Widgets Magazine

Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Nice to see my city be in the top 10!

Surveys can now be filled in to determine your reward details, including where you want it to be sent. Log in to KS and visit the Skip Beat page. You should be prompted to fill out the survey.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian View Post
      Nice to see my city be in the top 10!

Surveys can now be filled in to determine your reward details, including where you want it to be sent. Log in to KS and visit the Skip Beat page. You should be prompted to fill out the survey.
      Well not in one of the top 10 cities, but I guess being in the top 2 states is just as good.
      My Anime List
      Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

I was caught up at work for a the last few weeks. Can I still pledge to buy a Blu ray set?
        Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
        Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
        Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie View Post
          I was caught up at work for a the last few weeks. Can I still pledge to buy a Blu ray set?
          It sounds like they are still taking PayPal pledges, though someone who has not been preoccupied with other things will have to confirm that.

C.T.
          You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
            Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie View Post
            It sounds like they are still taking PayPal pledges, though someone who has not been preoccupied with other things will have to confirm that.

C.T.
            Yup, you can indeed still pledge with PayPal. The PayPal link is up on their Kickstarter page.

NOW ACCEPTING PLEDGES VIA PAYPAL:
            • Please enter your donation amount (include shipping!)
            • In the message box, please tell me your reward tier and add-ons, and if you are in Canada or the US
            • I'll post the amount of pledges here >> $1,175 so far!!!
            My Anime List
            Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

No surprise that LA is on top here, but the rest of the list is somewhat surprising seeing that Austin had more backers than Dallas or Houston. And above all, none of the cities along the BosWash region made it seeing that it is the most populated area in the country, while New York and DC are big hotbeds for anime fandom.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
              Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Where do these stats come from?
                @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Originally posted by Asrialys View Post
                  Where do these stats come from?
                  on the 'community' tab of the Kickstarter page.

Comment

Here's a daily log update, courtesy of Ann, from the comments section of Kickstarter.

- For the dub, our #1 priority is the ADR script. I'm prepping the ADR script for Deborah, who is generously teaching me the nuts and bolts. I am so excited to share all of this with you in the updates!*

- I had a great exchange with TV Tokyo

- they were on the edges of their seats during the final days of the campaign, just like the rest of us, and are so grateful to all of the fans who have supported Skip Beat. I'll be posting more in the next update!*

- And I also had a really great conversation with Mela Lee about the overall production of the dub. We have a great creative team united by our passion for Skip Beat. We can only pull this off because you believe in us - thank you!!!*

- For the merchandise, the most complicated item by far is the jacket, because we will have that manufactured in China. I am going to get jamming on the approvals process tonight!

I'll put together an update for everyone by the end of this week!!!*

Thank you!!!!
                    Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13062330

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                      No surprise that LA is on top here, but the rest of the list is somewhat surprising seeing that Austin had more backers than Dallas or Houston. And above all, none of the cities along the BosWash region made it seeing that it is the most populated area in the country, while New York and DC are big hotbeds for anime fandom.
                      But did they know about the Kickstarter? Every campaign I've followed, no matter how well advertised, or how well-known the creator, always seems to catch large swaths of people by surprise. I've pledged on multiple Kickstarters from Onyx Path, for example, and after every single one, people flood their forums with "I Missed the Campaign - Can I Still Pledge" posts. Even people whom I know pledged on prior ones, and would have been hard pressed to miss the announcements.

Its also possible that the Boston-DC contributions were just too balkanized to break into the Top Ten. From what I've seen, Kickstarter determines geographic location by how your ISP characterizes their local hub. So its possible that the NYC backers were broken up into "Brooklyn" or "Harlem" or "Tribecca" blocks, rather than listed as New York City. Also keep in mind that we have no idea of the relative sizes of the backer pledges - a $1 "keep me posted" pledge is worth just as much as $5,000 "even the kitchen sink" pledge, which can warp the apparent level of support.

As for the actual list? Most of the entries make sense to me. Seattle, for example, has a very active base of Kickstarter veterans who back most of the more geek-tacular projects. Actually, its rare not to see them in the Top Ten on an RPG, or video game, campaign. And Austin was one of the top three for the Escaflowne Kickstarter - where Funimation was kind enough to promote the Skip Beat campaign. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that its the same people at all.

Minneapolis, though, throws me a bit. Not sure I've ever seen them break the Top Ten before . . . Anyone know if the Twin Cities are a big anime town?
                      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

TV Tokyo Thank You Message!

