Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] GKIDS to distribute MIRAI

Widgets Magazine
    No prefix tag yet. Mamoru Hosoda's next film is being shopped already.

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/...ive-1202429514
    Cannes: Leading Japanese Animation Director Mamoru Hosoda Discusses Next Project (EXCLUSIVE)

Mamoru Hosoda, the Japanese director of hit animated feature ?The Boy and the Beast,? is reuniting with high-profile banner Studio Chizu for his next film, ?Mirai,? which is being shopped at the Cannes film market by the newly-launched sales banner Charades.

?Mirai? follows a 4-year old boy who is struggling to cope with the arrival of a little sister in the family, until things turn magical. A mysterious garden in the backyard of the boy?s home becomes a gateway allowing the child to travel in time and encounter his mother as a little girl, his great-grandfather as a young man and his sister has a grown woman. These fantasy-filled adventures allow the child to change his perspective and help him become the big brother he was meant to be. Hosoda discussed about the project and his body of work with Variety in the run up to Cannes.

What is the genesis of ?Mirai??

There is a common thread in the themes of my films: ?The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? was about youth, ?Summer Wars? was about family, ?Wolf Children,? ?Ame? and ?Yuki? were about motherhood,? ?The Boy and The Beast? was about the father, and my new film is about the relationship between brothers and sisters. ?Mirai? is about a boy who is trying to reclaim the love of his parents.?

How personal is this new project, ?Mirai??

If I decided to tell the story of a brother and sister, it?s because after the birth of my second child, our eldest one got the impression that this newly arrived baby stole her parents, which made her ferociously jealous. I understood then what humans fundamentally desire, what they thirst for. It?s my child?s jealousy that gave me the idea to do this film.

Can this film appeal to adults as much as children audiences?

Yes. When I directed ?Wolf Children,? which was also about the upbringing of children, I wasn?t a parent yet, but I wanted to become one. It was probably this desire of becoming a father and no longer the desire of individual self-accomplishment that pushed me to make this film. Now that I?m the father of two kids, I?ve understood that things aren?t the way I imagined them to be. The experience of fatherhood taught me the meaning of life. I hope I can show that in the film.

At the same time, the role of the mother is a crucial one. In your films, you underline the importance of women.

This stems more from my wife than from women in general. Her influence on me is considerable. She?s the one who stimulates me and gives me the desire to make films. She gives me her strength and her ability to face problems and how to solve them.

?Summer Wars? and ?The Boy and the Beast? belong to a different category of film. It seems to me that this new movie is closer to ?Wolf Children? and ?The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.?

To a certain extent, yes. One could classify my films in two categories: ?Summer Wars? and ?The Boy and the Beast? are more action films, whereas ?The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,? ?Wolf Children? and my new film are more human dramas that talk about life and bring up the lived experiences of several generations. It?s true that in ?Summer Wars,? it is through action that the protagonist overcomes his problems. And it?s true as well that this new film tells more of a human drama.

Are there any similarities between The Boy and the Beast and your new film?

Yes, because I directed ?Wolf Children,? I was able to do ?The Boy and the Beast,? and it?s because I directed ?The Boy and the Beast? that I was able to do this new film. Each project allows me to develop, to show something new, while at the same time staying coherent with my previous films. This is because I share my life with very young children. This experience gives me the sensation of finding back my own childhood, to relive the different steps through which I grew up. This sensation makes me understand how life repeats itself, how lives and time overlay one another. There is this flow of life and time in my new film.

Did you write the screenplay alone or with someone else?

This time I wrote it alone. But I always listen to the opinions and the experiences of the producers, so that the film becomes really universal doesn?t get made based my own personal experiences.

How important is it for you to write stories that are not only for Japanese audiences but for international ones as well?

Very important, not only for the screenplay but also for the subject matter. When it comes to dialogues, I often use the words of my own wife. But I think these words are not meant for me, but hopefully for everyone on Earth. I want my films to be seen by very diverse international audiences.

In the West, during the making of an animated film, animators are constantly asked to change and modify things every step of the way. Is that also the case in Japan and for you?

