Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FUNimation acquire additional One Piece episodes

Originally posted by Soufriere View Post
    (please, Funi, avoid combo packs; they annoy your customers that only have DVD).
    Not really; I only got a BD player about a month ago, but I always liked (and bought) the combo packs, even when I had no BD player and had no immediate plans to get one. You'll also see a lot of people online saying that they like getting the BD with the DVD, even though they don't have a BD player, for a number of reasons. And considering that Funi's still doing them, it seems that the sales indicate a buyer preference (or buyer indifference, at least) for the combo sets.

That, or it's an indication of how problematic separate BD releases are from a economic/sales standpoint (that they're more profitable or easier to sell packaged with the DVDs than sold separately), in which case Funi's definitely not going to change back to a less efficient and less profitable business model even if a few people complain.
    Last edited by Glorian; 10-29-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
      (please, Funi, avoid combo packs; they annoy your customers that only have DVD).
      Not really; I only got a BD player about a month ago, but I always liked (and bought) the combo packs, even when I had no BD player and had no immediate plans to get one. You'll also see a lot of people online saying that they like getting the BD with the DVD, even though they don't have a BD player, for a number of reasons. And considering that Funi's still doing them, it seems that the sales indicate a buyer preference (or buyer indifference, at least) for the combo sets.

That, or it's an indication of how problematic separate BD releases are from a economic/sales standpoint (that they're more profitable or easier to sell packaged with the DVDs than sold separately), in which case Funi's definitely not going to change back to a less efficient and less profitable business model even if a few people complain.
      Well, I can see some value in the combo sets (having the BD for a home-theatre setup and the DVD to take on the road or give away). And I certainly don't begrudge Funi doing what it can to stay in the black. And it definitely makes it easier to upgrade if you've bought the upgrade already. In fact, I bet it's more annoying to Blu-Ray owners, since they have to buy a lower-quality DVD they probably don't want. Still, if there's a BD/DVD combo of One Piece Season 4 released alongside a standard DVD set, I'll buy the combo without hesitation. I plan on getting a BD player in the near future, but I'm also very picky about what BD's I intend to buy (only movies/shows from a film source or are native-HD).

Speaking of which, I really hope that Funi is somehow able to score some more One Piece movies. Reps have made it clear for years they want to, but I guess Toei's asking price is too high right now. While I'm at it, I'd like a pony.
      "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams
      Avatar: Rarity beckons you to join the Pony Legion.

Comment

if there's a BD/DVD combo of One Piece Season 4 released alongside a standard DVD set, I'll buy the combo without hesitation.
        Me too. I find DVDs more convenient since I have lots of players for them and I can take them on trips, but if there are blu-rays coming I like having the option in a combo pack. At the moment I have a weird system where series I really want get bought on blu-ray and series I'm less bothered about I get as DVD; combo packs take the hassle out of it all during this transition phase. I don't really see it as paying more for something I won't use, since if the single format version was released at the same price point I'd buy it anyway.

Comment

Woo-hoo! Great news... especially since (as noted in another thread), I just watched through ep 205, and was craving more.

Re DVD vs BluRay; for this show, DVD is fine by me. I won't turn down BluRay, mind you, but I won't wait for it, either. (And re combo packs; I don't particularly like them, since (as Soufriere suggested), I end up with some extra discs that I don't need. I suppose I could give the DVDs to a local anime club...)

--John N.

Comment

via TRSI...

Comment

Well, that's good. I'll pass on it since I decided to only watch the new episodes on their website.

Comment

Awesome, I was just wondering about this. However, I am saddened because they won't have the Franky episodes out in time for NDK, which means I won't be able to have Patrick Seitz autograph my volume. :-( However, I will hopefully be working around that time... oh wait, my first paycheck wouldn't be until Sept 30th anyway... I guess I'll get this set in Oct.

Comment

The reason why S4 isn't on Blu-ray (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-05-18)

- One Piece S4 on BD - rights issue, not in Japan

Comment

Someone in the PR department should really proof-check their releases before sending them out...but no biggee here. I'll buy and support the series! It's so much fun and good!
                    Watching: Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Ozuma, Sekirei

Thank you Sentai for Fate/Stay Night : UBW
                    Proud to Pre-Order Fate/Zero Box 2 on BD!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                      The reason why S4 isn't on Blu-ray (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-05-18)

Where did you read that?

And that is stupid. If they are that concerned about a BD release being in the US that is not in Japan, then there is an easy solution, RELEASE IT ON BD IN JAPAN!!! BAM!! Problem solved. Was that sol hard?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyMessiah View Post
                        And that is stupid. If they are that concerned about a BD release being in the US that is not in Japan, then there is an easy solution, RELEASE IT ON BD IN JAPAN!!! BAM!! Problem solved. Was that sol hard?
                        Shows like One Piece get high TV viewership in Japan and the movies do well on video, but the actual TV series don't really move units and discs are produced primarily for rental, not purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by sloanereinja View Post
                          Shows like One Piece get high TV viewership in Japan and the movies do well on video, but the actual TV series don't really move units and discs are produced primarily for rental, not purchase.
                          So what you are saying is that it is a double standard. They don't want to release it on BD in Japan because series do better as rentals than sales, but they don't want another country to release it because they think someone is going to reverse import it. So instead of being able to capitalize on sales with a BD owners, they would rather alienate those who no longer buy DVDs because buying a DVD is a waste of money now, which means lower sales. That is a paradox of oxymoron. They are going to make money no matter what.
                          Last edited by DeadlyMessiah; 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post

Where did you read that?
                            It's from the ANNCast URL link that you quoted

Comment

Originally posted by sloanereinja View Post
                              So what you are saying is that it is a double standard. They don't want to release it on BD in Japan because series do better as rentals than sales, but they don't want another country to release it because they think someone is going to reverse import it. So instead of being able to capitalize on sales with a BD owners, they would rather alienate those who no longer buy DVDs because buying a DVD is a waste of money now, which means lower sales. That is a paradox of oxymoron. They are going to make money no matter what.
                              They are doing what it works over there. It's pretty much the norm for long running series. And if DVD don't really move units, you think Blu-ray will significantly improve that?

Comment

Just because they aren't releasing on BD over there now, doesn't mean they never will, so they don't want to alienate their loyal buyers by allowing a cheap foreign edition to appear first. It makes sense to me, and I have ordered the DVD version for now accordingly.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X