Widgets Magazine

Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Daily Log: May 3, 2016

I *love* reading everything on this board!!!

All of your product ideas are going into my "Skip Beat - Merchandise" file in evernote (alongside "Skip Beat - Hollywood Casting"^^). Especially the links to the Japanese furoku items - tbh I didn't know about these, and it shows again the power of having 1,665 (incl our Paypal backers) brains on board.

For the Time of EVE Kickstarter, I was able to get access to the official merch that was produced for the Japanese market. But, I think that was a pretty unique situation.

For Skip Beat, I'm producing the merchandise from scratch. So, I need to coordinate among 3 parties: (1) Skip Beat production committee for approvals, (2) Manufacturer for product specs, pricing, and minimum quantities, and (3) YOU!!!

I'm taking all of your ideas, and seeing what I can execute in terms of manufacturing and production committee approvals. I'll always do my best to make you part of the process!
    Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13223479

Comment

Daily Log: May 4, 2016

Daily update on something *completely* different!*
      I put together the master excel file with all of the elements for the Blu-ray and DVD sets; this will be the bible for the manufacturer and the designer. I'll post it in an update (soon!).

And this makes me think fondly back to Time of EVE, when I was a complete newbie at manufacturing and design. Now I know that for the designer to get started, s/he needs the templates from the manufacturer. Which means that all of the specs (page count for the art book, dimensions of the True Love Backer Certificate) have to be decided. And that means that everything has to be budgeted out.

This time around, I know where to start!
      Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13233428

Comment

Daily Log: May 10, 2016

Getting underway with the DVD/Blu-ray package design this week! I had a *long* conversation with Joe, who is our account rep at the DVD/BD manufacturer; he went the extra mile to understand the exact configurations of the four packages (Daruma-ya DVD, Daruma-ya Blu-ray, Kyoko's Classic, and Kyoko's Revenge). Next step is to get the template for each component, so our package designer Gary Swarer can get started with mockups. I'll give both Joe and Gary a proper introduction in an update! They are both aces!
        Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13308878

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1559046

Skip Beat - Bonus material, marathon mode, and ADR script!

Dear Backers,

This update is a long time in the making...

We are all here to make Skip Beat! shine! Your support gave this project $41,628.84 (including Paypal pledges) beyond the $185K Blu-ray stretch goal. WOW!!! I am allocating about 30% or $12,500, toward stretch goals (the other 70% covers reward production & shipping, licensing fees, credit card/platform fees and taxes).

What are these stretch goals?! That's what this update is all about!

Stretch Goal #1 - Bonus Materials!

At the close of the Kickstarter, we were looking at the options of including Behind the Scenes and Blooper videos on the Blu-ray and DVDs. But, I think we got something even better:

TV TOKYO revisited their video archives for us and tracked down clean versions (i.e. no Japanese credits) of the "next episode" previews, along with the clean Openings and Endings.

We have room for 20 minutes of additional material on the DVDs and Blu-rays, and we've now reached the limit:

Clean OP/ED/Previews - 15 min 35 sec
          • "Dream Star" Opening (Ep #1-19) - 1 min 30 sec
          • "Renaissance" Opening (Ep #20-25) - 1 min 30 sec
          • "Namida" Ending (Ep #1-19) - 1 min 30 sec
          • "Eien" Ending (Ep #20-25) - 1 min 30 sec
          • additional next episode previews (Ep #2-19, #21-25) - 25 sec * 23 episodes = 9 min 35 sec

English localization credit roll - approx. 4 min
          • Japanese cast and staff in English
          • English dub cast and staff
          • Kickstarter backer credits for ADR script prep and subtitle proofreading
          • All other localization credits - package design, manufacturing, etc.

But...what about the Behind the Scenes and Blooper bonus videos?
          • We will still be producing Behind the Scenes videos about the dub as part of the backer updates (for the $15+ tiers), but that material won't make it onto the discs.
          • As some of you pointed out, we'll already have the materials for a potential blooper reel, and it is just an issue of pulling those juicy takes and editing them together. But, I don't have permission to offer that material in download format. I'll let you know if anything changes, but for now, the blooper reel is off the table.

I also want EVERYTHING for this release, but I hope you'll agree with me on prioritizing the clean OP/ED/next episode previews. Let me know what you think in the comments!

