Widgets Magazine

Maiden Japen licenses Armored Trooper Votoms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold on. Packaging old OVAs like The Last Red Shoulder, Big Battle, Roots of Ambition, and Shining Heresy together with new OVAs like Pailsen Files is fine. But in the same SD BD-only set? Starting with Pailsen Files all of the Votoms OVAs are in HD and have HD BD releases in Japan. Why are only getting SD version?!

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
      Hold on. Packaging old OVAs like The Last Red Shoulder, Big Battle, Roots of Ambition, and Shining Heresy together with new OVAs like Pailsen Files is fine. But in the same SD BD-only set? Starting with Pailsen Files all of the Votoms OVAs are in HD and have HD BD releases in Japan. Why are only getting SD version?!
      Thanks for bringing this up. I was wondering about this myself. Could you link me to someplace that shows which OVAs are in HD? I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Pretty sure just the Movie cut of Pailsen Files is available on Blu Ray in Japan and the actual OVA series was DVD only.
        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Thank you for responding and for the info!

Comment

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...765#post718765
            - Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files | OVA - 12 eps
            http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/interna...il.php?cid=279
            DVD only in Japan (ペールゼン・ファイルズ)

- Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files | movie (compilation)
            released on BD in Japan (ペールゼン・ファイルズ)
            ^ I didn't note 劇場版 with that post for some reason.

Comment

It's been reported that the SD-BD of the Votoms TV Collection suffers from a problem encode.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3225
              https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3227
              https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3237
              DVD/BD collection
              Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
                Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing what the problem is here. The mouse-over comparisons look noticeably better:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130869

Colors look different but image is much cleaner. What am I missing? Also I don't understand what they mean by problems with the framing. In fact in the mouseover shots it seems like you can see more of the animation than in the original.

Comment

Okay... but that screeshotcomparison is between the former US DVD and the new SD BD, right? That's not very useful. Couldn't somebody compare between the R2J DVD and the new SD BD, which is what we actually need to see to know if we really got a good video encode?

I see now... the problem people are mentioning won't show easily in just screenshots. You need to see it in motion. They messed up the de-interlacing so frames got blended with bad ghosting... rather disappointing. I'll have to take a look when I get my set to decide whether it's watchable or not. I also have the R2J DVDs around somewhere, so I could just watch those instead...

It really is a shame after the Ideon set looked so good.
                  Last edited by russ869; 03-04-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

It really is a shame after the Ideon set looked so good.
                    Be grateful they went back and got the HD masters for that one because had they released it in SD like originally planned, it would have had the EXACT same problem because they clearly don't know how to handle SD content on Blu-ray properly (as also seen by Xabungle & now Human Crossing reported to having the same issue).

It took Justin Sevakis a while to fix the video stuttering issue that was affecting Discotek's early SD BDs on PS3 & PS4 and when he did, they got to releasing more of them afterwards with better results (and I can confirm having Marmalade Boy & Great Mazinger that both look fine on my PS3 unlike Samurai Pizza Cats, Wizard of Oz & Fist of the North Star). With Maiden/Sentai, they're releasing a lot more SD BDs, even for shows they previously released on DVD, and with these issues coming out for not one but THREE shows now, there's reason to be concerned for the also announced Hataraki Man, Saiyuki, Kino's Journey and Princess Resurrection.
                    Last edited by NJ_; 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM.
                    Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Yeah, those de-interlacing or FPS conversion ghost issues have always bothered me on other releases in the past. Aliasing is visible as a result as well. And this problem is appearing on other SDBD releases from Sentai? Ugh.

Comment

Okay I understand now thanks. I did see the ghosting in at least one of those framing screenshots that was posted, however I thought that was something in the animation specifically, I did not realize it was a video defect.

Do the hidive versions suffer from this also? Or is this just a special treat for those of us buying a physical release?

Comment

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3280

Sentai have acknowledged the encode problem in regards to future SD-BDs but they didn't say anything about the already released ones.

Well DANG. I got a response from Sentai about their SD on BD releases.

Doesn't sound like they will ever fix the VOTOMS, Xabungle, Human Crossing, and previous releases but I did get a promising response with regards to future releases:

"Thanks for reaching out. We are now aware of the issue and are reviewing the process for SD on BD future releases. We appreciate your support. Have a great day!"

My only problem is that anything that has been solicited, like the VOTOMS OVAs, likely are using the old setting and are already completed. Makes me sad it is unlikely we'll ever see a great VOTOMS release in North America. But at least we should see correctly encoded discs in the future.
                          DVD/BD collection
                          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Guess I'll be waiting a few years for the complete collection then since that's where they usually fix things with new discs.

Feel bad for everything else affected though.
                            Last edited by NJ_; 03-05-2019, 02:26 PM.
                            Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Do the Hidive versions suffer from these problems?

Comment

So much for that, and while it was going to be a tough to bring the quality up for this show, the de-interlacing problems are just sloppy. Hopefully this can get fixed eventually.
                                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
                                Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
                                Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X