Widgets Magazine

The 1 & Only Untranslated OP/EDs on Home Video Releases Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] The 1 & Only Untranslated OP/EDs on Home Video Releases Thread.

Widgets Magazine
    I'll start off with ones that I know(and have heard):

Aniplex USA (Shows that have translated OP/ED only in textless OP or ED will be denoted by an *)
    • Blast of Tempest
    • Magi Labyrinth of Magic *
    • Nisekoi Season 1* (h/t ultimatemegax)
    • Oreshura
    • Servant X Service *
    • Silver Spoon Season 1 *
    • Silver Spoon Season 2 *
    • Sword Art Online: Extra Edition
    • The Irregular at Magic School(Mahouka) * (h/t Nemesis443)
    • Vividred Operation(according to ANN h/t Zalis)
    • Your Lie in April * (thanks Diakia89)

Cinedigm
    • Saint Seiya Sanctuary Arc (from NJ).

Discotek
    • Ceres, Celestial Legend (Viz Media originally never translated them h/t Zalis)

FUNimation
    • Barakamon (h/t KeikakuKat & BigOnAnime)
    • Black Butler: Book of Circus (h/t Rhys2753)
    • Death Parade (h/t KeikakuKat) [note: simulcast subs had English subbed OP & ED]
    • Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo
    • Tenchi the Movie 2-Daughter of Darkness (old Pioneer DVDs never had that translated either. h/t EmperorBrandon)

Kodansha Comics USA
    • Attack on Titan-Ilyse's Notebook (h/t NJ_)
    • Attack on Titan: No Regrets (h/t NJ_)

Media Blasters:
    • Ladies Vs. Butlers (according to a tweet from KeikakuKat)
    • Rio: Rainbow Gate (subtitle-only DVD. Will note blu-ray if same h/t Art-chan)

PonyCan USA (* denotes OP/ED translations only in extras)
    • Denki-Gai (h/t Nemesis443)
    • Etotama (confirmed by Mc Taz in Etotama thread).
    • Yuki Yuna Is A Hero * (confirmed by KeikakuKat on Twitter)

Sentai Filmworks (+ denotes that special EDs and inserts not translated; main OP and ED are translated)
    • Watamote: No Matter How I Look At It, It's Your Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular + (h/t EmperorBrandon)

S'more Entertainment:
    • Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo (thanks jlaking)

Viz Media:
    • Inuyasha (h/t Zalis)
    • She, The Ultimate Weapon(Original Viz DVDs didn't have translations. Sentai's license rescue does h/t Zalis & Bob the Lover)

Warner Home Video:
    • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (DVD) [some episodes missing translated OP. ED is in English]

I'll try and keep up with any additions.
    Last edited by AbZeroNow; 12-08-2016, 05:54 PM.

Re: The 1 & Only Untranslated OP/EDs on Home Video Releases Thread.

Toei/Cinedigm

Saint Seiya
    Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Apparently the OP/EDs for Nisekoi Season 1 are only translated in the textless OP/ED feature according to Ultimatemegax. Will have to check my Aniplex DVDs to see if mine are like that.

http://ask.fm/ultimatemegax/answer/134643875695

Comment

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
        Apparently the OP/EDs for Nisekoi Season 1 are only translated in the textless OP/ED feature according to Ultimatemegax. Will have to check my Aniplex DVDs to see if mine are like that.

http://ask.fm/ultimatemegax/answer/134643875695
        I think there are other AoA releases that do the same thing. How you'd want to classify them for record-keeping purposes is up to you; they're not untranslated/unsubtitled, but it is of course unconventional to handle it that way. If there's somehow a reluctance to call them "normally" subtitled as a result, a notation about it is a good idea.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with it, since the lyrics are present should I want or need to reference them, but it's not putting extra amounts of subtitles into the actual in-show sequences. When many fans chapter-skip past the in-show sequences anyway, I can't imagine there being a problem with other folks either.

A functional reason why AoA may have done this for some releases might be out of a desire to avoid obscuring staff credits and not having to perform subtitle placement gymnastics to do so. It's worth mentioning that various import releases that include subtitles and, more rarely, opening and ending subtitles, will do exactly this, moving the subtitle placement around so that it does not obscure credits, and even sometimes important animation elements onscreen (and I don't just mean moving subtitles to the top of the screen like you see, but left- or right-justifying subtitles on the bottom as well). There's no consistency to this, even for releases from the same studio, and so there may not necessarily be consistency from AoA either, but that's one thing that may factor into it.

The boring old "licensing restriction" catch-all reason may be another. Why a licensor would require/allow only the creditless versions in the extras be subtitled, I don't know, hut it wouldn't be the strangest thing a licensor has ever mandated.

With that said, I'd recommend checking the other heretofore-listed untranslated/unsubtitled AoA releases for subtitles being included with the creditless sequences for reference rather than with the in-show sequences.
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

^ It's likely all of my Aniplex USA DVDs will be like that. I just checked Servant X Service and Silver Spoon Season 1. The first DVD has the textless OP & ED as extras and those have romanji and English translated lyrics for the songs but only in those extras.

