it’s helping to show that overseas delivery of episodes on a weekly basis is a new revenue stream that can be achieved. Even more importantly, though not to the same level as the Japanese see important to deal with in their home region, is that it is cutting down on illegal distribution. No solid numbers are produced, but there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence with fansub groups putting out less, going after fewer shows and in some cases giving up much earlier in the run as the simulcasts grow and are often coming associated with home video licenses through other companies as well.

[Source: AnimeAnime.biz]

Re: Crunchyroll Averaging 70,000 Paid Subscribers

That's good for them! And for us as well, since it will help to bring more shows.

Comment

Good for CR.

Comment

How many of those 70000 actually make a lot of use of the site would be interesting ... personally I have a paid subscription on there but tend to not watch as much from their as I would like, (so much back log, so little time).

I think it gets the most use when my Parents come to visit as my Dad likes watching Chi's Sweet Home
        Avatar: Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad) by Fudce
        Currently Watching: UN-GO
        [Collection March '12]

Comment

That's great for them. Hopefully that is a sign of great things to come. I was not a member until last month since my internet connection was so slow that watching HD streams was not feasible. Now that my internet connection is upgraded that I became a subscriber, and life has been great ever since I subscribed. Let's hope that means more great shows are coming.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
          Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Well, I'm a subscriber, and it's been great for me, being able to watch shows without commercials and the like, and the higher definition of the videos has been a huge bonus. Crunchyroll has done okay by me.
            "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."
            ---old Irish proverb
            Check out my MAL list!

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
              Even more importantly, though not to the same level as the Japanese see important to deal with in their home region, is that it is cutting down on illegal distribution. No solid numbers are produced, but there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence with fansub groups putting out less, going after fewer shows and in some cases giving up much earlier in the run as the simulcasts grow and are often coming associated with home video licenses through other companies as well.
              Boy, that anecdotal sure is doing a lot of work there, isn't it?
              VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
              Vivid Impact!
              Vividred Operation

Comment

Originally posted by memyselfandi View Post
                How many of those 70,000 actually make a lot of use of the site would be interesting ... personally I have a paid subscription on there but tend to not watch as much from their as I would like, (so much back log, so little time).
                I'm a paid subscriber and I use the site as much as I can, save for the crappy forums. Besides watching the new simulcasts I've been watching some of the older shows like Slam Dunk and (currently) Eyeshield 21, and I do read their columns from time to time.
                Currently Watching | MAL Profile
                Let's make anime great again!

Comment

What's the estimated size of the fansub-leeching demographic? Calling it a "community" seems somewhat arbitrary and unjustified... about 100k? 150k? Monetizing one half to two-thirds strikes me as fairly good news for the Japanese, if true.

I'm a paying CR member, but I'm using it less and less as time goes on. Combination of low enthusiasm for new shows and a disinclination to watch TV on my computer these days...

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch H. View Post
                    What's the estimated size of the fansub-leeching demographic? Calling it a "community" seems somewhat arbitrary and unjustified... about 100k? 150k? Monetizing one half to two-thirds strikes me as fairly good news for the Japanese, if true.

I'm a paying CR member, but I'm using it less and less as time goes on. Combination of low enthusiasm for new shows and a disinclination to watch TV on my computer these days...
                    Get a ROKU box. You can watch CR on your tv with it. It's what I do.
                    I love my sons Lucas & Joseph!
                    - My Anime List - My PSN Profile -

Comment

1 & Only Crunchyroll Apps Thread (PS4, PS3, XBox,...)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/devices
                      • Android
                      • Apple iOS
                      • Apple TV
                      • Google TV
                      • Panasonic TV
                      • Playstation 3
                      • Playstation 4
                      • Ouya
                      • Roku
                      • Samsung TV
                      • WD TV Live
                      • Vizio Via
                      • Xbox 360
                      • Windows Phone

---EDIT---

via CR
                      News: Crunchyroll Apps to Launch on PlayStation 3 and Samsung TVs!
                      via CR
                      Crunchyroll Apps to Launch on PlayStation 3 and Samsung TVs

Anime streaming expands on both platforms this summer

Just announced at today’s Anime Expo, Crunchyroll is bringing its anime streaming application to two new platforms this summer, with the addition of Crunchyroll to the PlayStation 3 system and Samsung Smart TVs. An app for PlayStation Vita is also set to follow later this year.

Availability of the PlayStation 3 application will start off in the U.S. and Canada, and Crunchyroll will offer a 30-day free trial for users who download the app from PlayStation Network.

Those who have access to a Samsung Smart TV will be able to get the Crunchyroll app via the Samsung Smart TV Smart Hub in July.

That’s right; Crunchyroll is coming to PS3 and Samsung Smart TV! You may now start dancin’ in the streets.
                      Last edited by WTK; 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Re: Crunchyroll apps to launch on PlayStation 3 and Samsung TVs

Can they make a proper app for VIA tvs...please?
                        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

It's about time they added a PS3 app. If they allow for 720p through it, I'll finally have enough of a reason to subscribe likely in the Fall.
                          DVD/BD collection
                          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Awesome, definitely can't wait to use the Samsung app. :3
                            Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

I'm definitely interested in the PS3 app (provided that it's can stream 720p).

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X