Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TV] FUNimation Channel w/Olympusat to relaunch as TOKU

Widgets Magazine
    One of the providers has noted the name change from FUNimation Channel to TOKU. It will be interesting to see if there are any other major changes.

https://frontier.com/helpcenter/Cate...of-programming
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 For customers in Washington, Oregon, Indiana and Connecticut, Funimation is changing its name to TOKU. TOKU will continue to deliver Asian anime shows, but will add more variety including highly-rated Asian movies in the Live Action, Grindhouse and Independent genres. Customers in FiOS locations in OR, IN and WA can find TOKU on Channel 252. FrontierTV customers in CT will find TOKU on Channel 1484.

Re: FUNimation Channel changing its name to TOKU

Wait what?! I hope they still stick with Funimation even if it's just a for their anime releases. Toku is just a weird name.
    My Anime List
    Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
      Wait what?! I hope they still stick with Funimation even if it's just a for their anime releases. Toku is just a weird name.
      I have no idea why, but "Toku" sounds like something you'd eat to me. Like a snack food.

Comment

FUNi changing to Toku while not having any actual Toku is pretty funny to me.

So they're basically including live-action stuff too huh, I guess that's cool though that channel being around after all this time is still surprising.
        Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

To be clear, this is the linear channel? Okay.

Originally posted by WTK View Post
          https://frontier.com/helpcenter/Cate...of-programming
          Thursday, December 31, 2015 For customers in Washington, Oregon, Indiana and Connecticut, Funimation is changing its name to TOKU. TOKU will continue to deliver Asian anime shows (snip)
          I thought all anime was from Japan. Is this political correctness at work?

but will add more variety including highly-rated Asian movies in the Live Action, Grindhouse and Independent genres.
          Aww, no j-dramas. Second, you can only show so many movies so many times. Third, this could mean the end of this channel. It could end up with totally lame original programming and syndicated shows. i remember when G4 was all about video games. The shows looked cheaply made, but it worked. Then the merger happened and G4 is no more.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this, but I haven't really been paying much attention to this. Toku is such a weird name for this channel.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
            Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
              It's just the channel getting a name change, presumably to reflect that it offers more than just animation.
              "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
              -My Collection
              --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Not surprising, given how difficult it would be to offer a linear 24/7 anime TV channel today. This might actually get it some more coverage if it works.
                Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by jlaking
                  It looks like FUNimation may be doing some minor rebranding going into 2016 as one of their cable partners, Frontier, has revealed that at the end of this year the FUNimational Channel is being renamed to TOKU. By all appearances it’s looking to remain the same in a sense as it will feature a lot of anime, but it’s expanding into other areas – thereby diluting the FUNimation anime brand itself.

It is not FUNimation that is changing the name, that would be Olympusat since they own the channel.
                  Olympusat doesn't own the channel. They handle the distribution and satellite logistics for it. Funimation still actually owns it. Olympusat does this for a number of networks that it doesn't own, as it's often cheaper and easier to outsource these operations than to do them yourself.

Honestly, I doubt a name change and some expanded content will do much to help the channel's reach. Satellite and cable companies are already starting to push back against being forced to carry niche networks with low ratings, and Funimation doesn't have the option of bundling it with better performing channels. When even the big boys are having trouble getting cable systems to carry new channels, it's going to be nearly impossible for a company as small as Funimation, even with support from Olympusat.

Comment

I'm honestly pretty intrigued by the move. The name TOKU implies things are coming that I certainly wouldn't object to if they came to pass. That said, I wonder how long FUNimation can keep the network up and running. Especially now that networks like El Rey are starting to muscle in on the Asian cinema market in earnest. I wonder if this means FUNimation intends to renew their deal with Shaw Brothers Studio, or try out a tokusatsu series like GARO.

Comment

Someone posted a TOKU commercial on Twitter: https://twitter.com/pabaylosis/statu...22134170914816

Comment

Someone posted a TOKU commercial on Twitter: https://twitter.com/pabaylosis/statu...22134170914816
                        The ads featured distinctively not FUNimation/Giant Ape live action titles, in fact all of the ones I could recognize come from Tokyo Shock (Media Blasters).
                        • 009 - The End of the Beginning
                        • Ichi the Killer
                        • Machine Girl
                        Last edited by Rootsofjustice; 12-11-2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

One more (Ladies Vs Butlers dub): https://twitter.com/pabaylosis/statu...23967608721408

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post
                            The ads featured distinctively not FUNimation/Giant Ape live action titles, in fact all of the ones I could recognize come from Tokyo Shock (Media Blasters).
                            • 009 - The End of the Beginning
                            • Ichi the Killer
                            • Machine Girl
                            The commercials also show the scenes of one more Media Blasters title : "Kite"

Comment

Originally posted by johnanime View Post
                              The commercials also show the scenes of one more Media Blasters title : "Kite"
                              I'm gonna bet its the cut edition because there's no way they're going to air a Hentai.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X