Widgets Magazine

Harmony Gold extends Robotech / Macross license with Tatsunoko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget RT, I can only dream we get some way to finally legally purchase Macross anything in English.

Comment

The pessimist (realist?) in me looks at the PR info and sees only one concrete takeaway at the moment: that this lets Harmony Gold be finally free and clear of any possible backend legal issues in their ongoing mildly successful business model of reheating Robotech IP leftovers.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly significant and positive step in this whole ongoing saga. But saying things like "allow[ing] immediate international distribution" and "both parties will cooperate on distribution regarding future Macross and Robotech projects" in no way suggests or directly leads to Macross Blu-rays under the Christmas tree at this time.

It's also worth pointing out that while this news was being distributed yesterday while being facilitated by Funimation (who let's not forget is now owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment via its Sony Pictures Television division), in much bigger entertainment news Sony Pictures Entertainment was announcing a multi-year exclusivity deal with Netflix for streaming of new Sony films starting in 2022. What an amazing coincidence (he deadpanned while glancing idly about the room).

So I mean, all things considered, a likely outcome of being able to watch Macross Plus in HD on Netflix is pretty cool for a lot of people. Doesn't do a thing for me personally.
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Just saw a video on YT where someone was talking about news that the legal battle between Harmony Gold and Big West is now over and that Macross might get releases outside of Japan

Link to said video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfmwoOtYpEw

Comment

If this leads to a domestic Bluray release of Macross DYRL, then I'd be all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mamochan View Post
            Did Hell freeze over? This means we'll see finally see SDF Macross on Blu-ray. I would love to see Macross Frontier on blu-ray. Come on Big West.
            Unfortunately Macross Frontier probably has major issues because of music licenses. It will be expensive for whoever brings it over or perhaps they will end up removing some of the music which would not be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulblazer View Post
              Unfortunately Macross Frontier probably has major issues because of music licenses. It will be expensive for whoever brings it over or perhaps they will end up removing some of the music which would not be good.
              I can't speak for Frontier but I had always heard that it was 7 which had the music-related issues.
              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                I can't speak for Frontier but I had always heard that it was 7 which had the music-related issues.
                The latter scenario definitely rings a bell, but only now that you mentioned it.

Maybe international licensing to all of Macross is still shot in spite of what's happened here.

Comment

I would imagine that Big West will be more than happy to assist with negotiating any of the potential music rights licensing, as long as it results in Macross finally being given regular access outside of Japan. I really doubt Big West & Harmony Gold would have made a big fuss about this news if music rights were still going to prevent Macross' chances outside of Japan.
                  Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                  Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post

Macross 7 is the one that had the extra baggage of music-related issues, since there's not only the matter of the Fire Bomber vocal tracks but also the use of music from both Macross Plus and Macross II.

Back when Manga Entertainment was able to secure licenses for Plus and II, they had also investigated licensing 7, which obviously never came to fruition. Overall licensing issues aside, Keith Burgess at the time stated on more than one occasion that the music fees alone would have made it unfeasible. Music rights are a particular thing as I think we all know, and clearly having the licenses to Plus and II as whole units would have provided no benefit.

A lot of time has gone by, but neither that nor the outline of this new announcement in any way guarantees the issues, money or otherwise, have been resolved or mitigated. We'll just have to wait and see what, if anything, actually materializes.
                    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

On the subjects of audio, music, Macross Plus, Manga Entertainment, licensing, and problems... it occurs to me that the one thing I would really like to get out of all of this is a "correct" English version of Macross Plus episode 4.

The short version for anyone who doesn't know, is that the spat between all the companies involved resulted in Manga not being able to secure a clean music and effects track for Animaze to use when mixing the dub for episode 4. So the version present on Manga's VHS and DVD releases uses music cues and sound effects pulled from episodes 1-3, as well as some stock effects. Subsequently, when Bandai Visual went to release the JP "international" edition, they were not allowed to (or simply did not want to, for obvious reasons) use Manga's episode 4 dub, so they commissioned a new one for that episode alone, which features the real music and effects track, but also significant recasting.

(Worth noting here that when Bandai Visual released Macross Plus on Blu-ray more recently, they also did not have access to Manga's subtitles for the movie edition so they commissioned their own for that purpose as well. The quality of those subtitles is, generously speaking, hot garbage. So that's something else to fix.)

