Widgets Magazine

Series that somehow slipped through on Licensing for Physical Release that you wanted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series that somehow slipped through on Licensing for Physical Release that you wanted.

Widgets Magazine
    Every now and then, a show may get simulcasted, get picked up for general streaming, or hell, not get any sort of stream, and when it comes time for a possible physical release, it just... slips through the cracks. While these are starting to get increasingly rarer, especially with FUNimation & CR, Sentai, Discotek, etc., picking up most shows nowadays, once in awhile we'll still see a show just not even receive a physical release, due to a variety of reasons.

I decided to kinda make this thread to kinda discuss shows that somehow got overlooked in the more recent era, particularly once Simulcasts and modern streaming really took off.

I think the one, which I'm planning to revisit, that still hurts the most is RAINBOW: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin.

The series aired back in about 2010 or so, on Nippon TV, and FUNimation picked the series up for simulcasting. It was actually one of their earlier titles, that I believe was their early premium program that they had just been putting into beta. At any rate, the series aired, and while it was really well reviewed and praised, I know one common issue that I found when people ran into while watching it: It was extremely difficult to watch the first half of the show. The series deals with some really, really, difficult material (ranging from physical and mental abuse of minors, sexual abusive and child trafficking, pedophilia, torture, etc., including a shocking scene that basically leaves the entire cast modified at the end of the first half), and it represents a time in which Japan was being rebuilt, due to the aftermath of WW2.

It also features authority figures in extremely negative light, which is something I know Barefoot Gen has depicted and had push back by government and public pressure, because of this. This may explain a couple things on the Japanese sides of things (as the series is horribly out of print and streaming availability is really spotting).

While the series tells a great story, it also deals with probably one of Japan's lesser positive sides, and some of the content can arguably be very, very, difficult to stomach through, especially during the first half of the series. This may contribute to why FUNimation's streaming numbers were so low. And while I'm not condoning piracy in this post, I know downloads among fansubs were extremely low for this series as well during this period.

So I can kinda understand why FUNimation may have ultimately ended up passing on releasing it on video, as well as renewing the streaming rights. Also, given the publisher is Nippon TV, I wouldn't be shocked if the license was also relatively expensive. The only problem is trying to collect the series is relatively difficult now. The original DVD release in Japan is now highly out of print (not to mention, it was an HD produced series), with even looking into second hand market, it's mostly rental DVD releases. While the show is available for streaming on Hulu Japan and Amazon Japan (Rental streams are not region locked, for the record), the video quality is absolutely awful. Squished to 4x3, extremely low bitrate, and SD only. It looks like a horrible mess. This is on both platforms, so I suspect it's something on NTV's end.

It's a really great series, and I wish more people could check it out, but I also understand why a lot of people couldn't stomach through the material. And that's absolutely alright.

As for the rest of you guys, any series out there you wanted to buy, but somehow missed out of a physical release?

I'm still waiting for a Natsu no Arashi physical release.

Sometimes titles do show up overseas. I've got Mekakucity Actors, Mushi-shi S2 and Rock Lee DVDs from Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post

Sometimes titles do show up overseas. I've got Mekakucity Actors, Mushi-shi S2 and Rock Lee DVDs from Australia.
      Oh, right, that. Man, Aniplex...

Comment

Still hoping for Nodame Cantabile before I pass from this life.

Comment

Tatami Galaxy, Mushi-shi Season 2, and Cross Game are the three big ones for me.
          DVD/BD collection
          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Fighting Spirit's later seasons would have been nice to have.

It's really frustrating that we are missing just 18 episodes of the entire Initial D saga. I really think Discotek should get the last season and OVA. Though if Funimation got it and dubbed them that of course would be even better.

Both seasons of Kaiji have been streaming for along time now and yet the new comedic spin off is the series that gets picked up and even dubbed. FML.

Also would love to own the complete saga of Nodame Cantabile, I have the 6 Korean DVDs with the dub. Was hoping when Sony bought Funimation that Nodame Cantabile and a Blood+ rerelease would follow but as of yet nothing.

Mushi-Shi Season 2 really hurts, as does anything that Aniplex license and then never release because you know full well that all of those titles would have got released in some form by the other main companies. Not just that but Silver Spoon and ServentXService probably would have got BDs and a Dub also : (

Natsume Seasons 5&6 are currently without a home. I guess Aniplex might get them at somepoint.

Finally I'll mention the truly wonderful Eccentric Family, I ADORE both seasons of this show and I'm gutted that Season 2 is unlicensed. would love to see Funimation rescue both seasons and give them a dub too. One of the best shows of the last decade and in my opinion ever.

Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Tatami Galaxy is probably the highest on my wish list that isn't completing a series (looking at you Eccentric Family, Mushi-shi, and Natsume Book of Friends).

I also think I'm the only person that ever wanted to own Day Break Illusion, so I won't hold out hope for that one from Aniplex...

