Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Your NIS America Purchases

Widgets Magazine
    Seeing that NIS America is getting ready to pull the plug on anime releases by all indications that now would be an appropriate time to ask this question about what stuff from NIS America is in your collection. I did one of these for Aniplex of America, and seeing that we probably aren't going to get any more releases out of NISA that I would like to ask everybody what they own from this company whose primary focus is on video games from Japan that are geared towards the otaku rather than mainstream gamers.

So to talk about NISA a bit, this is a company that went after high quality titles with limited marketability such as Bunny Drop and Natsume's Book of Friends with their approach being that they want to give people an incentive to buy these amazing titles. Thus, they released all of their premium editions with artbooks and for those who preorderd their stuff on the NISA store, a bonus item seeing that dubbing costs quite a lot, and in place of a dub to gain buyers, they offered all of those fancy extras. But it looks like the end is coming with the first sign being that Funimation has Love Live! Sunshine instead of NISA even though the Love Live premium editions sold out so quickly. There's that, and the fact that they haven't licensed anything new for over a year now.

So with that, I would like to ask you what you have purchased from NIS America that's in your collection much like what you did for the Aniplex purchases thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: Your NIS America Purchases

AnoHana The Flower We Saw That Day TV Series Blu-ray/DVD
    Arakawa Under the Bridge Seasons 1 &2 Blu-ray
    Cardcaptor Sakura Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray
    Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl Blu-ray/DVD
    Love Live! School Idol Project Season 1 Standard Edition Blu-ray
    Love Live School Idol Project Season 2 Premium Edition Blu-ray
    A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray
    Occult Academy Blu-ray
    Pandora Hearts Sets 1 & 2 DVD
    Toradora! Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura Complete Premium Edition

My most recent RightStuf order just shipped and it includes My Little Monster Complete Premium Bonus Set. There's definitely more from NISA I'd like to have but I've got all the ones I'd be kicking myself if I had missed out on (EXCEPT for Katanagatari. Really mad at myself for procrastinating on getting that one).
    Avatar: Sena Kashiwazaki from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai/Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends
    Currently Watching: Bakemonogatari, Beyond the Boundary
    My anime collection: http://doctordoom85.filmaf.com/owned/anime
    My figure collection: http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Doom85

Comment

My NIS America collection

Bunny Drop PE
      Hanasaku Iroha PE (including Home Sweet Home PE)
      A Lull in the Sea PE
      Toradora (initial sub-only and bilingual) PE
      The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura PE
      Yuruyuri S1-S2 PE

Doesn't look like I ever got a regular edition from NISA. The series I did collect tended to be ones where I really coveted the PE treatment anyway, and very happy with what I got (especially with Toradora and Lull in the Sea getting top-notch dubs on top of it all). There are some NISA releases that were tempting over the years, though the only thing I sort of regret missing out on is Anohana. I've wanted Cardcaptor Sakura on BD (and may yet get it: I did double dip for the first movie from Discotek) though the not very appealing premium features and downgrade of a translation from Pioneer's release put me off slightly.

Comment

I have to admit, NISA releases made me more inspired to collect anime. I think they were the ones that made me into a anime collecting freak who only buys premium, limited editions. Their releases were also so nice. My first purchase was Arakawa Under the Bridge because I saw it going out of print. I bought it from RACS. They sent me a damaged vol.1 but gave me some credit because it was OoP. I think I wanted to buy it because I heard it was good. It was a blind buy. The packaging blew my expectations and made me want to buy and collect all of the NISA releases. I can't stand buying the barebone standard editions and only wanted to collect the premium editions... I think it was because Anohana was OoP and I couldn't find it in retail price is why I jumped the gun on AuB. I'm satisfied because I wasn't able to find a brand new vol 1 of it after I bought it so I felt good. But I regret not buying Anohana. It came out when I was starting to collect it. But I didn't know it would go OoP so fast.

