Widgets Magazine

Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

And now in less than a day it has already gotten to 1/5th of the way there. Nice job everyone, I'm sure their future projects will continue to be on Kickstarter! :D

Now let's push for the Blu-Ray! :D

Comment

Cliff Notes for the Pied Piper Inc. Kickstarter:
      • Skip Beat has moved to Kickstarter after a not quite successful attempt on Indiegogo
      • Time of EVE was the most satisfying success in CEO Ann Yamamoto's career
      • Wanted to do another project, but it took a while as licensors want a track record to even get your foot in the door
      • Time of EVE was enough of a benchmark
      • She initially looked at another show from TV Tokyo, "One that for various reasons is difficult to do right now" (Heroman? Sugar Sugar Rune?), but she saw Skip Beat in their back catalog
      • Skip Beat was held back because TV Tokyo demanded a guarantee of a dub with the license
      • Dub was estimated at $6-8k/episode, all 25 episodes of Skip Beat had to be guaranteed a dub upfront
      • She also looked at smaller scale titles and rescues
      • She came to the realization that if she didn't pick up Skip Beat, no one ever would, too challenging
      • She figures there's still enough of a fanbase to rally behind and get the job done
      • TV Tokyo has had several crowdfunding proposals presented to them in the past, but this was the first they took seriously
      • Seen as a risk because it's a shojo anime that requires a dub
      • Draw to Skip Beat in particular is strong, female protag who develops and grows on her terms
      • Everything put into the campaign is to make the release better, which is something she feels fans can get behind
      • The flexible funding option was why Indiegogo was initially chosen over Kickstarter
      • A lot of fans were uncomfortable with the Indiegogo platform, so Skip Beat was rebooted onto Kickstarter
      • Several things were removed from the initial campaign to bring the total cost down as much as possible, moved to stretch goals
      • A lot of great shows with a solid fanbase are too much of a risk to do right, so crowdfunding is a way to get the best possible release out
      • Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo has been pretty supportive
      • Ann Yamamoto has some capitol to cushion the campaign, but not the same deep pockets as Funimation
      • Over 14,000 reviews on Crunchyroll, nearly all of them 5-stars
      • The dub requirement is the major hurdle to releasing Skip Beat, the show would have likely been snapped up years ago if that wasn't there
      • All of the information on the Kickstarter in terms of interest will be on the table, absolute transparency
      • Skip Beat was one of Crunchyroll's early success stories, so they are looking at this campaign with great enthusiasm, great partners with Time of EVE
      • Partnering with RightStuf also great for Time of EVE, they're handling fulfillment for Skip Beat as well
      • Biggest lesson of crowdfunding: Understand and know the fanbase and mold the project to what they will support
      • Twitter Q&A Time
      • Q: If Skip Beats succeeds, what can we expect from Pied Piper in the future? Will all Pied Piper crowdfunding projects be dubbed? A: Dubs are best as a stretch goal, more Directions Inc. projects incoming and TV Tokyo has other interesting properties that need similar help as Skip Beat, other shows she's bid on and the committee is still reviewing. Ideally 3 projects a year from here on out
      • Q: Kaiji? A: "On my radar"
      • Elevator pitch for Skip Beat
      • Q: Are contractually obligated dubs more common than the average fan assumes? A: There is precedent, and shows have fallen on their dub-or-pass sword, but an estimate on just how common is hard to pin down
      • Q: If Skip Beat succeeds, anything of particular interest to crowdsource dub? A: There are some, but she can't say (bidding on them right now perhaps?)
      • Q: Any interest in working with the Time of EVE crew again? A: Of course
      Last edited by Rootsofjustice; 03-17-2016, 09:23 PM.

Comment

36K already and its only been half a day if even? As a dub/shoujo anime fan I'm really happy with how this campaign is looking so far as I was really worried with how little the Indiegogo campaign got but it seems like the change to KS really made the difference! I just hope we'll get some info on the stretch goals and what they'll be soonish and maybe some higher tiers to help!

Comment

As promised, I made my pledge. It's done a LOT better on kickstarter compared to what Indiegogo ever did. I have gotten several emails from different places promoting Skip Beat! so I'm hopeful it will at least make the initial goal since it looks like a lot of places are trying to help out. (Right Stuf, Escaflowne kickstarter, Robert).

Comment

Kaijii's on her radar!?!?!?!? HOLY S**T! Don't tease me, my heart can't handle it.
            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

From the latest update.

Link
              March 25th "25 for 25"!

Heads up: On Friday March 25th we're doing "25 for 25" push. This means that on March 25th, I'll ask you to increase your pledge by $25! This call out is to those of you are thinking about raising your pledge eventually - now is the time! We want to get that 50% milestone by this coming weekend! We just a little more than $10,000 away! Thank you @Jacqueline Ferez for the idea^^

So you want to know more about the $25 options, right? Next update will be all about merchandise!

Thank you for all of the great energy! We are in this to WIN!
              What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/859...erican-release

CURRENT PLEDGE LEVEL $68,346
                44% OF GOAL
                LAST UPDATED: 29 MINUTES AGO

TRENDING TOWARD $302,675
                195% OF GOAL
                TRENDS ARE NOT PROJECTIONS. READ MORE >>

Comment

I backed the project a few days ago. I went for the higher tier to get the chipboard artbox and other goodies. I also did the 25 for 25 deal, actually 35 because of the T-shirt swag lol. All I had to do was increase my current pledge by an additional 35 right? Never done Kickstarter pledges before.

