Widgets Magazine

Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
    Omg, this plus the Seven Deadly Sins announcement just made my week and overshadowed all the new fall shows premiering lol. I just finished this show a few months ago after putting it off for quite some time and my friend always nagging me about how awesome it was. Definitely looking forward to see how Viz handles the release. Will most likely be down for the BD release however they do decide to do it.
    What was so good about the 7taizai announcement?
    AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

That was a license that was long awaited, and pretty much it was going to be Viz who would get it seeing that they are the ones who handle long series the best. It should have happened a long time ago, but here it is. Now, I am thinking that this could very well be on Toonami seeing that it is one of the top requests.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
      Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Yay, I guess?

I mean, I enjoyed the 2011 version of Hunter x Hunter and would love to own it physically, but I'm not confident about Viz releasing the entire series based on their past history. Didn't the original sell badly for them? It's weird seeing them license the reboot when they didn't even bother getting the OVAs for the first one. I'd really like to see the movies, but I have no confidence in Viz licensing them.
        Last edited by Zilch; 10-11-2015, 04:01 AM.
        Avatar: Light Yagami (Death Note) in Nendoroid form.
        Watching: ERASED [Crunchyroll], Your Lie in April [Netflix], Dragon Ball Kai, Hunter x Hunter [Toonami]
        On Hiatus: Too much to list...

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
          Yay, I guess?

I mean, I enjoyed the 2011 version of Hunter x Hunter and would love to own it physically, but I'm not confident about Viz releasing the entire series based on their past history. Didn't the original sell badly for them? It's weird seeing them license the reboot when they didn't even bother getting the OVAs for the first one. I'd really like to see the movies, but I have no confidence in Viz licensing them.
          Okay, seriously, how long has it been since Viz didn't finish releasing an anime onto home video? Can we, please, finally move on from the days of Monster, Hikaru no Go, & other titles that came out literally years upon years ago? Viz hasn't not finished what they started in such a long time, so I think it's safe to say that Viz will fully release the HxH reboot.
          Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
          Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

I hope viz can implement some changes to the series and actually make it feel happy.

I also hope its sold in arcs, Id want to buy Heavens Arena and Greed Island. The final arc if it can be fixed, since they work with shuesiha maybe they can have the studio and togashi reanimate and alter the plot.
            AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
              Yay, I guess?

Okay, seriously, how long has it been since Viz didn't finish releasing an anime onto home video? Can we, please, finally move on from the days of Monster, Hikaru no Go, & other titles that came out literally years upon years ago? Viz hasn't not finished what they started in such a long time, so I think it's safe to say that Viz will fully release the HxH reboot.
              To be fair, unlike Ranma & Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter is an unproven property here because of how bad the 1999 series did for Viz in the past (hence the OVAs never getting licensed) and it also doesn't help that the 2011 series is much longer in length compared to that one & most of the other series they released recently (Tiger & Bunny, Gargantia, Coppelion, etc).

I'm pretty certain myself that they won't drop Hunter x Hunter this time but it's easy to understand why some people are still skeptical about it.
              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

As some other people have mentioned, I'm surprised to see Viz announce this after they'd seemed to rule out having it. Good to see that it's finally getting a release, though; I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
                  I hope viz can implement some changes to the series and actually make it feel happy.

I also hope its sold in arcs, Id want to buy Heavens Arena and Greed Island. The final arc if it can be fixed, since they work with shuesiha maybe they can have the studio and togashi reanimate and alter the plot.
                  Not sure if serious or trolling...

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                    Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
                    Yay, I guess?

To be fair, unlike Ranma & Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter is an unproven property here because of how bad the 1999 series did for Viz in the past (hence the OVAs never getting licensed) and it also doesn't help that the 2011 series is much longer in length compared to that one & most of the other series they released recently (Tiger & Bunny, Gargantia, Coppelion, etc).

I'm pretty certain myself that they won't drop Hunter x Hunter this time but it's easy to understand why some people are still skeptical about it.
                    I dropped the old series because the dub was not very good and they completely shit the bed with the opening and closing songs/animations.

I cannot wait, I've wanted this series for so long now. Now if only JoJo could get a proper release too...thanks for nothing Warner.
                    Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Originally posted by brandough View Post
                      Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post

Not sure if serious or trolling...
                      Definitely a troll. They're on other forums as well. They play their character pretty consistently. Don't get baited.

Anyway, how do you think Viz will sell this? Divide it by 13 episodes? Per arc?

Comment

It would be nice if the release was done by arcs, but I'm worried they'll release it like Bleach with 12-13 eps per set. Maybe since Bleach is done now that's why they picked up Hunter X Hunter now.

Comment

12 or so episodes per set may not be very ideal (12 sets). Doing sets by arcs may work on some but not on others (like Chimera Ant arc). I think 6 to 8 sets may be more realistic.
                          • Hunter Exam arc (eps 1 - 21)
                          • Zoldyck Family arc (eps 22 - 26)
                          • Heavens Arena arc (eps 27 - 36)
                          • Yorknew City arc (eps 37 - 58)
                          • Greed Island arc (eps 59 - 75)
                          • Chimera Ant arc (eps 76 - 136)
                          • 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc (eps 137 - 148)

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                            12 or so episodes per set may not be very ideal (12 sets). Doing sets by arcs may work on some but not on others (like Chimera Ant arc). I think 6 to 8 sets may be more realistic.
                            • Hunter Exam arc (eps 1 - 21)
                            • Zoldyck Family arc (eps 22 - 26)
                            • Heavens Arena arc (eps 27 - 36)
                            • Yorknew City arc (eps 37 - 58)
                            • Greed Island arc (eps 59 - 75)
                            • Chimera Ant arc (eps 76 - 136)
                            • 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc (eps 137 - 148)
                            Funny this should be brought up, I had actually crunched some numbers about a year ago when I was under the impression FUNimation was picking up the series.

Assuming traditional 12-13 episode sets:

Hunter's Exam Part 1: Episodes 1-13
                            Hunter's Exam Part 2 (Plus Zoldyck Family): Episodes 14-26
                            Yorknew City Part 1 (Heaven's Arena): Episodes 27-38
                            Yorknew City Part 2: Episodes 39-50
                            Yorknew City Part 3 (Plus Beginning of Greed Island): Episodes 51-62
                            Yorknew City Part 4: Episodes 63-75
                            Chimera Ant Part 1: Episodes 76-88
                            Chimera Ant Part 2: Episodes 89-100
                            Chimera Ant Part 3: Episodes 101-112
                            Chimera Ant Part 4: Episodes 113-124
                            Chimera Ant Part 5: Episodes 125-136
                            Chimera Ant Part 6 (Chairman Election): 137-148

Assuming Sailor Moon styled 2-in-1 packs:

Hunter's Exam Complete Collection: 1-26
                            Yorknew City Collection 1: 27-50
                            Yorknew City Collection 2: 51-75
                            Chimera Ant Collection 1: 76-100
                            Chimera Ant Collection 2: 101-124
                            Chimera Ant Collection 3: 125-148

With the 2-in-1 styled collections, they'd even be small enough that artboxes would be possible.

Comment

Isn't this a highly requested show for Toonami? If so, it would be cool to see it on the block in time!
                              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Speaking of episodes, it'll be interesting to see if Viz will get episodes 13 & 26 because both were recaps and IIRC, were not included with the Japanese volumes.

EDIT: Just checked Kana France's website and it seems the French DVDs do have them so it looks very likely that we'll get them too.
                                Last edited by NJ_; 10-12-2015, 12:52 AM.
                                Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X