Premium editions I Own:
        Arakawa Under the Bridge
        Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge
        Brave 10
        Daily Lives of High School Boys
        Encrentric Family
        Everyday Tales of a Cat God
        Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress (Won this for free from the one and only FANDOM POST! :D)
        Ground Control to Pyschoelectric Girl
        Hanasaku Iroha Vol.1
        Hanasaku Iroha Vol. 2
        Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home
        Katanagatari Vol.1
        Katanagatari Vol. 2
        2x Love Live! <-- HUGE Love Liver... So Buy one to open, buy one to display along with the other LL! sets
        3x Love Live Season 2 <-Rightstuf unfortunatly sent a damaged one but I forgot/lazy to return it. Bought one from Collectors Anime! after the dude was posting about it here once and was happy it was in perfect condition. Righstuf sent me a damaged damaged damaged LL2 set. Something I've never seen them do before. It was surprising and disappointing... Poor QC check... I haven't bought from them in a while. But this isn't the reason but partially. But mostly is I'm Too poor...
        2x Love Live The School Idol Movie
        Natsume Book of Friends S1+S2
        Natsume Book of Friends S3
        Natsume Book of Friends S4
        Nyaruko-san S1 (Won this for free from Crunchyroll! Sailorbee still owes me a year of Crunchyroll )
        Princess and the Pilot the move
        Persona -trinity soul- vol. 1
        Persona -trinity soul- vol. 2
        Pandora Hearts vol. 1
        Pandora Hearts vol. 2
        Toradora! (Eng Dub)
        Umineko vol.1
        Umineko vol.2
        Working!
        Working!! season 2
        Yuruyuri ♩ Vol. 1
        YuriYuri ♩♩ vol.2
        Zakuro

Standard Editions:
        Love Live s1 (w/dub)

Regret To Buy:
        Anohana!!!
        USAGAI-Drop!!
        Kimi ni Todoke!!!

Wish to buy:
        House of Five Leaves
        Ghastly-kun?
        Occulut Academy
        Fox Deity?

Need to Still buy:
        Tonari no Kaibutsun-kun
        If Her Flag Breaks
        Chronicles of Going Home Club
        Nyaruko-san S2
        Nagi no Asukara (I wish I bought this sooner but have to wait til I save up. I thought I'd preorder it and bought it as it was first release but since Toradora isn't oop... I'm gonna wait until last minute due to price)
        Cardcapter Sakura (too expensive... so if it goes oop and I have money, then I'll buy it...)
        The Pilots Love Song
        Kotorua-san
        Genshiken 2nd Gen
        Last edited by lolitsronald; 07-08-2016, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Alot like lolitsronald above NIS actually are one of the main reasons I ended up collecting as much as I have. I have all* the NIS releases, I didn't actually intend that to be the case but after awhile I realized that at one stage I actually only needed about 2 or 3 releases to have all that was currently out. Such was the quality of titles and titles of interest to me that I had collected almost everything they had released anyway so I thought why not get them all? This was like way back in 2011/12 sometime. The sets were beautiful and I really enjoyed how they looked and all the great books that came with each set also. So eventually I made getting every NIS premium edition my goal and once caught up I could just pre order each set as and when.

Ironically though it appears that NIS essentially leaving the Anime industry has been what was needed for me to truly catch up and now that I have there is nothing to pre order

Anyway here is the Complete list and a Photo.

