Widgets Magazine

Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Indiegogo)

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
    Ann from Pied Piper commented on the Crunchyroll News article on this and said that the dub was a condition of the license from TV Tokyo so if it doesn't get funded, there won't be a release.
    Huh, I wonder if that condition is because it's crowdfunded, or if that's something any prospective licensor would have had to do since the beginning. If the latter, it's easier to see why it has never been picked up before.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
      Ann from Pied Piper commented on the Crunchyroll News article on this and said that the dub was a condition of the license from TV Tokyo so if it doesn't get funded, there won't be a release.
      Huh, I wonder if that condition is because it's crowdfunded, or if that's something any prospective licensor would have had to do since the beginning. If the latter, it's easier to see why it has never been picked up before.
      I screencapped the comment and tweeted it here:
      https://twitter.com/abzeronow/status/700038828866732032

She said that "...TV Tokyo, the licensor, has always believed that Skip Beat! needs to reach the widest audience possible, and so the dub was a condition of the license."

Comment

This was sent earlier this evening...
        Welcome to the Skip Beat! Host Committee!

You are special. This email is going out to the select group who responded within the first 24 hours of the public announcement.

We have a battle ahead of us. To give Skip Beat! the North American release it deserves, we need 3,000 backers minimum to reach our $210,000 Indiegogo campaign goal. We've got 2 weeks until the campaign launch.

What's at stake? You are the first responders, so I'm going to level with you:
        • Skip Beat! has been in TV Tokyo's back catalog. Why? Because TV Tokyo has always believed that Skip Beat! deserves to reach the widest audience possible and required an English dub for the North America videogram (DVD and Blu-ray) license.
        • Dubbing 25 episodes can easily run to $200,000, or more. Clearly, other distributors decided not to go there. And, why? Maybe because shoujo titles are seen as risky?
        • I'm not here to criticize other distributors who passed on Skip Beat! Ultimately, it's a business decision. However, I love this title. And with the Time of EVE Kickstarter under my belt, I knew I was in a position to give Skip Beat! an official North America release.
        • But, this license needs to make business sense. Will Skip Beat!'s fan base support an English dub? I dug up all the metrics I could find, and estimated 3,000 core fans in North America for a potential of $210,000 funds raised. A pretty penny. But not nearly enough to fund localization costs including the dub.
        • I was ready to sadly say no to Skip Beat! when fate intervened. I met Mela Lee, voice actress and producer who also loves Skip Beat! She proposed taking on the dub with her stellar team -- Cristina Vee, Jason Charles Miller and Alexander Burke -- as a passion project, and then scaling up the dub through stretch goals.
        • With this power dub team as my partners, I know we can work magic with Skip Beat!
        • I know the fans are there for Skip Beat! The only questions are: Can we reach our fellow fans? Can we create a campaign that hits home?

We need your help. Here's what you can do:

(1) Please take a look at our Indiegogo campaign page and give us your feedback.

https://goo.gl/HOYZIL

Do we make a strong case? Ideas for improvement? How about the perks? Tell us what you think!
        Twitter @piedinc
        Facebook @piedinc
        email [email protected]

(2) Share the Coming Soon link!

https://goo.gl/Yv8gcf

[...]
        EDIT (info via Indiegogo subject to change):
        FAQs

What about subtitles and audio tracks?
        In addition to the English dub, we will have the original Japanese audio with full English subtitles, and song/sign subtitles to go with the English dub.

You will be able to turn off the subtitles for the DVD. But, on the Blu-ray the English subtitles will permanently display onscreen while the Japanese audio tracks are audible.

What if I don't live in the US or Canada?
        We can only ship rewards to the US and Canada. Please follow us on twitter or facebook to get updates on future available of the videogram release in other territories.

Will the DVD and Blu-ray be region coded?
        Yes, the DVD will be region R1. The Blu-ray will be Region Code A.

Will the rewards be available for purchase after the Indiegogo campaign?
        The DVD and Blu-ray will be available at a later date, but without the exclusive add-ons, perks and craziness from the campaign.