Comment

Originally posted by Excelgenerations View Post
                    I backed the project a few days ago. I went for the higher tier to get the chipboard artbox and other goodies. I also did the 25 for 25 deal, actually 35 because of the T-shirt swag lol. All I had to do was increase my current pledge by an additional 35 right? Never done Kickstarter pledges before.
                    You might want to send an email to Pied Piper to let them/her know that's why you raised your pledge. When I have done DMP Kickstarters (in fact, backers are TOLD to send a message when doing add-ons with them), I have ALWAYS sent an email letting them know so that they could make a note on their records.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
                      Originally posted by Excelgenerations View Post
                      You might want to send an email to Pied Piper to let them/her know that's why you raised your pledge. When I have done DMP Kickstarters (in fact, backers are TOLD to send a message when doing add-ons with them), I have ALWAYS sent an email letting them know so that they could make a note on their records.
                      Thnx! I upped the pledge because of the 25 for 25 push thats coming up. It's a push for those already pledged to increase. I did more with 35 so I can get the t-shirt swag with it. I guess I should send an email out too to be safe. This will be so awesome if we get this campaign to succeed! I would really love to own this show with a cool collector's box and a dub as a cherry on top haha.

Comment

The latest update:

Update #3

$25 for March 25th!

Posted by Pied Piper, Inc. (Creator)

Dear Fellow Skip Beat Fan-atics!

We're doing a big push to get ourselves 50% funded by this weekend!
                        $25 for March 25th

Were you thinking about raising your pledge toward the end of the campaign? Now is the time! On March 25th, I invite you to raise your pledge by $25, or more^^! If we do this as a joint effort, we can make a HUGE jump towards our 50% funding goal! Thank you @Jacqueline Ferez for the inspiration!
                        Additional Rewards!

NEW REWARD! $300 reward: Official SkipBeat Jacket + Poster signed by the main English voice cast + $150 tier rewards (limited to 50)
                        $500 reward: 5 new slots (10 in total)
                        $900 reward: 2 new slots (3 in total)
                        $5,000 reward: 2 new slots (3 in total)

And, the $500+ tiers also get the poster signed by the main English voice cast!
                        Merchandise concepts!

First, let me say up front that all merchandise designs will need to be approved by Skip Beat's production committee. At this stage, I'd like to get your input into the basic concepts for the designs.

For me, the Love Me Section logo is the departure point for the merchandise designs (thank you Moran for these mockups!!)

http://s27.postimg.org/4c66sfvqr/image.png

Love Me Section logo Love Me Section logo

http://s12.postimg.org/diqot5tlp/image.png

Kyoko's Love Me Section Uniform Kyoko's Love Me Section Uniform

SATIN BASEBALL JACKET $300 tier and up

This jacket is exclusive to the Kickstarter campaign! I think the jacket has got to be all about the Love Me Section. Yeah? Nay? Please write your comments below!

http://s27.postimg.org/f0ej50v3n/image.png

Love Me Section jacket! Love Me Section jacket!

And here is the design I'm looking at using. Thoughts? Sizes are available in XS through 6X, and we will have a detailed sizing/measurement chart.

http://s8.postimg.org/v6zew9eat/image.png

Jacket design Jacket design

T-SHIRT $35 add-on

I think it would be cool to have a Love Me Section t-shirt as well:

http://s9.postimg.org/i00blz2cv/image.png

Love Me Section t-shirt!? Love Me Section t-shirt!?

Or, would you prefer a t-shirt with a character illustration, such as this one?

http://s11.postimg.org/xq08p2b5f/image.png

Character illustration for t-shirt design? Character illustration for t-shirt design?

I made a little survey - let me know which direction you prefer!

https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/N6C5X7C

SWAG SET $25 add-on

Embroidered patch - 3 inches diameter iron-on patch with the Love Me Section logo
                        Can badges - 1 1/4 inch pins (1) Love Me Section logo (2) Kyoko illustration
                        Stationery - Notepad inspired by Kyoko's Love Me Section notebook

Shout outs!

The Vision of Escaflowne is in their final stretch - just 6 days left! I hope they get a wave of support at the end!

And, I'm sure many of you are like me in backing 3 Kickstarters this month - our very own Skip Beat!, Escaflowne and also Riding Bean. I've backed all of Animeigo's projects and love Robert Woodhead's attention to nitty-gritty detail, and of course his biting wit. Riding Bean has 12 days left, and is tantalizingly close to busting through the next stretch goal @ $110K. Let's all root for Riding Bean!

Folks, revenge has never tasted so sweet! Let's make Skip Beat happen!

Ann
                        Last edited by Anime_Otaku35; 03-24-2016, 04:25 PM.
                        "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

With the new tiers, the pledging has exploded. Almost $82k as of this posting.

Comment

This is awesome so far! 22 days to go and we are at 82.5k with 600 backers on the dot. Wooooo!

Comment

Still needs another $100000 in my book to be successful. Hope it gets there

Comment

^^^ Yeah, if it's not going to make it all the way to the Blu-ray stretch level, I'll probably be dropping my pledge down to the $60 DVD level, or dropping out completely. I'm not paying $160 for a lame DVD set. I stopped buying DVDs over 8 years ago, when I went totally HD with all my equipment.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X