Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Horror of the Underworld (3D CG anime) Kickstarter

Widgets Magazine
    I didn't even notice when this one launched until ANN posted about this...and it's not going anywhere.

$1,057 pledged of $150,904 goal
    12 backers
    21 days to go

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-underworld

Hello. I am Akira Suzuki.I work as a freelance 3DCG artist in Japan.

To date, I have participated in the production of numerous animated movies including "Blue Submarine No. 6 "directed by Mahiro Maeda, "GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE" directed by Mamoru Oshii, "ATTACK ON TITAN" directed by Shinji Higuchi, "Shin Godzilla (2016)" co-directed by Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, and more.

I created the movie I uploaded here during my spare time from work. I started this project to learn 3D application skills, but with the launch of Kickstarter in Japan, I decided to complete the movie as a full-scale production.

Roughly 10 minutes of video are already complete. I intend to create 25 minutes of CG animation by myself. That is my goal. I am also hoping to make the movie more than an hour long through stretch goals!!

Please lend me your assistance in this personal challenge!!

Akira Suzuki is handling all aspects of creating "HORROR OF THE UNDERWORLD" including direction, animation and video production. The episode is scheduled to be 25 minutes long. It will be voiced in Japanese with English subtitles. Production is scheduled to take 16 months.

Roughly 10 minutes of video are already complete. Through this Kickstarter project, I hope to raise a total of 17,000,000yen for the creation of the remaining 15 minutes of video and finishing work, the addition of an audio track and subtitles, the cost of creating DVDs and a budget for providing rewards. In addition, I would also like to lengthen the episode to more than an hour long in order to further deepen the story. I kindly ask you for your support.

STRETCH GOALS!

At 20,000,000yen (approx. 175,366 USD), I will switch from DVD to Blu-ray.

At 50,000,000yen (approx. 438,415 USD), I will lengthen the episode by 15 minutes! (I will increase the video production staff. The production period will be extended.)

If pledges exceed 100,000,000yen (approx. 876,831 USD), I will lengthen the movie to more than an hour long!! (I will increase the video production staff. The production period will be extended.)

Don't like horror so this one isn't for me.

Comment

Horror just isn't my thing, so I'm definitely going to pass on this. Akira Suzuki sure is quite ambitious there doing it all, but unfortunately it's in the one genre that ain't my cup of tea. Seeing that after two days with only $1300 raised, I'm having a hard time believing that it's going to reach its goal, so I'm not expecting it to be funded for the extra 15 minutes of footage that Suzuki is aiming to do.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
      Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
      Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Looks Like a Fun Project But cant See it getting funded with that Low level of advertising

Comment

This ended a couple days ago...and this maybe the worst performing anime Kickstarter (of all time?).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-underworld

227,700yen pledged of 17,000,000yen goal
          32 backers

Comment

Well--no advertising certainly didn't help. On my end, I HATE horror for the most part, so I wouldn't back a genre I hate. And that goal was WAY too high! No one was going to back something with a goal that high!

Comment

pretty Much What Art Chan Said

any idea what He plans to do with regards to Picking up the pieces ?

Comment

That Kickstarter campaign was just a comedy of errors there. They all can't be successful, but my goodness did Akira Suzuki drop the ball big time. First of all, the lack of advertising is just asking for it to fail. Then there's the genre as horror is one of the least popular genres in anime. I didn't think it would stand a chance, but to get only 32 backers and not even crack 2% of the goal, that was quite a big fail. So no advertisement, being a horror show, and being done by just one person, not quite a good combination. Next time, he might want to try and make sure people around Japan and the anime community are actually aware of this project.
                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
                Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Horror happens to be one of my favorite genres, but frankly, this project didn't appeal to me either.
                  "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
                    And that goal was WAY too high! No one was going to back something with a goal that high!
                    I back everything I like. Even (especially?) if it has no chance of reaching its goal. The most legendary example I can think of was a PC game that failed to make even 8% of its goal, then they immediately relaunched the campaign with the goal set 60% lower, and the 2nd time made almost $0. I backed both times.

I don't know if I would say horror is one of the least popular genres of anime. Maybe least frequently well executed... This look more like a kind of gore/monster type horror, so maybe if he had marketed it to fans of those Resident Evil CG films or something...

I have no doubt he could have completed the animation (especially considering the amount that was already finished) but handling the logistics of mailing physical rewards to all the backers (always the hardest part of any kickstarter)... It usually takes somebody like a producer to figure that out.
                    Last edited by russ869; 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

So this is Dead in the Water with nothing else to surface ?

Comment

Dec 24:

Published on xumo! Horror of the Underworld_Ver.Web trailer
                        https://youtu.be/ymK9mmALoTw
                        https://www.xumo.tv/channel/9999300/...EIR8DRL&p=9215

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X