There is an additional cost of about $500 for including this material on the discs.

Stretch Goal #2 - Marathon Mode!

I've decided to go ahead and add Marathon Mode, which will let you skip the Opening and Ending on both DVD and Blu-ray. This feature is easy to implement for DVD with chapter markers. But, to quote Justin Sevakis, "For Blu-ray… NOTHING IS EASY!!! :D"

For Blu-ray, each episode needs to be split into 4 chunks:
          • Cold opening (unique to each episode)
          • Opening - Skipped during marathon mode
          • Parts A + B
          • Ending/Next episode preview - Skipped during marathon mode

This editing needs to be done for the video, subtitle tracks (full subtitles, and song & sign subtitles to use with the dub), and the dub audio files, and will cost $2,500 (previously I'd quoted $2,000, but I'd underestimated the cost of conforming the audio files).

Stretch Goal #3 - ADR Script Adaptation Upgrade!

Now, I want to introduce you to a brand-new stretch goal: ADR script adaptation upgrade.

As you all know from the last update, I was in a crunch to get the ADR scripts prepped. THANK YOU to everyone who offered to help, and for those of you who prepped scripts (you will all be credited!).

To be honest, I was feeling intense pressure because I hadn't allocated enough budget toward the script in my original budget. And, then it turned out that the script prep required even MORE work... YIKES!

Ultimately it is my responsibility to sure we stay on course for both quality, budget, AND schedule. And so, I decided to bite the bullet and allocate the remaining $9,500 toward the script:
          • Adequately funding the script adaptation, so I don't have to pinch corners elsewhere
          • Hiring timers to fully prep the scripts for the writing team. Thanks to the timers, the the time code on the scripts will accurately match the lip flaps. If we skimp on this step right now, it will slow down the dub recording in the studio, and also the dub editing. I'd tried to do the timing myself, but quickly discovered that it is highly technical work and requires experienced
            professionals.
          • Hiring additional writers so we can have multiple scripts in progress at the same time, with Deb Crane serving as the supervising writer.

It took some trial and error, but we our dub team is now humming away!!!

I hope you'll support this decision to allocate additional funds toward the script, but again, please let me know either way in the comments.

What do you think???

I was really looking forward to doing a vote to pick the stretch goals. So instead I’ve set up a survey where you can rate your satisfaction with this allocation of the additional funds. And of course, please leave comments at the end of this update!!!

LINK (see post)

Next Update - Subtitle honorifics

In the next 12 hours, I'll be sending a poll about honorifics in the subtitles - check out the comments page for pre-polling discussion!

Thank you ALWAYS for your support!!!

Ann

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1582326

Poll on Subtitles honorifics & name order!

Dear Backers,

Poll on subtitle honorifics & name order!

Do you want the subtitles to read "Mr. Sawara" or "Sawara-san"? "Tsuruga Ren" or "Ren Tsuruga"? Make yourself heard here! My plan is to go with the option that gets the most votes. Or, jello wrestling has been suggested. Please, just vote!

The poll will close on May 25th (Wed) midnight PST! You can see the results at the end of the poll!

LINK (see post)

In reply to your comments!

First, I really appreciate the support for allocating more funds to the ADR script. And, I know the decisions aren't going to please everyone. Marathon mode is great for some, but useless for others. For those of you who miss the bloopers and behind the scenes materials on disc...yes, I feel your pain.

But despite these bumps, THANK YOU for staying positive!

In response to some questions that came up:

With more funding, could we have an additional disc for the bloopers and dub Behind the Scenes videos? @Richard J. @Blair Mueller @Sakura Rubis @Adam @Nina Davis @Ammon @Jonathan Gaskin @Lauren Miller @Ransom @Bradley Neal @Marco Morelissen @Maura Werner @Raelynn Rupper @M. Alan Thomas II (sorry if I missed anyone else who voiced disappointment on the axed bloopers and Behind the Scenes bonus material!)

I'm going to put $10K as a rough estimate for producing an additional Blu-ray and DVD disc with Bloopers and Behind the Scenes videos (incl. editing for bloopers and additional Behind the Scenes materials; and, Blu-ray is expensive!) Would Skip Beat! fans be willing to fund that additional amount? Well, after the Kickstarter, I'd be crazy to say it's impossible! So, I will move the Bloopers and Behind the Scenes materials on disc from "off the table" to "back burner." First, we need a system in place for offering new rewards and raising additional funds. That is in the works, so please expect an update soon!

Could the discs include trailers for shows from other distributors? @Lincoln Mathews The biggest hurdle is that generally licenses are strictly for one company only, and I think there'd be considerable red tape to get permission (even for trailers).

What's going on with the merchandise? @Libby - Working on it! That's for another update!

Creditless OP/ED will play without obstruction of subtitles, correct? @James Gwinnell - Great question! Yes, for the DVD. For the Blu-ray, I am checking. Thanks for bringing this up.

It's not even possible to put the bloopers on YouTube? @Christopher Bolanos - I only have the rights for videogram (DVD/Blu-ray). The only streaming content I'm allowed to release is publicity materials, such as clips from the anime in the Kickstarter/Indiegogo pitch videos. Youtube is strictly off limits!

I thought OP/ED/Previews was already there. So why 20 minutes more of additional material for a clean OP/ED/Previews? @cybereye - I was already planning to put on the clean OP/ED, and figured I could use remaining 14 minutes for bonus materials/bloopers. Then, I got the 9.5 minutes of clean previews, and also decided we needed a proper English credit roll. So, 14 minutes got eaten up pretty quickly.

In closing, here are some examples of subtitles with and without Japanese honorifics.

I am VERY excited to see the poll results!!! THANK YOU!!! Ann

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/012...o=format&q=92& (or see post)

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1587582

Subtitle Poll Results + A Happy Mistake^^

Dear Backers,

Subtitle Poll Results!

I cleaned up the data (eliminated about 20 responses with duplicate IP addresses and many blanks) and came up with 759 responses on honorifics and 749 responses on name order.

Drum roll...

Q1: How do you want Japanese honorifics to be handled in the English subtitles?
              • I want the subtitles to use Japanese honorifics exactly as spoken in the Japanese dialogue.
              • I want the subtitles to use English honorifics as appropriate, and no Japanese honorifics.

- Japanese honorifics - 597 - 79%
              - English honorifics - 162 - 21%

The subtitles will use Japanese honorifics!

Q2: How do you want name order to be handled in the English subtitles?
              • I want the subtitles to use Japanese name order (Last Name First Name - the name order used in the Japanese dialogue), such as Tsuruga Ren, Kotonami Kanae, etc.
              • I want the subtitles to use Western name order (First Name Last Name), such as Ren Tsuruga, Kanae Kotonami, etc.

- Japanese name order - 435 - 58%
              - Western name order - 314 - 42%

The subtitles will use Japanese name order!

These both are lightning-rod topics that get to the core of how each of us relates to Skip Beat! and anime in general. I absolutely loved the thoughtful and spirited discussion - in fact, this discussion and poll are PRECISELY what I dreamed of when I licensed Skip Beat! Thank you everyone for the passion and intelligence that you bring to this release.

My Mistake = Good News!

After I sent out the last update, our authoring guru Justin Sevakis let me know that we can fit 45-50 minutes (in total) of additional materials on the DVD and Blu-rays! I misunderstood the spec restrictions. You all have my sincere apologies for this error. The bonus materials will go on discs #2 and #4 for the DVDs, and disc #3 of the Blu-rays.

I am going to need an additional $750 to $1,000 for editing and graphics on Behind the Scenes dub videos and Blooper Reel. Yes, the Behind the Scenes videos will be produced as part of the $15+ tier Kickstarter rewards, but I know we will need to do some tweaking for the disc versions. I feel optimistic that we can raise this additional funding, but the system for raising additional PayPal pledges won’t be in place for a bit longer (I need the work out the kinks in the system, to avoid MAJOR headaches down the line!) So, I’d like your blessing to earmark up to $1,000 for bonus feature production costs.

Please let me know what you think in the comments!

Closed caption subtitles?

In the comments, several people have asked about creating closed captioned subtitles for the dub. This is a painful decision, but I'm going to rule out additional subtitle tracks because of the schedule.

The dub is going to be in the works until the last minute, and will be the last item delivered to Justin Sevakis for authoring. Yes, the dub scripts will be done well in advance, but many lines have alternate versions and the final decisions will be made in the editing room.

My goal is to get ALL of the other materials to Justin well in advance, so he only has to drop in the dub audio at the very end. Closed captioned subtitles would mean pushing back the delivery date on the entire project. And I don't want to go there!