I'll check Blast of Tempest, Magi and Oreshura later on today but I suspect that will be the case for them too. I just put an asterisk to denote that they are only translated as part of an extra.

EDIT: Blast of Tempest and Oreshura don't have any translations for the OP & ED. Luckily 1st Blast of Tempest OP is in English. Magi's OP and EDs are only subbed in the textless extras.
          Last edited by AbZeroNow; 11-04-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Triage X
            Punch Line
            Rin NE
            Re Kan!
            My Teen Romantic SNAFU TOO!
            Wish Upon The PleIades
            Hello!! Kimora
            Utan PrincesSama Revolutions
            The Eden Of Grisaia
            Gourmet Girl Graffiti
            Are The OP And ED On Hulu Subtitled?
            BAGEL AND BECKY ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob The Lover View Post
              Triage X
              Punch Line
              Rin NE
              Re Kan!
              My Teen Romantic SNAFU TOO!
              Wish Upon The PleIades
              Hello!! Kimora
              Utan PrincesSama Revolutions
              The Eden Of Grisaia
              Gourmet Girl Graffiti
              Are The OP And ED On Hulu Subtitled?
              As a rule, Sentai does alternating English and romaji OP/ED lyrics when they release a BD or DVD. I think they tend to also sub those on The Anime Network. As for Hulu, I recommend you check them yourself if you have a computer since I imagine those you listed have a free ad-supported option.

EDIT: Triage X doesn't have OP & ED subbed on Viewster. So probably not on Hulu either.
              Last edited by AbZeroNow; 11-25-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I think they tend to also sub those on The Anime Network. As for Hulu, I recommend you check them yourself if you have a computer since I imagine those you listed have a free ad-supported option.
                I think Hulu tends to be the same as TAN. Might even get a Hulu embed if you're non-subscriber on TAN.

Generally, if it's something they upload after they have the home video masters (for instance, I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job), then it's definitely going to have OP/ED subs. It's only the series that are uploaded as a simulcast that are going to be more variable in the way I already outlined in the Chivalry of a Failed Knight thread.

Comment

How About These Titles?
                  Denki Gai no Honya-San
                  Yuri Yuna Is A Hero
                  Ladies versus Butlers!
                  Yosuga no Sora
                  Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!

Comment

How About These Titles?
                    Denki Gai no Honya-San
                    Yuri Yuna Is A Hero
                    Ladies versus Butlers!
                    Yosuga no Sora
                    Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!
                    I'll report on Yuki Yuna when I watch it on Netflix. Same with Ladies vs Butlers and Yosuga no Sora when I watch them on Crunchyroll. Otherwise I'll have to wait for someone to mention if those PonyCan USA ones you mentioned(first two and the last one) are like Aniplex USA in how they handle subtitling OP and EDs.

Comment

I'll report on Yuki Yuna when I watch it on Netflix. Same with Ladies vs Butlers and Yosuga no Sora when I watch them on Crunchyroll.
                      I've already checked LvB on Crunchyroll. Despite hard translated English credits for the staff (with lots of egregiously mistransliterated people and company names), there are no subtitles for the theme songs. But keep in mind that LvB is only on Crunchyroll dubbed. I'm not entirely sure if it will reflect what's on the discs for the subtitled version, so someone who has them may need to say.
                      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 11-25-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Can You Tell Me Some Mistransliterated People and company names, On Ladies vs Butlers, Please?

Comment

Originally posted by jlaking
                          S'More Entertainment's Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo releases do not have translated OP/EDs.
                          Considering they didn't have subtitles, period for the Japanese audio... That's the least of its problems.

Comment

Can You Tell Me Some Mistransliterated People and company names, On Ladies vs Butlers, Please?
                            Actual names in parentheses:
                            Hitoshi Akitagawa (Jin Aketagawa)
                            Aki Hatake (Aki Hata)
                            Landis (Lantis)
                            Ascci Mediaworks (ASCII Media Works)
                            Magic Capsel (Magic Capsule)
                            Sernia Ito Flameheart (Selnia Iori Flameheart)
                            Mimina Sakurazawa (Mimina Osawa)
                            Sanae Shikikyo (Sanae Shikikagami)
                            Akemi Sakuma (Kumi Sakuma)
                            Tomoko Goto (Yuko Goto)

Among probably many other minor ones I can point out if I looked closely (these are just ones that stood out like a sore thumb on my first viewing). There's some inconsistency. The dub and the English cast credits, for instance, got the characters' names right (it's just the Japanese cast credits), and "Lantis" is spelled correctly for their production committee appearance. It's easy to get the names of some Japanese people wrong because of ambiguous kanji, but there seemed to be more failures of basic research than is usual for a US release.

Comment

Originally posted by jlaking
                              S'More Entertainment's Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo releases do not have translated OP/EDs.
                              Thanks for the info. Added. So many things wrong with S'More releases though.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X