In theory, the original vocal stems could simply be paired with the real music and effects track, and bang, you'd have a "new" episode 4 dub that is finally "correct."

In reality of course this relies on things coming together which are hardly simple. Do the original mix elements for the Manga/Animaze dub even still exist? Would all the parties involved, including whoever may in theory license and release Macross Plus (again) Stateside, want to attempt or even include such a project, versus (or alongside) a wholesale redub for a higher quality audio mix?

It's a nice idea to hope for, if nothing else.
                      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

If properly preserved they absolutely could just swap the stems if they are time coded correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                          On the subjects of audio, music, Macross Plus, Manga Entertainment, licensing, and problems... it occurs to me that the one thing I would really like to get out of all of this is a "correct" English version of Macross Plus episode 4.

The short version for anyone who doesn't know, is that the spat between all the companies involved resulted in Manga not being able to secure a clean music and effects track for Animaze to use when mixing the dub for episode 4. So the version present on Manga's VHS and DVD releases uses music cues and sound effects pulled from episodes 1-3, as well as some stock effects. Subsequently, when Bandai Visual went to release the JP "international" edition, they were not allowed to (or simply did not want to, for obvious reasons) use Manga's episode 4 dub, so they commissioned a new one for that episode alone, which features the real music and effects track, but also significant recasting.

In theory, the original vocal stems could simply be paired with the real music and effects track, and bang, you'd have a "new" episode 4 dub that is finally "correct."

In reality of course this relies on things coming together which are hardly simple. Do the original mix elements for the Manga/Animaze dub even still exist? Would all the parties involved, including whoever may in theory license and release Macross Plus (again) Stateside, want to attempt or even include such a project, versus (or alongside) a wholesale redub for a higher quality audio mix?

It's a nice idea to hope for, if nothing else.
                          Whoever gets it would have to contact Les Claypool since IIRC, he was the main reason for the Street Fighter II dub with the Japanese score that's on Discotek's Blu-ray release.
                          Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★
                            https://youtu.be/kWkKdJ-OVyI (via MACROSS ch but has no subtitles)
                            Last edited by WTK; 04-22-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

https://macross.jp/news/?id=1442

Bigwest Begins Global Release of Animation “Macross” Series from April 9

Bigwest Co., Ltd. has announced the release of all works that are part of the “Macross” franchise made after 1987 to a worldwide audience from April 9, 2021. This not only includes the “Macross Delta” film currently in production, but all new material that follows it as well. This is not limited to anime titles, but also includes games, toys, live performances and other content and merchandising as well. The company has prepared an official YouTube channel as well as a Twitter account for its fans.

Twitter::@MACROSS_BIGWEST
                              YouTube:MACROSS ch
                              ★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★

Bigwest has messages from members of the main creative staff behind “Macross,” Mr. Shoji Kawamori and Mr. Haruhiko Mikimoto, that the company would like to share with fans.

Shoji Kawamori:
                              For creators like me, our work only comes to life for when it is viewed by people.
                              It seems that the time has just started to move, after years and years of stillness.
                              I’d like to express my sincere gratitude to all the people involved who have helped bring Macross to the world.
                              Last but not least, I am deeply thankful for all the support and understanding from the fans around the world.
                              Together, aiming for further freedom, and a brand new deculture.
                              TO THE WORLD, TO THE GALAXY, Listen to our MACROSS song!!!!!!

Haruhiko Mikimoto:
                              Back when I was living in uncertainty, unsure whether or not I should become a professional creator or not, Studio Nue invited me to participate in their project and while I’m sure I caused some consternation for them, I was a member of the original creative team for the project that eventually was realized as Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
                              I was hesitant about making a career out of this field, but the Macross franchise was instrumental in compelling me hard to enter into this field of work that I do today, and for that it is a very special title to me.
                              On a personal level, I was frustrated not only over the fact that the global reach of the anime titles were impeded, but so too were all the production design sheets, the illustrations and the comics that were created through the involvement of many people.
                              I am very happy to hear that the situation has been sorted out enough that audiences around the world would be able to fully access all this material.
                              I humbly ask fans to please celebrate not only the anime titles that continue to evolve and change with each new series, but also support other material that is created to help promote the core titles, such as illustrations and comics, all of which are realized through the hard work on the part of myself and other creators!!

Comment

Only after 1987?
                                There goes our chances of getting OG or DYRL on BD

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X