Discotek Media licenses Lupin the Third Part 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...60466040553472
    #LupinThe3rd is back on Toonami this weekend, and to celebrate we have something a little special planned. Stay tuned?

Comment

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...80462716874752
      Tomorrow night after #LupinThe3rd airs on Toonami, @RichardEpcar & @ellynstern will be joining us live for a fan Q&A on Twitter! Be there!
      https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...81051156750336
      Note: This is for the East coast airing only.

Comment

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...97601491849216
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."

Lupin. Da Vinci. Tonight on Toonami.

Join us after the show for a livestream with @MichelleRuffvo1, @LexLang, @DougErholtz, @RichardEpcar & @ellynstern!
        (Tweet us Q?s with #LupinThe3rd)

Comment

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...87997967835136
          Blu-Ray when?

Details will be coming soon! We just gotta get it right for you guys! Please bear with us!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmed...240660/?type=3
            New titles for May 29th 2018 release! Pre-orders will be listed asap.

Lupin the 3rd Part 4, The Italian Adventure on Blu Ray! The complete English language edition as seen on Cartoon Network. The Japanese language version will be released separately at a future date to be determined.

Comment

I'm just going to recycle my comments from the Lupin forums on this:

https://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/fo...ic,3656.0.html

Wow. So literally the day after I post this we get a date for the English-language Only version of Part IV. Wait is this for real? In the era of Blu-ray a feature that is available on DVD (dual audio) is being separated across two releases and those of us who want Japanese audio can hurry up and wait some more?

Honestly f♤♡◇ off Discotek. This is a really shitty thing to do. I would actually have preferred you release a nice LE set along the lines of what Funimation did for Bebop and charge us $100+ for it, at least then I would have felt somewhat valued as a consumer. What a kick in the crotch. I didn't realize we were still in the VHS era where studios could legitimately justify separate English Dub and Japanese Dub releases like this...
              Last edited by Lupin The Third; 03-23-2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I've enjoyed Discotek releasing many older movies and shows, but if they're going to pull this kinda stuff, I'm not sure I want to support them anymore.

Comment

I have plenty of Lupin in my Backlog of DOOOOOOM so I don't mind waiting for the Japanese release (I don't watch English dubs), but I feel for people that would like both. I'm a little surprised they can't do a box set with both a la Sherlock Hound or something.

Comment

Oh Jesus, what year is it? I don't know what caused such a ridiculous situation, but I thought it was understood that we were all well past considering this sort of thing acceptable no matter the situation.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Yeeesh... Licensor request I'm assuming? I'll still more than likely be buying one of the Blu Ray releases, though I'd like an explanation for the split.
                      Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Originally posted by Mach Rider View Post
                        Yeeesh... Licensor request I'm assuming? I'll still more than likely be buying one of the Blu Ray releases, though I'd like an explanation for the split.
                        Your explanation is on the previous page but to keep it a bit short.

English dub = Based off the Italian broadcast version w/Italian music score
                        Japanese = It's own broadcast version w/Japanese music score

Both have different edits from each other which would make syncing the dub to the latter difficult. Since you don't watch Toonami (and that's okay because neither do I most of the time), there was a lot of heat directed at Discotek online over the score change while it was airing from people completely unaware that this dub was produced by TMS LONG before Discotek got the license (both Richard Epcar & Michelle Ruff revealed their involvement back in the Winter of 2016 while Discotek announced their license 3 seasons later) so if you want to blame anyone here, it goes to TMS (again).
                        Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Before you pitchfork and pillory us, let me explain all this further, because we've worked really hard to try to figure out how to tackle this release over the past year. It is not just a matter of putting different audio tracks on a set of discs; both versions are COMPLETELY different edits.

-The Italian version with the Papik/TMS Music Score was done first.
                          -The International Version was created based on the Italian version.
                          -The International Version was used as the basis to dub the English version.
                          -The Japanese Version was then created and released. It is a completely different version than the International Version.
                          -The Japanese Version is about 2 minutes shorter in general from the International Version.
                          -The International Version features a minute and a half roll call that doesn't exist in the Japanese version at all (it's a bonus on one of the JP blurays). This is where a lot of the time comes from.
                          -The International Version has its own, unique opening and ending sequences.
                          -The International Version and Japanese versions have completely different Next Episode Previews compared to one another.
                          -The Episode Title Screens are completely different between the Japanese and International versions.
                          -The eyecatches have different animation and are different between both versions.
                          -The International Version and Japanese Version have minor edit differences in some episodes. Different takes of animation. Slightly longer or even shorter scenes, etc. Like the scene of Nyx appearing at the end of episode 1 in the International version has about 15 frames more animation not in the Japanese version.
                          -Episode 3 and 6 (I believe it's 6, the Venice of the Dead episode) are completely different cuts between each version and both have different animation. I don't just mean longer or shorter animation, I mean they completely reanimated a bunch of sequences. As such they really do not line up at all.
                          -The Japanese Version has different takes of animation, retakes to fix typos, and a lot of other things.
                          -The Japanese Version's episodes are numbered completely differently. 2 of the episodes on the Japanese version are "bonus episodes", where in the Italian version they are not. (For our release we're going to try to release them in chronological order)
                          -The Japanese Version removed the original score, and has a replacement score from Yuji Ohno.
                          -Again, the Italian version came first, and its score is the original score. It is not the replacement score.

This was all done before we were licensed the show. On our end, we were just given the masters for both and given the word go.

As for why we didn't do one huge set: Blu-rays are very expensive to run. If we included both in one set, it would double the price of the set because we would have to do 6 discs vs. 3. Meaning like a $90 MSRP or something that no one would pay for. Splitting the sets means if you do not care about the English version, you can just buy the Japanese version. If you just want the English, you get the English. If you want both, you can still get both. Given the options; One huge expensive set and two cheaper sets, it's better for consumers that it is split. You are getting nothing different than if it were one set, except the choice to buy more or less of the show.

These are all things we discovered as we tried very hard to find a way to marry the English dub to the Japanese version so we could do a bilingual release. Even if we were able to do that, we would be discarding the different animation, roll call, and alternate opening sequences, etc. in favor of one cut.

Marrying the English dub to the Japanese version for this show would be like if we took the English version of Sherlock Hound, cut out all the extra scenes, and then synced it to the Japanese cut. People would pitchfork us!

Hopefully me explaining this all to you guys should show how seriously we looked into this. We are still exploring our options for the Japanese cut. However, no matter what happens with the set with the Japanese cut, or what it becomes, the English cut is a completely different cut with different animation and content and it is just as valid to exist as a release as the Japanese version.
                          Last edited by Ashura; 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully my post didn't come off too pitchfork-y, that wasn't my intention. I fully understand that with most TMS shows if there's an oddity with the R1 release, the blame should automatically be assumed to be on their end (something many Detective Conan fans are used to). I'll still probably end up picking up the English dubbed version, maybe even both out of curiosity. The dual soundtrack is just something that bothers me on principle, I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience (like with Monster's rearranged OST for the dub, or the Yamamoto music in the Cell arc in DBZ Kai, plagiarism be damned). But again, I understand that TMS is the one that spilled coffee on the bed yet again, not Discotek.
                            Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Originally posted by Ashura View Post
                              Hopefully me explaining this all to you guys should show how seriously we looked into this. We are still exploring our options for the Japanese cut. However, no matter what happens with the set with the Japanese cut, or what it becomes, the English cut is a completely different cut with different animation and content and it is just as valid to exist as a release as the Japanese version.
                              Thank you for your explanation. Do you have any idea as to when the Japanese version will be released? Before 2018 (ends, oops)?
                              Last edited by Bossman12340; 03-25-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

The whole situation's completely understandable. I just wish TMS had given the Japanese edit to the dubbers instead of the Italian cut. I still plan to buy the subtitled set, since some of my other Lupin DVDs don't have dubs.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X