In my case, I often make changes in between the screenplay and the storyboard, but not in between the storyboard and the finished film. I write the screenplay myself and I consider the storyboard to be the final version of the screenplay, with the drawings and the mise en sc?ne already established. So, I polish the final version of the screenplay while writing the storyboard, which in turn becomes the final screenplay. After that, I change very little. Once the storyboard is finished, I delete very few shots.

From a Western point of view, the time in-between the storyboard and the completed film is so short in Japan.

This is due to the ?auteur policy? that centralizes the power in the hands of the director. The director typically researches and thinks as much as he/she can during the writing phase of the storyboard, and then tries to be pragmatic when the film goes into production.

http://4NN.cx/.125261
    Hosoda's Mirai in the Future Film to Screen Theatrically in 57 Countries
    posted on 2017-12-14 03:00 EST

Talks underway for distribution in N. America, France, other territories

At a press conference to announce Mamoru Hosoda's new Mirai no Mirai (Mirai in the Future) film on Wednesday, director Mamoru Hosoda and producer Yuichiro Saito discussed more details about the film.

Saito revealed that Studio Chizu was offering the foreign distribution rights to the film during the Cannes Film Festival in May, and that the film is already slated to open in 57 countries, with negotiations underway for North America and France. Saito added that the deals include a requirement to screen the film in theaters first, in addition to broadcast and streaming rights. Charades — a new international sales banner launched by Carole Baraton (formerly at Wild Bunch), Yohann Comte, and Pierre Mazars (formerly at StudioCanal) — represented the film at Cannes. Comte handled sales on Hosoda's previous film The Boy and The Beast when he was deputy head of sales at Gaumont.

Saito also revealed that the movie's runtime is around 100 minutes. He noted that while people might think a shorter runtime makes the movie easier to make, that is not actually the case. Auditions are currently ongoing for voice talent.

Hosoda revealed that the film's actual setting is Yokohama, "somewhere uptown, near Isago and Kanazawa wards." He did not specify whether the setting will be important to the specific plot events in the movie, but the location is part of an important past event for the family in the story.

Hosoda clarified that he keeps making works with a family theme because he is not done writing about the topic, and said that it can't be portrayed in one work alone. He added that even if the film is produced in Japan, it has a universality to it that will appeal to the foreign market.

[...]

Sources: Animation Business Journal (Tadashi Sudo), Comic Natalie

Comment

http://variety.com/2018/film/global/...018-1202698558

Mamoru Hosoda's 'Mirai' Pre-Sells to GKids, Other Distributors (EXCLUSIVE)

GKids has acquired U.S. rights to “Mirai of the Future,” the feature by Japanese animation maestro Mamoru Hosoda, which Charades is selling.

[...]

Canada (MK2 Mile End)

Comment

Why isn't FUNimation distributing this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman12340 View Post
          Why isn't FUNimation distributing this?
          Funi apparently let gkids distribute the hosada films theatrically. So this might be just the theatrical rights. However, given PR states they're working closely with the studio, Gkids themselves releasing more films to physical retailers, not seeing any other articles of gkids announcing distribution rights for hosada titles in the past and no mention or posting of funi receiving the physical distribution rights yet. This sounds like a plausible concern.

Comment

https://www.gkids.com/films/mirai | movie key art

https://www.facebook.com/GKIDSfilms/...822213/?type=3
            GKIDS is proud to announce our newest film, MIRAI! From Mamoru Hosoda, the celebrated director of Boy and the Beast and Wolf Children, comes a beautiful and time-bending adventure about what it means to be a family. Learn more at MiraiMovie.com
            https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...52463104688128
            GKIDS is proud to announce our newest film, MIRAI! From Mamoru Hosoda, the celebrated director of Boy and the Beast and Wolf Children, comes a beautiful and time-bending adventure about what it means to be a family. Learn more at http://MiraiMovie.com

Comment

http://www.animationmagazine.net/fea...ers-with-gkids
              GKIDS has picked up North American distribution rights for Mirai, the highly anticipated new animated feature from celebrated director Mamoru Hosoda (The Boy and the Beast, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). The Studio Chizu production will receive a theatrical release on this side of the Pacific in fall, screening in both original Japanese and a new English dubbed version.

