Widgets Magazine

What Anime Streaming Services Do You Currently Subscribe To? (as of July 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] What Anime Streaming Services Do You Currently Subscribe To? (as of July 2017)

Widgets Magazine
    I asked this question for the past two years as the landscape for streaming has been frequently changing ever since Amazon and Netflix got involved. So seeing that I have asked this poll in July every year that now is the time to ask this question once again. There have been several major events that gave the landscape an extreme makeover from what it was at this time last year. To summarize the changes from this time a year ago:
    • Crunchyroll and Funimation teamed up putting all of Funimation's shows (at least that's the plan as it's a work in progress) on Crunchyroll. The difference is that Crunchyroll has all the subs and Funimation (with a few exceptions) has all the dubs. As a result, the Sub Pass option was dropped and there's only one subscription option for Funimation.
    • Also resulting from their partnership is the creation of VRV, an all-in-one service that includes access to Crunchyroll, Funimation, and other non-anime streaming services.
    • Amazon created Anime Strike, which is an add-on channel with all the anime content added since the Fall 2016 season. This is a service that requires a Prime subscription in order to purchase it. Amazon has since increased its exclusive catalog as they now have all the Animeism shows, plus a couple of other high-profile shows every season, as well as most of Sentai's catalog during the broadcast season. Previously, only the Noitamina shows were exclusive to them and only a Prime subscription was required to watch.
    • Sentai launched HIDIVE, a service that hosts all of their shows that includes all of their shows in both languages and some exclusive simulcasts. This service was created to replace The Anime Network Online that was poorly maintained and in need of a major overhaul that was accomplished through HIDIVE.
    • Most of Hulu's anime content was purged in June 2016, but still carries all of Viz's shows and has exclusive streaming rights to some of Aniplex of America's dubs. Hulu is now subscription-only, and their catalog of free shows has moved to Yahoo View.
    So I ask the question as to what all of you are currently subscribing to right now. Seeing that these are only options in the US that I have the other option as well as come services that stream anime don't exist in the US, while there are other subscription services that I'm not aware of that carries anime. And of course, there's the neither option as well.

Poll Question: Which of these anime streaming services do you currently subscribe to?
    Crunchyroll Premium
    20.00%
    Crunchyroll Premium+
    1.33%
    Funimation Now
    10.67%
    VRV
    1.33%
    Anime Strike
    10.67%
    Amazon Prime (without Anime Strike)
    14.67%
    Netflix
    21.33%
    HIDIVE
    5.33%
    Hulu (Limited Ads)
    5.33%
    Hulu (No Ads)
    4.00%
    Daisuki Premium
    0%
    Other (Please specify)
    1.33%
    None of these
    4.00%
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Crunchy Premium. That's it.

Comment

I currently subscribe to Crunchyroll Premium and Anime Strike. I plan to stick with these two services for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Crunchyroll Premium (as always) and Anime Strike. I'm also currently subscribed to Funimation Now, but more on a temporary basis. I just did recently to check out New Game S1, Hyouka, and a few other things I've been meaning to get to, and may not be doing it longer than a month.

Comment

Crunchyroll Premium, Netflix and Prime (without Strike). I refuse to shell out extra for Strike with what I pay for Prime as is.
          ~My Anime Collection~

Comment

Currently Crunchyroll Premium, Netflix and Hulu (no ads). CR is my main source of streaming anime. Hulu is my second most used service, though at this point it's more for regular TV than anime. Besides the regular TV shows, my queue there consists of mostly Funimation shows that have yet to transfer to CR and a couple of VIZ and Sentai titles. Netflix I hardly ever use, but I keep it around for the exclusives.

I may eventually sub to HIDIVE (mostly for LotGH), but they'd have to release a Roku app first. Anime Strike is a complete no go, as I have absolutely no use for Prime. No need for Funimation Now, as I'm not particularly interested in dubbed anime. If I do watch a dub, it's usually a second watch via the home video release.
            What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

I still have Crunchyroll Premium+ even though everything I use it for is now in the regular Premium, just because I want to give Crunchyroll more money. I've had their highest subscription option since Premium Memberships were introduced, and I'm proud of it. I wish it could be the only one I was subscribed to, or at least the only one I had to rely on for standard simulcasts.

My Funimation Now membership may actually still be active, but I cancelled it in Fall 2016 once all their simulcasts went to Crunchyroll. It turned out to be a good thing that it was still going, because Tales of Zestiria required me to use it the next season after all.

I've had Anime Strike since it started, because it had one exclusive I wanted to keep watching for that season, and obviously it has taken over Funimation's position of competition since then, arguably even worse this season, so I'll probably have to keep it for as long as it exists. It's easily the most necessary after Crunchyroll at this point and threatens to become more necessary. In fact, this season I'm only watching shows from those two services. I've had a Prime account since 2011, so it's not like I'm paying the double paywall just for Anime Strike, but all the other reasons still make its current position and trajectory very upsetting.

I'm still signed into my former roommate's Netflix account on my Roku, so I have that for the foreseeable future, even though I'm not actually subscribed to it. I don't know if I've actually watched any anime on Netflix in all this time, but I will watch Fate/Apocrypha once that arrives.

I did the trial for HIDIVE and might've paid the first month before determining that they weren't going to have anything for this season except a couple of very bad shows. I can wait for the home video releases for my legal Legend of the Galactic Heroes viewing.

I haven't needed my Hulu subscription this season or last, but I still have the No Ads option because my girlfriend had started to watch Sailor Moon on it. I should see if she's actually going to continue anytime soon.