Comment

01. Most of Gintama
                02. All Mushishi after the first season
                03. Koe no Katachi / A Silent Voice (hopefully this will happen soon)
                04. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
                05. Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger
                06. Nodame Cantabile
                07. Cross Game

And I'll stop there before I cry too much.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by IamBoogiepop View Post
                  I also think I'm the only person that ever wanted to own Day Break Illusion, so I won't hold out hope for that one from Aniplex...
                  Well, not the only one, me too. Actually suppose I was originally a little pessimistic on the prospect of buying since I thought it would end up being an overpriced barebones DVD-only release, though it ultimately ended up instead being the first thing of AoA's they just didn't bother to release at all...

Some titles I would like to see come to home video:
                  Encouragement of Climb
                  Hanamaru Kindergarten
                  Kanamemo
                  Mitsudomoe
                  Please tell me! Galko-chan
                  She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-
                  Shugo Chara
                  YuruYuri San Hai!

It seems like between Netflix, Amazon, and Crunchyroll (of their titles that doesn't get picked for simuldubs), there's back to being more question marks lately and maybe a lot more to consider adding to the list. On the brighter side, at least some long-wanted streaming-only titles like Skip Beat and Yumeiro Patissiere have ended up happening.

Comment

I actually wrote a two-part article about this very concept earlier this year, and this is what I covered:
                    -My Personal Picks-
                    Saint Seiya Hades OVAs
                    Fafner Exodus
                    Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro
                    Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu & Keiji
                    Akagi
                    Urashiman

-Picks Others Recommended to Me-
                    Polar Bear Cafe
                    Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (though this is at least now available for purchase digitally)
                    Beast Player Erin
                    The Tatami Galaxy
                    gdgd Fairies
                    Witch Craft Works

And, for a live-action example, I'll also add in Team Astro, the 2005 J-Drama/toku adaptation of an utterly insane 70s Jump manga. It was initially streamed over at DramaFever until 2015, and Hulu also offered it (more or less untranslated, though) until about a year ago or so. Considering that barely anyone even knew of this show in general, it's sadly going to be gone forever here in North America, and that's depressing, because Team Astro has to be seen to believed.
                    Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                    Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BØY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BØY

Comment

Originally posted by BlaizeV View Post
                      It's really frustrating that we are missing just 18 episodes of the entire Initial D saga. I really think Discotek should get the last season and OVA. Though if Funimation got it and dubbed them that of course would be even better.
                      I would rather have Sentai pick them up considering they were willing to dub the Legend movies and even get most of FUNi's redub cast back for them plus their recent rescue of Negima makes it more possible given both are from the same licensor (Kodansha) and also, I would like everything on Blu-ray, especially Third & Fourth Stage since those particular DVDs are letterbox and the Japanese BDs aren't, so if they're waiting for FUNi's license to expire to get everything then no problem.
                      Last edited by NJ_; 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM.
                      Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post
                        As soon as I read the topic title, Natsu no Arashi came to mind, and was surprise it is the first reply. Slowly, more titles trickled through my brain, then I read some of the other replies. A number of my wished for shows are getting releases, I just wish faster (Hidamari Sketch - Honeycomb), so overall I shan't complain too much.
                        Nodame Cantabile and Shugo Chara are among my top wished for discs. And someday, I'd like to finish Hikaru no Go on my TV instead of my computer. (And where are the Hidamari Sketch Graduation Specials?)

Comment

a few, including guilty pleasures a majority would rather not see released on any format...

Encouragement of Climb
                          Miss Monochrome
                          Kemono Friends
                          Teekyuu / Takamiya Nasuno Desu
                          Macross franchise, including a rerelease of SDF
                          Tenchi Muyo OVA4
                          Carnival Phantasm
                          Sekko Boys
                          Konosuba
                          Hacka Doll
                          Fune wo Amu
                          Mayoiga
                          Walkure Romanze
                          M3 The Dark Metal
                          Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
                          Comical Psychosomatic Medicine

I think most of these will eventually be physically available stateside in the future, though Carnival Phantasm probably has a slimmer chance than Macross for some unknown reason...

Comment

Lots of titles I see here that I simply agree with. The ones I really would like to second mainly being Kaiji, Initial D, Beast Player Erin, Mitsudomoe, and Miss Monochrome. Luckily enough I've had a few out of my top five fulfilled last year, including Gosick and Chihayafuru, so I'm already very happy as far as licenses are concerned at the moment. However, Beast Player Erin still remains in that top 5, and I know for certain I put in a request for Sentai to give it a shot years ago. Perhaps it just didn't tip the needle enough, and someone else like RightStuf or Discotek might be the ones to save the day in the end.

One in particular that I'm a little surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is Minami-ke. There was the glint of hope when Funimation licensed the fourth season for streaming, but perhaps tackling the entire property as a whole wasn't worth it for them to pursue.

I can also say essentially the identical thing for Seitokai Yakuindomo. Definitely one of my favorites, where the second season was licensed for streaming by Crunchyroll, that never got the chance at a physical release here.

I'll also throw out a "random, what the hell" mention with Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan, because, why not?
                            Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                            Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Tatami Galaxy has got a Region B release. I had to "go" to France for a Region B Blu-ray of the Yoshiaki Kawajiri Highlander movie. Chalk me up as another one desperate for an Eccentric Family Season 2. I'd also love Blu-rays of Gosick and Nichijou in Region B land. I only have the Australian DVDs of those.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X