Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Funimation licenses Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Widgets Magazine
    16:38:00 <bay|AX|ProductionIG> Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence licensed by FUnimation

Re: Funimation licenses Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocense

Hopefully they will license Stand ALone Complex next.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
      16:38:00 <bay|AX|ProductionIG> Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence licensed by FUnimation
      I have to wonder if they can have both the Manga UK dub as well as the Bandai dub? Different take on the same dialogue, though it would be nice to hear the dub script that Richard Epcar seemed to like better.

C.T.
      You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyMessiah View Post
        What is the license on that? IIRC, Manga Entertainment/Starz/Lionsgate (Soon.) actually had the license for SAC.

C.T.
        You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Re: Funimation licenses Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Manga Entertainment IIRC was also on the production committee for both seasons of SAC.
          Anime DVD/BD Easter Egg Index | MAL | Anime-Planet | Anime BDs | Anime DVDs | Manga | MFC

Comment

My guess is that it will be released around the same time as the live-action movie to ride on its buzz, for good or for bad.

Comment

I hope so as I'm getting tired of waiting for this series to come out on BD. Don't get me wrong, I love the DVD tins and stuff I have, but I would like superior audio and video.

Comment

RE: Stand Alone Complex - Manga Entertainment has perpetual rights to both seasons (production committee), so that won't ever be in Funi's possession. As for Innocence, I'm wondering why Funi couldn't announce their acquisition at their own AX panel; was there some kind of NDA put in place with IG over this?
                My Collection: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...The-Collection
                My Reviews: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...060-My-Reviews
                Avatar: Waver Velvet (Fate/Zero)

Comment

Never say never. People have made statements that some company will never license something and then it has happened. Just because Manga owns the rights doesn't mean squatt, especially when they haven't done jack **** with the series in years. I don't see why Funimation couldn't get it from Manga and IG in a similar fasion to how Criterion gets movies from other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueAlexander93 View Post
                    RE: Stand Alone Complex - Manga Entertainment has perpetual rights to both seasons (production committee), so that won't ever be in Funi's possession. As for Innocence, I'm wondering why Funi couldn't announce their acquisition at their own AX panel; was there some kind of NDA put in place with IG over this?
                    As long as they exist, that is. Otherwise, should they go defunct (which is likely given that they have not done anything in years), those rights will just revert to the JP companies (like Paranoia Agent, which Geneon USA was involved in the production committee)

Comment

Originally posted by Razzamatazz Buckshank View Post
                      Originally posted by BlueAlexander93 View Post
                      As long as they exist, that is. Otherwise, should they go defunct (which is likely given that they have not done anything in years), those rights will just revert to the JP companies (like Paranoia Agent, which Geneon USA was involved in the production committee)
                      Except that Manga Entertainment has been a label and maybe an office of Anchor Bay and Starz for years, and now will be a label of Lionsgate. So any rights or licenses that Manga Entertainment 'owns' actually comes under their current owner. As long as Lionsgate decides to hold onto the rights, they get to choose. If they choose that FUNimation will not get the rights, FUNimation will not get the rights.

Never say never. People have made statements that some company will never license something and then it has happened. Just because Manga owns the rights doesn't mean squatt, especially when they haven't done jack **** with the series in years. I don't see why Funimation couldn't get it from Manga and IG in a similar fasion to how Criterion gets movies from other companies.
                      Whether or not Manga Entertainment is nothing more than a mailing address means nothing regarding SAC, since it is their owners (Starz and soon to be Lionsgate.) that actually owns and decides on the disposition of the rights. A corporation that shells out $4.4 billion to acquire Starz is not going let FUNimation get the rights unless they decide that it benefits them.

C.T.

Comment

Your point?

It doesn't do them any good if they are just going to sit on the series and not do anything with it. Letting Funimation release it on BD means they get the money without any of the responsibility. Who cares who releases it as long as someone finally does!! I just can't believe every other country in the world has gotten this show on BD but us. You would think they would have been releasing a high profile series (and one of the greatest anime series ever made) like this on a yearly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
                          I have to wonder if they can have both the Manga UK dub as well as the Bandai dub? Different take on the same dialogue, though it would be nice to hear the dub script that Richard Epcar seemed to like better.
                          IIRC it was timed for PAL so would need to be slowed by 4% for 24fps on BD and goodness knows for NTSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
                            IIRC it was timed for PAL so would need to be slowed by 4% for 24fps on BD and goodness knows for NTSC.
                            Isn't that what happened with the Bandai releases? Both were included and there were some complaints over the Manga UK dub.

EDIT: Found an old review and judging by one of the comments, it looks like that's exactly what happened.
                            Last edited by NJ_; 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM.
                            Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                              Originally posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
                              Isn't that what happened with the Bandai releases? Both were included and there were some complaints over the Manga UK dub.

EDIT: Found an old review and judging by one of the comments, it looks like that's exactly what happened.
                              It's a total shame too, because that disc is pretty nice otherwise. It's honestly not that hard to properly convert and pitch audio between frame rates, anyone with some Pro Tools experience could have fixed it. Heck, they make plug-ins that do it automatically for stuff like that now!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X