Comment

Originally posted by An Average Aspie View Post
                Funi apparently let gkids distribute the hosada films theatrically. So this might be just the theatrical rights. However, given PR states they're working closely with the studio, Gkids themselves releasing more films to physical retailers, not seeing any other articles of gkids announcing distribution rights for hosada titles in the past and no mention or posting of funi receiving the physical distribution rights yet. This sounds like a plausible concern.
                I reached out to them and this was their response. How the hell did FUNimation let this one slip by, especially after their line of "Hosoda Collection" releases?

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman12340 View Post
                  How the hell did FUNimation let this one slip by, especially after their line of "Hosoda Collection" releases?
                  Its surprising. I bet its due to how big Gkids is becoming and how Funi has their own theatrical distribution subsidiary (I think they're cool with just theater showcasing given they're distributing Big Fish possibly for Shout Factory). And the Variety article got a user I know guessing a new company that isn't TOHO (thats how they possibly got your name) or Kadokawa. Is selling the international rights. So it must've been a winner take all acquisition.

Comment

Well, at least we'll likely get child actors for the dub. But yeah really surprised that Funimation let this one slip by.
                    My Anime List
                    YouTube <- I do collection Videos
                    Avatar: from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Comment

Given that Funi had the market on the Hosoda films cornered that I was expecting them to get it and not GKids. With this pickup, GKids has definitely become a force to be reckoned with when it comes to anime films and it's a good thing Your Name came out before they rose to prominence as there would have been a bidding war for what people are considering to be the G.O.A.T.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Super Bowl LIII from Atlanta
                      Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
                      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Damn, so much for the Hosoda Collection... I hope GKids treats it right, but it's still very disappointing to know that Funimation's release line ends as quickly as it possibly could've, with it being established upon the release of the Boy and the Beast yet not able to continue for his very next work. I also greatly appreciated Mike McFarland getting to direct every Hosoda movie since Summer Wars, but at least this probably just means it will be handled by NYAV Post instead, so it should still be a top-notch production. Funny that Sinterniklaas will likely end up heavily involved in two Hosoda movies from two completely different sides.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

All-rights deal noted from yesterday's PR.

http://4NN.cx/.127930

GKIDS ACQUIRES NORTH AMERICAN RIGHTS TO MIRAI

FROM ACCLAIMED DIRECTOR MAMORU HOSODA

THEATRICAL RELEASE SET FOR FALL 2018

New York, NY (February 16, 2018) - GKIDS, the acclaimed producer and distributor of animation for adult and family audiences, announced it has acquired the North American distribution rights for the animated feature MIRAI from Japan's Studio Chizu. The film is written and helmed by Mamoru Hosoda, the celebrated director behind The Boy and the Beast, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. GKIDS will release the film theatrically this fall in both its original Japanese language and a new English dubbed version.

MIRAI follows a young boy named Kun who feels forgotten by his family when his little sister Mirai arrives. Running away from home, Kun stumbles upon a magical garden that serves as time-travelling gateway where he encounters his mother as a little girl and has a series of adventures with his baby sister all grown up, opening up a new perspective on his world.

The all-rights deal was negotiated by Eric Beckman of GKIDS and Yohann Comte and Carole Baraton of Charades.

"GKIDS is both thrilled and honored to be releasing the newest film from the great Mamoru Hosoda, a true master and one of the most exciting, iconic, and humanist filmmakers working in animation," said Eric Beckman, Founder/CEO of GKIDS. "His previous films The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and The Boy and the Beast rank among my favorite animated films of all time and everyone at GKIDS is so excited to be working together with Studio Chizu and Charades on this project!"

Comment

Subbed trailer via STUDIO CHIZU: https://youtu.be/FKE_LfXh8iI

Comment

Late 2018 theatrical release

https://twitter.com/SloanTheOtaku/st...79667293474816 (Anime Boston)
                              GKIDS ANNOUNCEMENT
                              (International title TBD) But Mamoru Hosoda’s new film will screening in the US later 2018

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X