Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FUNimation Mobile App

iPod touch (3rd generation)

My 2nd gen iPod is out of luck, guess I'm stuck with Crunchy as their app works fine.

Comment

via YouTube - FUNimation Moblie App - Walkthrough

Comment

via NebsTV Twitter
        Tablet versions of the @FUNimation app will be out in July! #acen http://pic.twitter.com/EV7zMcvK

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
          via NebsTV Twitter
          Tablet versions of the @FUNimation app will be out in July! #acen http://pic.twitter.com/EV7zMcvK
          Excellent! I was a little surprised that the tablet version wasn't ready at launch - I've been using the phone version of the app on my iPad (video comes out decently even when have things zoomed in to fill out the screen), but would prefer a formal tablet version.
          The casual cosplayer formerly known as Hielostar
          MyAnimeList/Twitter

Comment

What I find odd is that it isn't compatible with my Motorola Photon 4G with a 4.3" widescreen, but its compatible with the slower and smaller LG Optimus S w/a 3.2" screen.
            My DVD List: DVDAficianado / DVDProfiler - My Manga: ANN Manga - Visible collection (includes non-anime - current as of Sept 27th)

Comment

Wouldn't a separate tablet version on Android be moot after Ice Cream Sandwich takes over as the major OS on available devices this year? Since ICS is supposed to scale apps to the size of the display automatically. I guess it's still too early in the game for it to be widespread enough, and as such requires a separate version for older devices that won't receive an ICS update in order to ensure compatibility across the largest audience. I think I'm starting to realize that the more you stay on the forefront of technology, the more you see how much the rest of the market seemingly lags behind. There really haven't been enough Ice Cream Sandwich devices released yet, even though it was first released on the Galaxy Nexus in December in the US.
              Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
              Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
                Wouldn't a separate tablet version on Android be moot after Ice Cream Sandwich takes over as the major OS on available devices this year? Since ICS is supposed to scale apps to the size of the display automatically. I guess it's still too early in the game for it to be widespread enough, and as such requires a separate version for older devices that won't receive an ICS update in order to ensure compatibility across the largest audience. I think I'm starting to realize that the more you stay on the forefront of technology, the more you see how much the rest of the market seemingly lags behind. There really haven't been enough Ice Cream Sandwich devices released yet, even though it was first released on the Galaxy Nexus in December in the US.
                I would guess that the scaling on Android has been so sketchy to this point that Funimation isn't taking any chances regardless of ICS; I would also speculate that the cell carriers and device manufacturers are so retarded about allowing people to upgrade from old versions of Android that Funimation looks at a tablet-specific version as necessary for more people to enjoy the app. If Google had required any standards at all for devices to run Android OS, like the competition did, and if Google had told the carriers and manufacturers to not block updates to Android OS, like the competition said, this wouldn't be a problem.
                I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                Stephen King

Comment

Those are all fairly good things to mention. While I was writing that last post I kind of remembered that the majority of Android tablets on the market are still utilizing Honeycomb. As you mention though, with smartphones being tied to specific carriers in the US it's pretty difficult to get an Android update pushed through to existing devices since all of the carriers have to put out their own version of the update with all of their "enhancements". I have to agree that the wide scope of hardware possibilities probably makes Android harder to program for. It's the same old story of computer wars with PC vs. Mac (unless you want to consider Windows Phone as the PC version, hah!) I did notice people are asking if there will be a Windows Phone version of the App as well, though.