Anohana The Flower We Saw That Day PE
          Arakawa Under The Bridge PE
          Arakawa Under The Bridge x Bridge PE
          Brave 10 PE
          Bunny Drop PE
          Cardcaptor Sakura PE
          Daily Lives of High School Boys PE
          Eccentric Family PE
          Everyday Tales of a Cat God PE
          Fuse Memoirs of a Huntress PE
          Genshiken Second Generation PE
          Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up PE
          Ground Control To Psychoelectric Girl PE
          Hanasaku Iroha Part 1 PE
          Hanasaku Iroha Part 2 PE
          Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home PE
          House of Five Leaves PE
          Katanagatari Part 1 PE
          Katanagatari Part 2 PE
          Kimi Ni Todoke Part 1 PE
          Kimi Ni Todoke Part 2 PE
          Kimi Ni Todoke Part 3 PE
          Love Live School Idol Project Season 1 PE
          Love Live School Idol Project Season 2 PE
          Love Live School Idol Movie PE
          Lull in the Sea PE
          My Little Monster PE
          Natsume's Book of Friends Season 1 and 2 PE
          Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 PE
          Natsume's Book of Friends Season 4 PE
          Nyaruko Crawling With Love Season 1 PE
          Nyaruko Crawling With Love Season 2 PE
          Occult Academy PE
          Our Home Fox Deity Part 1 PE
          Our Home Fox Deity Part 2 PE
          Pandora Hearts Part 1 PE
          Pandora Hearts Part 2 PE (Only set I had to pay collector's prices for as it was already OOP back in 2012 or something. Paid $90 for it from RACS Amazon Store)
          Persona Trinity Soul Part 1 PE
          Persona Trinity Soul Part 2 PE
          The Pilot's Love Song PE
          The Princess and The Pilot PE
          Toradora Part One PE
          Toradora Part Two PE
          Toradora BD+Dub PE
          Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura PE
          Umineko When They Cry Part 1 PE
          Umineko When They Cry Part 2 PE
          Wagnaria!! Season 1 PE
          Wagnaria!! Season 2 PE
          Yuruyuri Season 1 PE
          Yuruyuri Season 2 PE
          Zakuro PE

On Order -
          Chronicles of the Going Home Club PE (Saved for last since I don't like this series so I'm buying it solely for completion's sake)
          If Her Flag Breaks PE

To Buy - Love Live School Idol Project Season 1 Standard Edition (For the Dub)

As you can well imagine I'm pretty disappointed NIS have moved away from Anime releases. Even with as competitive as the market has become I still believe that NIS could have carved out it's own niche much like Discotek have done. Shows like Library Wars would have been good fits for NIS, so titles were still out there for them to get and still are most likely. I could list a bunch of series I as a dedicated fan believe would have fitted nicely into the NIS library, titles that are still unlicensed (unless Crunchyroll has them I guess).

In the end all I can say is Thanks NIS! Thanks for all the wonderful series you brought over and the beautiful sets you packaged them in. So many hours of brilliant entertainment. :D
          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

Katanagatari V1 PE
            Katanagatari V2 PE
            Cardcaptor Sakura PE
            Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl PE
            Love Live! Season 1 PE
            Love Live! Season 2 PE
            Love Live! The School Idol Movie PE
            Arakawa Under the Bridge Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD Standard Edition
            Arakawa Under the Bridge Season 2 Blu-ray

My only regret was not being in the game early enough to get the Arakawa S1 PE. Because I missed that I just couldn't bring myself to only buy the S2 PE.I'm really happy I got both Katanagatari volumes though. I had to get it from NISA's store.
            I'll have to get Toradora one of these days too.

I'm also really thankful that CCS got a BD release thanks to them. It's something i'll always be happy that happened.

Comment

Toradora Premium Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo
              A Lull in the Sea Premium Edition Blu-ray
              Love Live Season 1 Standard Edition Blu-ray

I plan on getting:
              Love Live Season 2 Standard Edition Blu-ray
              Love Live Movie Standard Edition Blu-ray
              "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

Premium Editions:
                Occult Academy Blu-ray
                Natsume's Book of Friends Seasons 1 & 2 DVD
                Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 Blu-ray/DVD
                Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 Blu-ray/DVD
                Everyday Tales of a Cat God Blu-ray
                The Princess and the Pilot Blu-ray
                The Pilot's Love Song Blu-ray
                Toradora Blu-ray

I also had the standard edition sub-only sets of Toradora at one point but sold them when I got the Blu-ray set. I still need to get the Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray PE. I've always liked NIS America's premium editions compared to all of the other companies collector's editions (I hate the post cards/art cards that Aniplex and Funimation include, I think they are useless as an extra). Their sets were affordable and very nice with chipboard art boxes. I especially like the books that their sets come with with the interviews, episode summaries, and other info in them. I know some people didn't like the big long premium edition boxes they used in most of their sets but I thought they were great and very nice (Natsume's Book of Friends in particular had a nice texture/feel to it and I thought looked amazing). It's too bad they probably won't be releasing anything else.
                Last edited by Felis; 07-08-2016, 07:50 AM.

