• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Discotek Media Acquires Gokudo

Widgets Magazine
    https://www.facebook.com/14716805531...type=3&theater

Gokudo the complete TV series September 27th

Re: Discotek Media Acquires Gokudo

This is great news as the Media Blasters Collection release is very expensive and hard to find these days. It was also packaged in one of those ugly and huge DVD Alpha Cases. Now we can get a much more compact and fairly priced Collection. Nice rescue from Discotek!
    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

I still have the original Media Blasters singles for Gokudo. Classic series. If the A/V is improved, I might considering buying the Discotek collection.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyG View Post
        I still have the original Media Blasters singles for Gokudo. Classic series. If the A/V is improved, I might considering buying the Discotek collection.
        At the very least, I'm hoping that the original Japanese credits will be kept for the OP & ED. Don't really care if they're kept or not, but I prefer the original credits, with an English scroll at the end of the disc, which is usually what Discotek does, any way.

Regardless, I'm super happy to see this get rescued, as I've wanted to see Gokudo but didn't want to buy the original singles or spend the ridiculous amounts asked for the original boxset. Glad to see Discotek is reaching even further into Enoki Films' vault, too.
        Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
        Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Ha, missed this earlier. A neat, forgotten, sort of rescue.

On the dub side of things, long out of print, it's been kind of a good "lost" early aughts Headline (Timoney/DiGiorgi) dub, around the same time of Boogiepop Phantom and His and Her Circumstance for Right Stuf. I mention that because it's about the main reason I kept the show around. It's a fun beginning, and weird end, but the middle does drag a little. One of my favorite Angora Deb roles, however...
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

This series has been been OOP for a very long time. It's one of the earlier titles to go fully OOP from Media Blasters. Solid acquisition from Enoki.

Comment

I was considering hunting down the MB singles or box set. Always heard great things about this show. I will definitely pick this up.
              Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
              Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
              Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                I mention that because it's about the main reason I kept the show around.
                What do you know, I must have sold it off several years ago, after all. (Little as I buy anymore, I don't keep track as well as I used to for these things.) Well, alright then. If there are some new tricks to this release I guess I have a reason to get it again.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                TFP Forum Rules

Comment

via Amazon:
                  - Gokudo: Complete Collection - $44.95 - 9/27/16

via CD Universe:
                  - Gokudo: Complete Collection - $44.95 - 9/27/16

EDIT: now @ http://www.rightstufanime.com/Gokudo-DVD
                  Last edited by WTK; 08-02-2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyG
                    Originally posted by LordGeo View Post

At the very least, I'm hoping that the original Japanese credits will be kept for the OP & ED. Don't really care if they're kept or not, but I prefer the original credits, with an English scroll at the end of the disc, which is usually what Discotek does, any way.
                    Just got this in from RSA. Unfortunately, it's pretty much a straight dump of the original Media-Blasters DVDs from 2001-02, complete with English credits, hardsubbed songs, and English title-card freeze-frame overlays. Of course, now it's 6 episodes per disc instead of 4, so I doubt there's much chance for improved A/V quality, either. Not that I was expecting a Rayearth-level remaster job with a series of Gokudo's profile, but something in line with typical 2010s anime DVDs instead of an early-00s "VHS on DVD"-type release would've been nice.

Or maybe materials like the creditless and/or JP OPs/EDs were unavailable/lost by the Japanese side. Either way, I don't see a reason for owners of the old M-B singles or collection to double-dip on this release, aside from saving shelf space.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Zalis. I always wonder, when Discotek announces one of these DVD only license rescues, whether there will be any improvement in the video quality (obviously you can expect a major improvement for the ones with BD releases); I've seen cases where it has (DNA^2, which solved major video issues of the CPM release, but introduced other, less serious issues) and cases where it hasn't (GTO, like this, being pretty much just a re-issue of the old masters). Overall, though, most seem to be the same as the older release.

I'd imagine, for DVD only releases, most of the time it would probably be safe to assume that the materials will be the same as the previous release, unless Discotek specifically says otherwise. After all, that would be a selling point you'd think they'd emphasize.

Comment

They probably used what Enoki gave them which would explain why Demon Lord Dante wasn't affected because they had to get a different master for that show since the Geneon DVDs were censored. In that case they did include the English credit opening & ending but as extras (which they have done a lot more of lately for rescues)

Originally posted by Zalis View Post
                        Or maybe materials like the creditless and/or JP OPs/EDs were unavailable/lost by the Japanese side.
                        I got the set earlier this week (never owned the MB release) and decided to check the discs, the creditless opening & ending are the only extras included and are on Disc 4.
                        Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Gokudo the Adventurer | Anime Opening | "Prism" by BAISER (via RetroCrush)
                          https://youtu.be/lBbP3jPJjzs

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X