I've avoided paying any money to Daisuki, and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I haven't been streaming much this year, I've mostly gone for my BD's. I was a CR Premium subscriber in the Winter 2017 season, but their catalog hasn't been tempting enough for me in Spring and Summer 2017, even with a VPN.

I have Prime, but Strike ain't an option over here. I rarely watch anything on Netflix and when I do, I do it at a friend's place and he has a Netflix subscription.

Overall, I've been streaming less and less...

Comment

I have a Crunchyroll Premium and a Netflix subscription (I do watch more on Netflix, including the Mystery Science Theater 3000 revival, than anime). So far as I understand, Anime Strike isn't available in Canada yet, but I can't seem to find any definite answers as to whether the Anime Strike titles are available on "regular" Amazon Prime outside of the United States... I do know I wouldn't use Amazon Prime for much outside of streaming video, though, and there's also the little wrinkle of it not being available over the Chromecast I use to put Crunchyroll and Netflix on my TV.

Comment

I have Netflix and Crunchyroll Premium mainly for my two daughters to use. I myself don't stream much at all, as I'm old school and strictly a physical media collector. I am actually not a fan or a supporter of streaming at all; I pretty much detest it because it is the vile enemy of my solid media. I use streaming as a means to preview a few episodes of an anime series so I can determine if I want to buy it on Blu-ray or not. I very seldom ever watch an entire series to the end via streaming - usually I'll watch 5 or 6 episodes max and then decide to either buy it or drop it.

Comment

I've had Prime, Netflix, and Hulu for several years. They are much cheaper than having a cable bundle and allow me to watch most of what I want to. I also have Anime Strike and HiDIVE. They have dubbed content that I can't watch anywhere else, and while I prefer to buy Blurays, I like to try out shows a bit before I purchase them.

Comment

For me, I have Crunchyroll Premium, Funimation Now, and Anime Strike. I plan on staying with Crunchyroll for the forseeable future as it has the lion's share of the shows. I have little use for the Premium+ perks, so just staying on Premium is enough for me.

I plan to keep my Funimation subscription for at least through next year as I'm continuing to watch One Piece and I plan on watching the simuldub for the third season of Fairy Tail (and that probably will run through 2019 as well). While I will be doing my usual bingefest again this winter, this might be the last time I do it as I'm running out of stuff to binge on. After 2018, I'll re-evaluate things before deciding whether I subscribe again in 2019 or to just do it off and on.

It looks like I'll be keeping Anime Strike for the foreseeable future as Amazon is snapping up quite a lot of shows exclusively for themselves these days. I have been using my family's Prime account for my Anime Strike subscription, so that leaves me responsible for just the $5 a month subscription fee while my family uses all of the Prime benefits.

I plan on subscribing to Hulu for a month sometime soon to watch the Aniplex dubs, and to Netflix this fall when Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha are out, while also watching Little Witch Academia and the second half of Ajin. Those two services will be subscribed too off and on (and I want to limit it to twice within a year, but so far in 2017 I haven't had the need to subscribe).

With HIDIVE, I plan to sign up for it soon, but for now I'm not as I would only be doing it to watch two shows that I don't really care about this season. And lastly, there's Daisuki, and not only is there nothing for me to watch with the membership that can be watched for free (or with another membership), but it looks like I can't even sign up for them as it is currently disabled.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
                        Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
                        Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

My subscriptions haven't really changed from a year ago & are as follows:

Crunchyroll Premium: My main source for current anime. I haven't checked out their manga offerings yet but I probably will sometime. In addition to anime I'm also watching some of the live-action shows that they have like Ultraman Max & the live-action version of Wakako-Zake (Hoping that they get Season 3 soon).

Amazon Prime: I'm not doing that much anime-wise with this since I use it mostly for movies & the occasional TV show (I do have RahXephon & GetBackers on my watchlist though).

Netflix: Again, mostly for movies & their original shows like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black & the Marvel Productions shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage & Iron Fist). Ajin, Kuromukuro & Little Witch Academia TV are the anime shows that I'm watching there now.

Hulu (No ads): Mostly current TV here with an occasional anime show here & there.
                          Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
                          FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                          Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

I have VRV since that kills two stones with one bird (Crunchyroll & FUNimation) along with Netflix for their originals, Amazon Prime w/o Strike and HBO Go for Game of Thrones S7. I refuse to pay for Strike for as long as it is a add-on to Prime. I am not going to pay for Hidive for the foreseeable future since they have nothing that currently peaks my interest.

Comment

I still manage to get by without paying for any anime streaming subscriptions. The vast majority of my seasonal streaming comes from free viewership via Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll is still the most likely candidate for me to subscribe to in the future, but for now I continue to resist. Every time there's a first episode to a new series in a season that's available advertisement free and with resolutions unlocked I get closer to convincing myself to subscribe.

My streaming has become increasingly occasional recently however due to work schedules, and I feel like I'm in even less of a rush to view new episodes the instant they come out. There are a couple of shows that I try to keep up with every single week as they air, but I'm even falling behind on my weekly streaming shows from last season now still. It seems like my streaming efforts are following suit with my backlog culture with watching my Blu-ray and DVD sets.

So in that vein I probably won't be subscribing to anything any time soon. I can appreciate the extra money in my wallet each month that I can instead throw at the vast amount of Collectors/Limited/Premium sets getting released these days. Those things certainly aren't getting any cheaper, and their numbers seem to be multiplying as time goes on. Not that I'm complaining or anything. It's a great time to be an anime fan right now.
                              Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                              Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X