Comment

These are all of the NISA titles I own:

Anohana The Flower We Saw That Day PE
                  Brave 10 PE
                  Bunny Drop PE
                  Fuse Memoirs of a Huntress PE
                  Ground Control to Pyschoelectric Girl PE
                  Hanasaku Iroha Part 1 PE
                  Hanasaku Iroha Part 2 PE
                  Hanasaku Iroha Home Sweet Home PE
                  House of Five Leaves DVD PE
                  Lull in the Sea PE
                  My Little Monster PE
                  The Pilot's Love Song PE
                  The Princess and The Pilot PE
                  Toradora PE
                  Umineko When They Cry Part 1 PE
                  Umineko When They Cry Part 2 PE
                  Zakuro PE

I don't have so many NISA titles because the majority of their titles are types of anime I am not interested in - too many cutesy comedy series. I don't even plan to keep the Hanasaku Iroha and Psychoelectric Girl titles, they didn't thrill me at all.
                  Last edited by t-Roy; 07-08-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Honestly, NIS America's selection of anime did mostly nothing for me, which I guess just shows how much of an oddball outlier I am when it comes to anime fandom tastes; even a "niche"-focused company like NISA didn't seem to attract me. That being said, though, I do have two releases from the company. I bought NISA's standard edition release of House of Five Leaves for cheap when it was on sale at Right Stuf a few years back, and I have the premium edition release for Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up, as that was the only anime NISA licensed that I actually made me really interested.

In no way would I say that NIS America's venture into anime was a failure, since the company did pick up a good number of titles that had good fanbases & even went back to dub Toradora, but I think it is just too crowded of an industry now, with most companies finding the places where they each fit in perfectly. NISA came in at a good time to fill in a niche that had been left empty with the loss of CPM, Geneon, & Bandai, but now the company's focus has been taken up by other companies.
                    Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                    Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Here is my collection:

Anohana PE
                      Arakawa Under the Bridge PE
                      Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge PE
                      Bunny Drop PE
                      Genshiken: Second Generation PE
                      Hanasaku Iroha vol. 1 PE
                      Hanasaku Iroha vol. 2 PE
                      Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home PE
                      Toradora (bilingual BD/DVD version) PE

Arakawa was the first NISA purchase I made as it was on the bargain shelf during the Right Stuf holiday sales, while I got HanaIro during the only NISA sale back in 2014. I got Anohana and Bunny Drop shortly before they sold out, while I preordered Toradora and Genshiken to get their bonus items.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
                      Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
                      Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

I only ended up buying the Cardcaptor Sakura Premium Blu-ray set from them.
                        Avatar: Hibiki from Senki Zesshou Symphogear made by Momoka Kibi

Comment

Bunny Drop Standard Edition BD+DVD
                          Cardcaptor Sakura Premium Edition BD
                          Daily Lives of High School Boys Standard Edition BD
                          The Eccentric Family Premium Edition BD
                          Yuruyuri Season One Premium Edition BD
                          Yuruyuri Season Two Premium Edition BD

They were one of my favorite companies working in the industry. It's really a pity that they're moving away from the anime market.

Comment

Here's my small selection of titles I have from them:

-A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray
                            -My Little Monster Complete Premium Edition Blu-ray
                            -Toradora! Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray/DVD

I wasn't a fan of their longboxes so didn't get any NISA titles till they switched over to upright artboxes. Kimi ni Todoke, Bunny Drop, and Anohana I was hoping they'd rerelease with a dub like they did Toradora. Seeing that's apparenly never happening now, I'll have to consider getting the standard editions down the road (though they look pretty barebones and pricey so dunno).
                            My Anime List
                            Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

They had a good run I got everything I've wanted from them (although sometimes I do eye Eccentric Family...) and I'm happy with the sets, as there are so many hidden gems!

-Cardcaptor Sakura blu ray set
                              -Katanagatari PE 1-2
                              -Natsume's Book of Friends PE 1-3
                              -Our Home's Fox Deity PE 1-2
                              -Persona: Trinity Soul PE 1-2
                              -Umineko: When They Cry PE 1-2
                              -Zakuro PE

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse