Widgets Magazine

Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pied Piper, Inc. licenses Skip Beat! (dub crowdfunding via Kickstarter)

Originally posted by IamBoogiepop View Post
    Are the Blus an add on once they're unlocked? Sorry - haven't been paying close attention!
    The $100 and $150 tiers will automatically be upgraded to DVD/Blu-ray combo sets upon reaching the $185K stretch goal to produce the Blu-ray.
    Last edited by Anime_Otaku35; 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM.
    "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

^ There will also be a $80 Blu-ray only tier added once the stretch goal is met. ($100 is a BD/DVD Combo).

Comment

And now $170k has been surpassed. 60 hours remain to raise the remaining $15k to make the BD happen. The Talento tier reward is still up for grabs as it is going down by $100 everyday until claimed.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
        Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

In case anyone is interested, but never used Kickstarter before:
          • How is Kickstarter different from a pre-order?

Pledging through Kickstarter is more like being an angel investor. You're investing money in a project (producing an English dub of Skip Beat), and - if the project is successful - you will be reimbursed with goods and services (depending on how much money you put up).

As a result, Kickstarter pledges are covered by different laws and regulations than a pre-order, and have fewer legal protections. On the other hand, many Kickstarter rewards aren't (and may never be) available in retail outlets. And even if they are, many Kickstarter creators give you a better deal than retail.

So its important to know who the project creator is, and what they're planning on doing with the money. Then, decide whether you think they're credible. And never put money into a Kickstarter unless you can afford to lose it. Outright scams are rare (and illegal), but if the project fails (for whatever reason) your money is still gone.
          • So who is running this Kickstarter? And are they reputable?

This Kickstarter is being run by Pied Piper, Inc. They're a small Region 1 anime company who've previously worked on movies and short OVAs. Now, they want to localize and dub their first tv series.

Major R1 players, including Funimation and Right Stuf, have already provided references for Pied Piper. And the company has secured the rights to the tv series, lined up the dub actors, and arranged for an excellent tech crew. However, they don't have the financial resources to actually pay for a project of this size, so they're using Kickstarter to line up financing.
          • How much is it?

Kickstarter allows you to put in an as much or as little as you want - the more you put in, the more you get (if the project succeeds). If you want the actual dvds, they're available in three pledge packages:

- $60 - At the "Daruma-ya" level, you get the entire series on four dual-layered dvds, in bare bones packaging

- $100 - At the "Kyoko's Classic" level, you get the same dvds, in nicer packaging. They will also come with unspecified "merchandise" (probably post cards, or something similar)

- $150 - At the "Kyoko's Revenge" level, you get the dvds, premium packaging (including a chip board case), an art booklet, and a poster
          • Is there a Blu-Ray version?

Not yet . . . but maybe. If the Kickstarter successfully raises $185,000 or more, Pied Piper wants to use the extra for a Blu-Ray release. If it works out, the "Kyoko's Classic" and "Kyoko's Revenge" packages will also include the Blu-ray disks. There is also talk about doing a Blu-ray only pledge package
          • How do I pay?

When you make a pledge, Kickstarter will ask for your credit card information. If - and only if - the project reaches its target goal, your card will be charged. And you can change/cancel your pledge at any time, right up until the deadline. It will appear on your credit card bill as "Kickstarter (Project Name)"

Skip Beat has already met it target goal. So everyone's credit card will be charged on Saturday, when the Kickstarter ends
          • Why are they talking about PayPal?

Now that the Kickstarter has reached its minimum goal, Pied Piper is also accepting contributions via PayPal. Many projects don't do this, but the terms are basically the same. Contact Pied Piper for more details.

However, if you pledge through PayPal, you can't use the Kickstarter message board for Skip Beat. Nor will you get any updates sent through Kickstarter. And if there's a problem with the project, you'll have to complain to PayPal, not Kickstarter.

If you have already pledged through Kickstarter, you don't need to worry about the PayPal stuff. Kickstarter will process your payment automatically when the campaign ends.
          • How will I get my dvds/Blu-rays?

Pied Piper has already made arrangements with Right Stuf to handle the shipping and packaging. If everything goes smoothly, Right Stuf will send them to you in October 2016 (dates may slip, should there be any problems)
          Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-14-2016, 05:49 AM. Reason: typo
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
            And now $170k has been surpassed. 60 hours remain to raise the remaining $15k to make the BD happen. The Talento tier reward is still up for grabs as it is going down by $100 everyday until claimed.
            Kicktraq has also raised its projections to between $180,386 and $197,634 (again, not counting PayPal contributions)
            "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

About the dates slipping--it's fairly common on things I've backed. Time of Eve shipped late, but it was OH, SO WORTH IT! Personally, I don't mind stuff shipping late if it means a better quality release, but it is something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
                ^ There will also be a $80 Blu-ray only tier added once the stretch goal is met. ($100 is a BD/DVD Combo).
                Pied Piper won't commit to hard details about any new tiers, at least not until they reach the Blu-ray stretch goal. But they did just post some general thoughts:

Originally posted by Pied Piper (via Kickstarter)
                I can't do $80 with a chipbox - it will be the amaray case only. Chip boxes are VERY expensive to manufacture, especially in small quantities!! And they require a set-up fee to create the die for manufacturing.
                Originally posted by Pied Piper (via Kickstarter)
                But if we reach the BD goal with 18 hours to spare, I can offer a chipboard set (DVD/BD combo) WITHOUT t the other goodies. It would be in between $100 and $150.
                So if the Blu-ray stretch goal is achieved by 6 pm (EDT) or so on Friday, it sounds like Pied Piper will offer two new Blu-ray tiers/packages, in addition to upgrading the Kyoko's Classic and Kyoko's Revenge tiers.

Comment

Ann said in a comment that the current plan for Blu-ray(which is just $9k away) is to use 3 BD50s. Hopefully we'll find out what it would cost to get a 4th BD50 so the bitrate and stuff can be better.

Comment

Taliesin Jaffe is on board as a Supervising Director:
                    https://twitter.com/TheMelaLee/statu...98247325421568

I love that this basically will have New Generation Pictures staff on this.

Comment

This is getting a proper release if now it's funded for those who don't pledge right? Like the other Pied Piper releases.
                      Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                        This is getting a proper release if now it's funded for those who don't pledge right? Like the other Pied Piper releases.
                        Ann has said that she is planning to sell the $60 DVD (and the $100 BD/DVD combo) tier at retail so I imagine it would be available from the same vendors as the Time of Eve movie.

EDIT: The $150 chipboard box tier will be a Kickstarter exclusive though.

Comment

Getting close to the $185 mark!
                          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                            Getting close to the $185 mark!
                            Just $6k left to go with 43 hours left to get it. And the Talento tier has just been lowered to $1700. Certainly, it makes quite a big difference that this campaigned moved to Kickstarter after it stumbled out of the gates at Indegogo.
                            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                            Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                            Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
                              Taliesin Jaffe is on board as a Supervising Director:
                              https://twitter.com/TheMelaLee/statu...98247325421568

I love that this basically will have New Generation Pictures staff on this.
                              Who else? Jaffe has done work outside of NGP. I am very pleased to hear about this, though. I got to finally watching through R.O.D the TV not too long ago, and listened to all the commentaries on the series. The amount of care he put into that series really shows. Pied Piper seems to know how to bring some great talent together, as I saw with Time of Eve (which had another favorite director of mine, Michael Sinterniklaas, involved).

Comment

Well, I was waiting to decide whether to go with the DVD tier or the possible Blu-Ray update since I do not really want the other extra stuff, but I mine as well go with the first upgrade tier now.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X