Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis

Widgets Magazine
    Amazon listing

Blu-ray:
    - Studio: SPE
    - February 21, 2017
    - $26.99

When sold by Amazon.com, this product is manufactured on demand using BD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

EDIT: For that want to import the UK's release (via Eureka Entertainment) instead...

Amazon.co.uk
    - OSAMU TEZUKAS METROPOLIS (Limited Edition Dual-Format) SteelBook [Blu-ray] | Janaury 16, 2017
    - OSAMU TEZUKAS METROPOLIS (Standard Dual-Format Edition) [Blu-ray] | March 13, 2017

Zavvi
    - Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - Dual Format Limited Edition Steelbook (Includes DVD) Blu-ray | Janaury 16, 2017
    - Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - Dual Format (Includes DVD) Blu-ray | March 13, 2017
    Last edited by WTK; 01-14-2017, 09:34 AM.

Re: Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis

what else have they done on damand ?

Comment

Will it play on a PS4?

Comment

Originally posted by gundamcero View Post
        Will it play on a PS4?
        Note that "SPE" is Sony Pictures Entertainment, so the answer is probably yes.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Already have the UK steelbook on pre-order to import over - especially glad now that I see this... Sorry, but I will never buy any retail movie, series, or anime on BD-R, I don't care what they may say about any longevity or playability claims. At first I assumed this was just another Media Blasters stunt, but I see it is Sony/Amazon doing this now. If this is going to be the future industry trend, then that will be the death of solid media for me, and the end to my collecting. Time to start releasing everything on flash drives, then.
          Last edited by t-Roy; 01-14-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Ugh. If Sony doesn't feel like giving this a pressed release, they should atleast sub-license it out to a company that will. I hope that if they plan on re-releasing Tokyo Godfathers on the format in the future, it gets better treatment.
            Last edited by kyon; 01-16-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
              Will it play on a PS4?
              Also,

"Important Product Information - This product is manufactured on demand in the BD-R format. It will play in nearly all leading Blu-ray players that have the latest firmware updates. Microsoft Xbox One, however, does not currently support BD-R playback."

I'm assuming since they specifically mention the Xbox, they would say something about the PS4 too if that was an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
                Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                Will it play on a PS4?
                Also,

"Important Product Information - This product is manufactured on demand in the BD-R format. It will play in nearly all leading Blu-ray players that have the latest firmware updates. Microsoft Xbox One, however, does not currently support BD-R playback."

I'm assuming since they specifically mention the Xbox, they would say something about the PS4 too if that was an issue.
                I've only ever bought one BD-R from Amazon and it did play on my PS4. I'm trying to remember what the film was though.

Comment

One poster on Blu-Ray.com got a copy of the Eureka edition and says it is Region A compatible.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=62

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
                    One poster on Blu-Ray.com got a copy of the Eureka edition and says it is Region A compatible.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=62
                    I can confirm, I just received the Eureka Steelbook release, and it is definately region A compatible, 1080p, and has the photo at the end of the credits.
                    -Keith

Comment

The SteelBook edition looks very nice. But is there an issue with it being an on demand Bluray ?
                      Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

its the US version that is on demand.

Comment

Sigh, I'm still waiting on my UK Steelbook set - Amazon UK sent one out to me and it was returned to them by the postal company... I have a feeling the package got smashed or severely damaged. I had to re-order it, so it probably won't get to me now until next week sometime.

EDIT: I did finally get my UK Metropolis steelbook on February 9th - very nice!
                          Last edited by t-Roy; 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyon View Post
                            Ugh. If Sony doesn't feel like giving this a pressed release, they should atleast sub-license it out to a company that will. I hope that if they plan on re-releasing Tokyo Godfathers on the format in the future, it gets better treatment.
                            I'm cringing so hard at this thought. Please just don't tarnish Tokyo Godfathers with this insult of a release.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R248IFE5N92XLM
                              Originally posted by MiRSD
                              I wanted to share my thoughts on this as all of the other reviews have so far been upset that this is a "burned" blu-ray disc and not an actual review.

To start off, this is a "burned" Blu-Ray disc - it's part of SONY's Choice Collection which allows them to release titles that may not otherwise get a blu-ray release, by offering a burn-on-demand limited run.

Despite what others say, the disc DID play on my PS4 Pro (using current software) without any issues.

The disc comes in a normal Blu-Ray case with very nice cover art. The audio is presented in English and Japanese DTS HD-MA 5.1 audio. Video is 1080p and 1.85:1 ratio.

The disc itself is basic, a white label with the title on it and (without using a computer, just judging by the data on the bottom of the disc) appears to use about 90-95% of the capacity of the disc.

Features on the disc include a Filmmaker Interview (this appears to be from a DVD and is low quality. There is also a theatrical trailer).

The video quality on the disc is GOOD. It's nice and sharp, but has a fair amount of noise throughout. It's a definite improvement over the DVD release and the noise appears to be from the film itself. Small details/words can easily be read and the colors are also good. I was expecting a bit more, but I assume that's more due to the master than the fault of the disc.

I do wish the release were a bit cheaper. At 27 bucks, it's fairly pricey.. but its also the only US release of the film on Blu-Ray.

You can import it for about the same price, but I wouldn't expect too much of a difference in quality.

The movie itself is very good -- you're best off watching a trailer for it or reading the reviews from the DVD Version to see about the movie itself. I owned the DVD years ago and loved it - I'd put it up there with a lot of the other titles like Akira and Ghost in the Shell as a very enjoyable Anime. It's much different from a lot of the modern day series' you see and has a very classic look mixed with some more recent technology like CGI.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X