I guess it's still relevant to have a separate tablet-specific version at this point in time, considering that Ice Cream Sandwich isn't widespread enough, in addition to the issues with scalability. I'm just kind of curious as to which version would be more useful on a phone that has an HD screen and ICS (like the GNex). I'll most likely end up getting the Galaxy S III, which is set to be announced this week, and it's supposed to have a similar sized 720p screen as well. I'd have to think that the tablet version might be capable of running stuff in HD whereas the smartphone version might be limited to smaller resolutions. Hopefully Funimation will be able to describe the differences between the two App versions when it comes time for them to release it.
                  Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                  Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
                    I'd have to think that the tablet version might be capable of running stuff in HD whereas the smartphone version might be limited to smaller resolutions. Hopefully Funimation will be able to describe the differences between the two App versions when it comes time for them to release it.
                    When you factor in that playback of HD video hits the battery rather harder than SD/ED video, it's honestly preferable to use the smaller resolutions on smartphones even if the screens are HD-capable. I don't know how it is on the Android devices, but the video scaling on the iPhone is totally fine for upscaling 480p, and I like being able to watch a couple of episodes and then still use my iPhone as, you know, a phone. Or an Internet platform. Or a game player.

I have streamed with the Crunchyroll app, but I don't very often as I have a whole ton of owned stuff to watch. Still, I'm interested to see what Funimation does with its app. Especially if Funimation figures out that the pay wall is a prohibitive barrier for skinflints like myself.
                    I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                    Stephen King

Comment

Are their simulcasts on the free app?

Comment

Originally posted by sickvisionz View Post
                        Are their simulcasts even on their paid app? I'd consider getting it, but all I really want to watch on it are simulcasts, since I'll buy the DVDs/BDs of other shows I want.

Comment

Originally posted by cmage View Post
                          Are their simulcasts even on their paid app? I'd consider getting it, but all I really want to watch on it are simulcasts, since I'll buy the DVDs/BDs of other shows I want.
                          I have the paid app, and the only simulcast accessible through it is Jormungand.

Comment

Originally posted by hbgouvea View Post
                            Originally posted by cmage View Post
                            I have the paid app, and the only simulcast accessible through it is Jormungand.
                            The Lupin simulcast is also available through the paid app (I made sure I logged out, as I'm a subscriber as well so I didn't want that to impact what shows turned up to watch). Not sure about any other simulcasts, as Jormungand and Lupin are the two I'm keeping up with this season from Funi.
                            The casual cosplayer formerly known as Hielostar
                            MyAnimeList/Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MsHielo View Post
                              The Lupin simulcast is also available through the paid app (I made sure I logged out, as I'm a subscriber as well so I didn't want that to impact what shows turned up to watch). Not sure about any other simulcasts, as Jormungand and Lupin are the two I'm keeping up with this season from Funi.
                              Thanks! I'm watching Lupin, so I went ahead and purchased it. I hope Eureka Seven AO shows up tomorrow, too. *crosses fingers*

Comment

Re: FUNimation.com Elite subscription

via FUNimation.com
                                FUNimation Simulcasts - Now on your mobile app and in HD for Subscribers!

We have made some recent changes to how simulcasts will be released this season. This should help with your enjoyment of them week after week. Starting today you can view a large amount of our simulcasts through the FUNimation mobile app - both free and paid versions!

For all our Elite Video Subscribers out there these simulcasts will also now be available in HD.
                                Not an Elite Video Subscriber yet - Start your 14-day free trail today!

FUNimation Simulcasts now available for Mobile and EVS HD

Wednesdays
                                Is this a Zombie: of the Dead
                                11:00AM CT/12:00AM ET

Thursdays
                                Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
                                10:00AM CT/11:00AM ET

Fridays
                                Jormungand
                                10:30AM CT/11:30AM ET

Lupin the Third, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
                                11:30AM CT/12:30PM ET

Sankarea: COMING SOON!

We have also included previous simulcast shows from past seasons in our mobile app and in HD for Elite Video Subscribers as well.

For those wondering if these videos will carry over to our new tablet app for iPad and Android tablet (Look for it around late July this year) wonder no more. They most certainly will. This tablet app will also be universal with the mobile app. Which means that if you already bought the paid version of the mobile app, you won't need to pay again for the tablet app. So don't wait until the tablet app comes out, upgrade to the mobile paid version today and get it for free on its release date!
                                Last edited by WTK; 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X