Can we give the option of using the full English subtitles with the dub? I just confirmed with Justin - the answer is YES! @rhubarb @Elysia Whipple @Wesley Miaw The English subtitles aren't going to match the dub for honorifics or name order (and don't expect correspondence on the lines!), but I hope this at least helps...

Will the subs shown in the screencaps in update #19 be the subs in the official release? @Adam - No! We are going to rework the subtitles! Please expect an update SOON about getting involved in the subtitle proofreading!

Since we're considering ideas, what would the cost be to add in the seiyuu interviews from the Japanese release to the extra disc? @Kristina - The biggest hurdle is obtaining the overseas rights from the agency for each seiyuu. I was able to clear the rights for seiyuu interviews on the Time of EVE: The Movie international release, but we have no guarantees that the rights can be cleared for Skip Beat! I only know for sure that it is expensive and time consuming. If we find ourselves flush with cash in July, we can revisit this possibility.

Creditless OP/ED will play without obstruction of subtitles, correct? Yes, for the DVD, and for the Blu-ray as well - I just got TV TOKYO's confirmation. @James Gwinnell Thank you again for bringing this up!

Are 3 BD50s really enough? @Troy Frey @Peter J. LaPrade Jr. - During the campaign you asked whether expanding the Blu-rays from 3 to 4 discs would boost the image quality. Justin’s assessment is that it wouldn’t make a meaningful impact given that we’re working with an upscale from the source material, so I think we're good with 3 Blu-ray discs.

As always, it is a HUGE honor to be able to channel our resources, passion and talents into this Skip Beat! release!

Thank you, and I look forward to your comments! Ann

Comment

Skip Beat! did a Backer-only update about interviews that will be done with Caitlin Glass, Cristina Vee, Mela Lee & Taliesin Jaffe in August and the questions will be from the backers,

Also web versions of the Backer's Wall and the Founder's Wall are now up.

Comment

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1640989

The latest update reveals that the DVD/BD release has been delayed from the original October release to a (tentative) January one.
                  My Anime List
                  Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Packaging preview: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1667920

Dear Backers,

Thank you everyone for your support regarding the delayed delivery date (pushed from October 2016 to Q1 2017 -- shooting for January -- in case you missed the last update)!!!!! You give us the freedom and inspiration to go for EXCELLENCE in all aspects of this release!!!

TV Tokyo has approved the case wrap design and disc faces below, but we won’t consider these to be final without your input.

We're working on the designs for the other package elements, including the slipcase ($100 tier) and chipboard case ($150 tier). Each element has to be custom designed, and the manufacturer is working hard to get the prototypes and templates from the printer.

[...]

FYI:
                    • The $60 tier DVD set will use a black DVD-size case; there will be no reverse printing on the case wrap.
                    • The $80 tier Blu-ray set will use a Blu-ray-size case.
                    • For the $100 and $150 tiers, the Blu-ray set and DVD set will be in separate cases (both cases will be Blu-ray size). The Blu-ray set will use the above case wrap w/ reverse side. The DVD set case will use a different case wrap design (also printed on both sides), design still TBA.

Comment

So not to be that girl, but I never understood how to upgrade to Blu once that tier hit and I've sent messages a few different ways and never heard back... Is or was there something obvious I missed?

Comment

Originally posted by IamBoogiepop View Post
                        So not to be that girl, but I never understood how to upgrade to Blu once that tier hit and I've sent messages a few different ways and never heard back... Is or was there something obvious I missed?
                        iirc, all $100/150 tiers were upgraded to combo packs once the BD stretch goal was reached. Also they added a $80 tier just for the BD.
                        My Anime List
                        Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Skip Beat! Behind the Scenes Teaser
                          Published on Sep 11, 2016
                          Get a tantalizing glimpse behind the scenes for the Skip Beat English dub. Funded by Skip Beat's inspiring and passionate fans on Kickstarter!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/piedinc/posts/1296817383685934
                            We are proud to announce that Skip Beat is now on Backerkit! If you missed the Kickstarter campaign, this is your chance to support the English dub production and get access to exclusive pre-sale rewards! https://skipbeat.backerkit.com

Comment

Slacker Backers can order here
                              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

So how do you upgrade your current pledge via Backerkit?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X