Why Indiegogo?
        I loved every minute of the Time of EVE campaign on Kickstarter. But, the funding goal for this campaign is much more ambitious, and I had to think hard about the "what if scenarios." As in, what if we come close to the $210,000 goal, but miss the mark? Indiegogo's flexible funding option takes the edge off that worry. Another factor was Cristina's great experience with the Skullgirl campaign, which gave me the confidence that yes, fans will support this project on Indiegogo.
        Last edited by WTK; 02-17-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
          Honestly thought Discotek would pick this up as they have done for other forgotten shoujo titles in recent memory. So as I understand it the Indiegogo is just to improve the dub and extras but the show will definitely be released either way?
          Ann from Pied Piper commented on the Crunchyroll News article on this and said that the dub was a condition of the license from TV Tokyo so if it doesn't get funded, there won't be a release. [Thinking that this will be Fixed Funding on Indiegogo rather than Flexible Funding]
          Just to add to this, the series was released with the respective language dub in France and Taiwan.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            So the latter it is indeed:

• Skip Beat! has been in TV Tokyo's back catalog. Why? Because TV Tokyo has always believed that Skip Beat! deserves to reach the widest audience possible and required an English dub for the North America videogram (DVD and Blu-ray) license.
            • Dubbing 25 episodes can easily run to $200,000, or more. Clearly, other distributors decided not to go there. And, why? Maybe because shoujo titles are seen as risky?
            Seeing the situation makes me want to support this even more. I'll need to save for other potential high priorities this year, so I can't plunk down too much, but the $100 reward is perfectly acceptable. Not sure if I'll go for the $150 one. Anything higher (that's listed so far) would definitely be too much for me to do.
            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

It's no wonder why it hasn't been picked up by one of the usual suspects as TV Tokyo would only allow it to be licensed if it had a dub, and given the marketability of this show that pretty much this show would warrant a sub-only release. It would definitely have been a sub-only release from Discotek and NIS America, very likely so for Sentai, and while it would have received a dub for sure from Funimation had they picked it up back in the day, but now there's a good chance it would be sub-only if they had released it today.

While I'm not exactly big on this show, I'll see what kind of rewards are being handed out for the contributors and decide how much, if any, I want to chip in. Money is pretty tight seeing that anime is costing more these days.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
              Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
              Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/piedinc/posts/1142372152463792
                We are 6 days away from launching the Indiegogo campaign, and I am nervous as hell. Have we created a campaign that fans can believe in? I'll be doing a Q&A soon with the amazing Skip Beat group and am so looking forward to feedback on the campaign!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/2211763929/

Comment

And they're live (and I'm in with my contribution): https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...orth-america#/
                  David
                  Magical Girl Worshippers Unlimited - Dedicated to love, justice, frilly outfits, stunning transformations, cute talking furry mascots, and happy endings for all! | Avatar: Urara of Seraphim Call | My other addiction

Comment

I hope this gets funded so I can buy it eventually, always bugs me when they refuse international buyers from these things. I get the licenses stuff but still it bugs me it has to be that way.
                    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

I'm in for the $150 tier. I love this show, so I really hope this campaign is a success.
                      "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

While it's not a show that I'm into, I might back it just because I want to make it happen for the English VA's. If anything, I'll probably just do a token Street Team pledge seeing that my wallet is in a flux with so many other things I need to use my money for these days.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
                        Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
                        Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Well lets just hope Funimation out of nowhere Kickstarter doesn't affect this crowdfunding as much seeing as this one had an announcement at least half a month in advance that it would begin on March 1st.
                          Last edited by strikezero00; 03-01-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by strikezero00 View Post
                            Well lets just hope Funimation out of nowhere Kickstarter doesn't affect this crowdfunding as much seeing as this one had an announcement at least half a month in advance that it would begin on March 1st.
                            It has made over $5000 in slightly more than 2 hours. I can see some overlap as some people have funded both, but the indiegogo is off to a good start. Average pledge is over $100, the $150 tier is the most popular one.

Also, Ann Yamamoto in a comment confirms the BD will be an upscale. Justin Sevakis is handling that though so it should be a great upscale.

Comment

I hope that the $150 tier becomes available at retail otherwise I will regret not helping at this point.

Comment

Average pledge is over $100, the $150 tier is the most popular one.
                                Right now, it doesn't look like anyone has claimed the $100 tier. I probably won't get to contribute until later in the month nearer my birthday, but I'm contemplating the $150 tier. I definitely won't be going lower than $100.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X