Dear Backers,

We've had just a little over a week to savor VICTORY!

I'd wanted to give you a big update including stretch goals, add-ons and the dub, but I need a few more days to work on the budget.

In the meantime, I can't delay this message any longer, so here it is.

TV TOKYO Thank You Message

At TV TOKYO, we are delighted to see fans give Skip Beat! the support it needs. We always thought that Skip Beat! deserved a dub, as we believe there are audiences that have yet to discover this title.*We want to thank all of the fans for helping to make it a reality. We were watching the campaign closely and were amazed by the surge of fan support, especially at the very end.

-*Hiroaki Saiki, TV TOKYO's Head of Global Distribution

Have no doubt in your mind. TV TOKYO was on the edge of their seat during the entire campaign.*

And, Saiki-san's message means the world to me. Let me try to explain why.

It's a cliche, but true. Business in Japan is ultimately built upon personal relationships. It starts with trust.

At my very first meeting at TV Tokyo in October, I got a big boost. Saiki-san immediately recognized*Time of EVE*- it was one of the first officially licensed titles to stream on Crunchyroll, right alongside*Skip Beat!*

And, he appreciated what the*Time of EVEKickstarter campaign had accomplished. The quality of the release was only possible because of fan support.

Then, I gave him my pitch. I could rally fans behind*Skip Beat!*to fund the required dub. And, it wouldn't be just any dub. It would be a first-class dub to that would make*Skip Beat!fans proud.*Saiki-san got the production committee to trust me with*Skip Beat!, their baby, so to speak.

When the Indiegogo campaign faltered, I had what was easily one of the toughest exchanges in my life: I had to tell Saiki-san that I'd made mistakes with the launch, and that the campaign was tougher than I'd expected. I told him I had one more shot to get it right with a relaunch on Kickstarter.

He told me: Make it happen.

You all made it happen. I put*Skip Beat!*on the line, and it is YOU who came to the rescue and made this campaign a success.

THANK YOU!!!!

And, I can't help but smile at the thought that Saiki-san was amazed at the grand finale at the very end, just like everyone else.

Again, YOU are AMAZING!!!

More to come! Ann

PS: In the comments section, I'm posting a daily log on my actions. This campaign is a marathon, and I welcome your company! And you can join in a lively discussion on the manga, other campaigns in progress, and much more!
                        There was a second update after that where Ann reached out to Backers to help with ADR Script Prepping. Backers who help with this will be credited with ADR Script Prep. Since Ann chose to make that update for Backers only, I'll refrain from sharing the exact details of that update to ensure the actual Backers can participate in that. But I'm pretty sure the first update is fine to share.

Comment

Daily Log: April 26, 2016

Thank you everyone for the amazing response for helping with ADR scrip prep!

Now, I need a system for organizing my communication with backers, and keeping track of who did what; this means I need to get Robert Woodhead's Backersupport app up and running. I've done all the basic configuration, and at this very moment I'm important the 1600+ backer records.

Whoopeee!!!

Then I'll be ready to contact individual backers regarding the ADR script adaptation! Whew!

And, I will also be able to finish my number crunching for the budget, since I will know exactly who has ordered what.

One step at a time!!!
                          Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13144939

Comment

Daily Log: May 1, 2016

Coming up for air.

I'm compiling all of the add-ons that everyone ordered so I can update the budget. And I want to share a quick note about something that's really cool:

At the close of the campaign, we had 1,646 backers.*
                            But, there is always attrition, for any campaign. Some people's credit cards don't work, or they drop out after the campaign closes. So you never actually get 100% participation.

How many people did we lose?

SIX!!!

That's something like 0.4% attrition!!!

Then, we got an additional 25 backers via Paypal before the campaign closed, so total 1,665 backers!

WOW!!! I am amazed and humbled all over again!!!!
                            Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mment-13196861

Comment

Given the late surge of backers, I say that there's more than enough money to cover the loss of six backers even without the support of the 25 extra backers through Paypal.
                              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                              Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                              Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                                Given the late surge of backers, I say that there's more than enough money to cover the loss of six backers even without the support of the 25 extra backers through Paypal.
                                Depends. If any of those 6 backers were one (or more) of the 5,000$ tier backers, I doubt it.

Either way, she still brought in a lot of money overall and should be good to go.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X