Widgets Magazine

AnimEigo's next Kickstarter project: Megazone 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL LLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Comment

Now on to the Stretch Goals with 28.5 days to go or so. Should pick up a bunch of them.

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2598519

Six Digits in One Day!

Thank you all for making this project a reality! Now that we've reached the initial goal, we will get right to work!

Well, actually, that's not quite true. The truth is that the initial response to the project announcement was so positive that Natsumi and I have been doing preproduction work in our spare time for the last few months. We're already about 75% of the way through our first pass on the japanese SDH subtitles and the english commentary captioning. There's still a ton of work to do, but we've gotten a good head start.

To give you a little taste (and show you how rough things are before multiple rounds of dialogue editing and proofreading), here's our test subtitle of the opening few minutes of Megazone 23 Part I.

::: see post :::

Tidbit: we do these test runs at 640x360 (1/9 HD resolution) to keep the file sizes small, so don't worry if it looks a bit fuzzy. The actual transfer is almost too sharp, you can see every little imperfection - and a ton of animator's in-jokes that are hard to see on DVD. For example:

::: see post :::

Finally, just a reminder that we have some social media mini-goals that will add some improvements to the blu-ray. All you have to do is use the hashtag #megazone23 on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. We've also set up an image gallery you can use in your posts. Have fun!

Comment

So Chris' post indicates that there exists a 4K telecine of this OVA made from the negatives. Has there ever been a 4K Blu ray release anywhere?

Comment

I wonder if this quick funding is going to limit the chances of this opening up to more territories?

Still plan to pledge but I'm not a huge fan of using a US PO Box address probably as much as a year to two years in advance.

Originally posted by scottbernard View Post
            So Chris' post indicates that there exists a 4K telecine of this OVA made from the negatives. Has there ever been a 4K Blu ray release anywhere?
            No there hasn't been. Pretty sure that as of right now (before Discotek release Space Adventure Cobra) no country other than Japan has released Anime on 4K.
            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

$120,285 pledged of $100,000 goal
              887 backers
              24 days to go

https://www.backerkit.com/projects/m...-omega-edition
              http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/madoverlord/megazone-23-omega-edition

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2602508 (Aug 22)

Nearing first stretch goal!

First of all, thanks for your support of the project. As mentioned in the previous update, we're already hard at work on preproduction.

We are also only about $5k from the first stretch goal, a new commentary track. If we make it, we'll be recording the commentary in October during our yearly trip to attend TIFFCOM.

We're also about halfway to meeting the first social media goal. Just use the #megazone23 hashtag and you'll help score a sticker for everyone.

Goodies Advice

We've been getting some suggestions for post-campaign add-on goodies and are doing some research on some of them. One idea we got during the campaign preview was to do some sort of wall scroll.

We contacted the supplier who is doing the framed giclée prints and they made a 40x30cm sample scroll for us. It uses the same heavy canvas and inkjet printing process as the prints, and includes a nice magnetic clip that can either be hung using a cord or attached using two-sided tape.

We'd certainly appreciate your feedback as to how many people would be interested in something like this, and what price you think would be reasonable.

If you have ideas about possible goodies, please post them in the comments. Our basic policy is that if we can do it, and there are enough people interested to make it worthwhile, we'll give it a shot.

Best, Robert & Natsumi

Comment

mostly interested in the Com track and the new feature , theres normaly a paypal option after the kick starter tho last time i simply backed , the lack of overseas options has to be hurting this , wonder if EU includes his non EU region B folks

Comment

Originally posted by mikezilla2 View Post
                  mostly interested in the Com track and the new feature , theres normaly a paypal option after the kick starter tho last time i simply backed , the lack of overseas options has to be hurting this , wonder if EU includes his non EU region B folks
                  It has to be hurting it. I'm sitting here wanting to back and I will eventually regardless but the only reason I haven't done so yet is so I can back the project with UK shipping should that be made available. Really don't get why Robert didn't push for the overseas options before starting the campaign.
                  Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Hope they can include ALL the dubs, though I wouldn't expect the Robotech one.

Like the ADV ones, the Streamline dub for Part 1 and the Manga UK dub for Part 3 are uncut. However the Harmony Gold dub for Part 2 is edited for graphic sex scenes and some rather grisly violence, but could theoretically be synced up with an uncut version if no dialog scenes were cut initially.
                    Last edited by kyon; 08-26-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-omega-edition

$126,078 pledged of $100,000 goal
                      949 backers
                      19 days to go

Stretch Goals

$125,000 - Japanese commentary featuring MIYAO Gaku and our returning champion, SATO Hiroki. UNLOCKED on 08/27!

$150,000 - Use of Mr. Mikimoto's Eve illustration created for the Japanese Blu-ray release, with additional tweaks by Mr. Mikimoto (a notorious perfectionist). This is the illustration we used as a test for the giclee canvas prints.

Comment

Hooray! Wish the pace would pick up. I think I've seen SNAILS move faster than this kickstarter lately. If international shipping becomes available, I bet there would be a pretty big jump, but who knows?

Comment

I hope this meets the second stretch goal at least, since I'd like this release to have the same cover illustration as the JP BD.

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2607186

First Stretch Goal Reached!

Thanks to everyone who made it possible! We'll be recording the new commentary that you've unlocked in October when we visit Japan.

In other news, Mr. Mikimoto has agreed to do some extra shikishi, so we'll be adding 10 more Pearlescent Patron rewards on Saturday at 5pm. Please note however that due to an unforeseen contractual issue that surfaced after the campaign started, he can only create shikishi related to Megazone 23 for this reward. We've already contacted the current reward backers about this. We are reserving a few extra shikishi rewards for the end of the campaign in case we are able to expand our scope outside of US-only (still plugging away on that!)

Similarly, Mr. Miyao can only create shikishi related to Megazone 23 or his manga. Since some of these rewards are still available, we are reducing the price on them to $2250. Kickstarter doesn't let us reduce the cost of a reward after it's been selected, so what will happen if you back this reward is that you'll be charged $2500 and then we'll manually refund $250 a day or so later.

We are still working on expanding the campaign outside the USA. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-omega-edition

$129,268 pledged of $100,000 goal
                              1,021 backers
                              13 days to go

Comment

Robert needs to update us on the likelihood of the campaign being expanded outside the USA. Definitely seems to me that this campaign has slowed abit without that outside support. Sure I'm one of many just sitting here waiting to pledge.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X