Widgets Magazine

Maiden Japen licenses Armored Trooper Votoms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon just cancelled my pre-order of the OVA collection. Anyone know what's going on with that?

Comment

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/statu...19382884016128

A few new screencaps revealing the framerate problem.

Originally posted by Akcoll99 View Post
      Amazon just cancelled my pre-order of the OVA collection. Anyone know what's going on with that?
      If it's not Amazon being Amazon, hopefully it means there's a delay so they can redo that release's transfer fixing the problem.
      Last edited by NJ_; 03-13-2019, 02:46 AM.
      Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
        https://twitter.com/TomAznable/statu...19382884016128

A few new screencaps revealing the framerate problem.

If it's not Amazon being Amazon, hopefully it means there's a delay so they can redo that release's transfer fixing the problem.
        Yeah, I haven't had the chance to watch my set of the TV series yet but that makes me nervous. I'll reserve judgement until I see the video in motion.

Also, Amazon just put the OVA's back up for pre-order for the same release date, so we'll see if it sticks this time. Maybe Maiden Japan cancelled it briefly while they reviewed the masters they had received...

Comment

I received my copy and began watching last night (first 2 episodes). This is not a spectacular looking transfer but frankly I didn't encounter the problems being bemoaned about over on the blu-ray.com forums. If I stand right in front of my tv I can sort of see the interlacing issues, barely, but I sit 15 feet across the room when viewing so that's not a problem. Secondly the "ghosting" in those screencaps I never saw to any substantial degree. In fact I backed up and re-ran the scene from the first epsiode where the Green ATs are diving down the shaft and I didn't encounter anything as bad as in that screenshot. I have a blu-ray.com forum username but I'm not going to bother posting this over there because they'll tell me I'm wrong because they watched it 10 inches away from their pc screen and it says the bitrate sucks so I must be wrong, lol.

For anyone who cares I watched on a Panasonic Plasma tv using the Xbone as my player. I will switch over to my PS3 tonight since it is a better blu-ray player and report back if any improvements/issues occur.

Now all that said I will reiterate that this is not an amazing transfer. By contrast right now my wife and I are watching rightstuf's Space Adventure Cobra release which even on DVD looks substantially better than Sentai's standard-definition Blu-ray work and has much cleaner image quality and much more vibrant colors. However having sold my Votoms tin case years ago for ~$500 it really doesn't bother me that the transfer on the could be better since I paid all of about $34 for this set.

Comment

Oh I did forget to mention that in horizontal panning shots it does look totally awful, a framey interlaced mess.

On a side note when does this show become worth watching? I tried watching it years ago and found it to be awful, it isn't any better now. The supporting cast is just miserable, trope and cliche ridden and grating to listen to especially Shigeru Chiba who is great in patlabor as shige-san but is beyond grating to listen to in this. And Coccona or whatever her name is....ughhhhh. And then there is Chirico who has all the personality of a doorstop, won't even answer simple, direct questions when spoken to by the people who keep saving his rear over and over again. I mean literally the douchebag won't even speak to other human beings and yet he expects them to jump in line when he finally decides they are useful and he wants their help. I'd rather spend time with a wet paper bag than this guy.

Oh and wonder-child-military-project or not Mellowlink would have him dead by the end of a 22 minute episode, lol. Literally Chirico has to be one of anime's worst "heroes" ever. Seriously when does this show actually become worth watching? Because after 8 episodes I don't think I can take anymore. I'd rather watch the original Scooby-Doo than these imbecils...

Comment

I finally broke down and opened my copy just to take a look. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but there is a noticeable blur to anything that moves because of the interlacing problem. Like someone already said, it is most noticeable in the English ending credit roll. Makes me feel like I need new glasses...

Luckily this show's limited animation means that a lot of time you're looking at a character's face where only their mouth is moving, and in those scenes there's really not much to complain about. It is mainly just frustrating to me that this US BD doesn't have at least the same quality of the Japanese DVD.

Comment

I'm hopeful that this will be the last time that we get an issue like this going forward for Sentai/Maiden Japan and their SD-BDs. I got my copy into today and it also wasn't quite as bad as I thought it may have been, though I only watched the first 5 mins or so. I worry having this pointed out to me beforehand will make it more annoying to me now, if I was oblivious I probably would have just thought it was inherent to the master or something rather than the authoring process. At least the VQ is a step up from the old CPM DVDs which is nice.

It's a shame that Sentai and Maiden Japan don't take the same care in the authoring process compared to a company like Discotek. Especially if they are going to take these Discotek license candidates and then in turn put out sub par products.

It actually bothers me greatly that this release has got so much 'publicity' if you will due to its issues when in turn Xabungle got pretty much ignored because in that case not only are some of the same issues present but Maiden Japan didn't even provide us with the best currently available master which I find even more disappointing.
                Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by BlaizeV View Post
                  It's a shame that Sentai and Maiden Japan don't take the same care in the authoring process compared to a company like Discotek. Especially if they are going to take these Discotek license candidates and then in turn put out sub par products.
                  And in Discotek's case, it took 3 botched releases (with no fixed re-releases btw) before Justin figured out what was wrong and upgraded his equipment for the better.
                  Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Those discotek releases you mentioned didn't playback correctly on certain players (like PS3)? Meaning, what...? They didn't upscale?

Sorry, I just forgot what the issue was.

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
                      Those discotek releases you mentioned didn't playback correctly on certain players (like PS3)? Meaning, what...? They didn't upscale?

Sorry, I just forgot what the issue was.
                      Video stuttering, it was a problem that only affected PS3s & PS4s while they were fine on other Blu-ray players.

Comment

via Sentai Filmworks Shop & TRSI:

Armored Trooper Votoms: OVA Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - 290 minutes - $59.98 - 7/23/19
                        - https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/col...tion-2-blu-ray
                        Japanese with English subtitles

Contains 9 OVA episodes including the Genei ~ Phantom Arc, Woodo, Kummen, Sansa, Nulgerant, Cocoon, Infanti, Case; IRVINE VOTOMS FINDER, and Chirico's Return
                        Disc 1 (150 min) eps. 1-6; Disc 2 (140 min) eps. 7-9

Title: ARMORED TROOPER VOTOMS OVA 2
                        Published by: Maiden Japan
                        Distributed by: Section23 Films
                        Run Time: 290 min.
                        Street Date: 7/23/2019
                        Format: BD
                        Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
                        SRP: $59.98

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine