X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Viz Media licenses Mr. Osomatsu Seasons 1 & 2

Widgets Magazine
    https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/896132241885061120
    VIZ Media has acquired Mr. Osomatsu Season 1 and 2! Season 2 simulcast streaming begins October 2017! SHEEEH!!! #Otakon2017

And in the event it needed to be said, Viz *IS* dubbing the show and *DOES NOT* have the first episode.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/896165466091143171
    Mr. Osomatsu will be getting a dub! Stay tuned for more news.
    https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/sta...32920426979328
    No episode 1 on that Osomatsu set. That ep wasn't on the JP home video either- it's legally radioactive

Comment

What is the deal with episode 1?
      "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

Originally posted by Diakia89 View Post
        What is the deal with episode 1?
        They referenced *A LOT* of anime without permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post

To add to this, parody laws are different in Japan than it is here. (Yes, you really DO need to get permission to make fun of shows except in certain situations like the parody is from the same company).

It's too bad because episode 1 was pretty funny.

I also never would have thought Viz of all companies, would get this.

At least Viz is being up front about episode 1, even though I had been hoping some miracle would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
            I also never would have thought Viz of all companies, would get this.
            Indeed, it is quite a Ssurprise to see Viz Media license this comedic series, since for the most part they usually go after the BIGGEST shows that will add revenue to their anime department and are the most talked (e.g. Naruto/Boruto, One-Punch Man, Sailor Moon). Although to be fair they did license some comedic series: Blood Lad, and One-Punch Man although tbh both shows lean toward the action side of things unlike Mr. Osomatsu.

TBH, I was expecting FUNimation/Crunchyroll to license the show since it previously aired on Crunchyroll in 2015 a year before the FUNi/Crunchy deal and the show fits well with Funimation current licensed Comedic shows they air on their simulcasts.

It's very reminiscent to when Sentai Filmworks licensed the Parasyte anime, most of us including myself was expecting Funimationor Viz to license it was one of the most popular shows of the Fall 2014 season, until Sentai made the announcement that they acquired the licensing of the show

Comment

Yeah, episode 1 being out of the equation is expected unfortunately. That also goes for the Anpanman parody that showed up in episode 3.
              I was pretty much expecting this one to be part of the FUNiRoll deal, but perhaps it's for the better that they didn't spread themselves out too far and take on this on top of all those other titles.
              When there was that rumor by Mittelman about the show being dubbed, I figured "Okay, so is it Bang Zoom?" but had assumed it to be handled by Crunchy. They dropped Osomatsu as one of their brands a few months ago though, so then it seemed less likely.

Glad to have quick confirmation on both seasons being licensed, and maybe we'll get some word on if the JRA special and short films are included in the rights! I find this pretty great though, and hope the quality of the dub and the subs will be well-done; Crunchyroll had some errors in their translation at times when they weren't simply trying to localize, and there was some critique on that.
              Last edited by LichaRose; 08-12-2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one surprised that Viz got this instead of Crunchyroll. More importantly, someone did, and I hope they treat it well. It couldn't have been cheap, and I hope it ends up being a good choice for them. I guess it shouldn't be quite as hard to dub as some similar series, so as long as they cast some of the biggest and best names in the industry to match their Japanese counterparts, it should be good. Obviously they can't get the material taken out of all legal avenues, as sad as it is. Just as long as Crunchyroll still gets to simulcast the second season, even if Hulu does too. I would think we shouldn't have to worry about that at this point, but it's still on my mind a little.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VIZ MEDIA ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF THE
                  MR. OSOMATSU ANIME SERIES

Uproarious Comedy About The Misadventures Of Six Unique Brothers Is Produced By The Famed Anime Production Company Studio Pierrot And Inspired By A Bestselling Manga Series

San Francisco, CA, August 14, 2017 - VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), a premier company in the fields of publishing, animation distribution, and global entertainment licensing, brings the hilarious story of six quirky siblings to North and Latin American audiences as it expands its anime catalog with the acquisition of MR. OSOMATSU. VIZ Media announced the news during its official panel held this past weekend during Otakon 2017.

Inspired by the classic manga series Osomatsu-Kun created by Fujio Akatsuka, MR. OSOMATSU is animated by Studio Pierrot, which also produced the massively successful BLEACH and NARUTO anime series (also distributed in English by VIZ Media). VIZ Media has acquired the digital streaming, EST, home video and merchandise rights for MR. OSOMATSU. Season One of the series was originally broadcast in Japan in 2015-2016, and Season Two is slated to start this Fall.

Forget double the fun because here's a series that amps up the insanity six silly ways! The Matsuno sextuplets are quite a bunch. One's always hanging out at the local Pachinko joint, one un-ironically wears sequined pants, one is a total otaku with a fancy for idols while another brother would rather just loaf around with some cats and his own ennui. The fifth brother loves baseball but was probably dropped on his head a couple times and then there?s the youngest, who really leans into that sweet baby brother angle, if you know what we mean. None of them have jobs, but they do have one heck of a tab run up at the local Oden stand! With so many brothers with too much time on their hands, there?s sure to be some crazy (and raunchy) adventures!

"MR. OSOMATSU depicts the hilarious exploits of the sextuplet Matsuno brothers, and each sibling's unique personality and their fumbling antics will endear them to audiences," explains VIZ Media Vice President of Animation Brian Ige. "Whether they are attempting to find employment or land girlfriends, the quirky lives of these brothers are never dull! We look forward to announcing more details on MR. OSOMATSU in coming months and to North American audiences discovering this fun series."
                  Last edited by WTK; 08-15-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post

Parodies are can be tricky in Japan under their over complicated intellectual property laws but they are still generally laughed off and allowed in most cases even without prior permissions. The only time people go after parodies is when they get upset because they find them to be "disrespectful" and that's what happened with Osomatsu. It was was mentioned specifically that Love Live was the series that got them in trouble (albeit not directly naming the show but implied Sunrise was the one who had brought up the issue) and the only reason Sunrise got on them about it was because those awful cult followers of Love Live complained on the internet about Osomatsu making fun of their favorite anime which is so like them (so incredibly obnoxious).
                    Last edited by Dimension_Tripper; 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM.
                    ~My Anime Collection~

Comment

Ah, where did you hear about the Love Live statement? From what I remember, the production committee didn't name the claimants that had issues but said "multiple circumstances" played into them withdrawing the episode. It's clear it had to be legal matters though, and it wouldn't surprise me if Love Live was indeed one of the things that raised fuss. I've heard speculation and mumbling that Broccoli may have also took offense for the Uta no Prince-sama parody, what with how strict Broccoli is about how that property is used.

The Anpanman case was pretty much spelled out, and I guess rather than go with the edited version, it was easier to just remove the skits entirely to do away with any misdeed.

Comment

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...l-anime-season

Mr. Osomatsu 2nd Season

Launches: 10/2 10:35AM PDT (Monday)

Territories: Worldwide except Asia

Comment

Mr. Osomatsu 2nd Season - OFFICIAL TRAILER | Crunchyroll

Comment

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/913879811881238528 | official clip
                            The best boys are back in town. Mr. Osomatsu season 2 is coming soon to http://VIZ.com ! #MrOsomatsu

Comment

Mr. Osomatsu - Official Trailer via VIZ Media

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X