Widgets Magazine

Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27CansOfTuna
    replied
    Re: Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

I hope viz can implement some changes to the series and actually make it feel happy.

I also hope its sold in arcs, Id want to buy Heavens Arena and Greed Island. The final arc if it can be fixed, since they work with shuesiha maybe they can have the studio and togashi reanimate and alter the plot.

Leave a comment:

• LordGeo
    replied

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
    Yay, I guess?

I mean, I enjoyed the 2011 version of Hunter x Hunter and would love to own it physically, but I'm not confident about Viz releasing the entire series based on their past history. Didn't the original sell badly for them? It's weird seeing them license the reboot when they didn't even bother getting the OVAs for the first one. I'd really like to see the movies, but I have no confidence in Viz licensing them.
    Okay, seriously, how long has it been since Viz didn't finish releasing an anime onto home video? Can we, please, finally move on from the days of Monster, Hikaru no Go, & other titles that came out literally years upon years ago? Viz hasn't not finished what they started in such a long time, so I think it's safe to say that Viz will fully release the HxH reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

Yay, I guess?

I mean, I enjoyed the 2011 version of Hunter x Hunter and would love to own it physically, but I'm not confident about Viz releasing the entire series based on their past history. Didn't the original sell badly for them? It's weird seeing them license the reboot when they didn't even bother getting the OVAs for the first one. I'd really like to see the movies, but I have no confidence in Viz licensing them.
    Last edited by Zilch; 10-11-2015, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied

That was a license that was long awaited, and pretty much it was going to be Viz who would get it seeing that they are the ones who handle long series the best. It should have happened a long time ago, but here it is. Now, I am thinking that this could very well be on Toonami seeing that it is one of the top requests.

Leave a comment:

• 27CansOfTuna
    replied

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
    Omg, this plus the Seven Deadly Sins announcement just made my week and overshadowed all the new fall shows premiering lol. I just finished this show a few months ago after putting it off for quite some time and my friend always nagging me about how awesome it was. Definitely looking forward to see how Viz handles the release. Will most likely be down for the BD release however they do decide to do it.
    What was so good about the 7taizai announcement?

Leave a comment:

• BigOnAnime
    replied

I have no words, especially after I had given up all hope. Guess it's time to use this again to show how blown away I am...

Leave a comment:

• Chisel
    replied

Omg, this plus the Seven Deadly Sins announcement just made my week and overshadowed all the new fall shows premiering lol. I just finished this show a few months ago after putting it off for quite some time and my friend always nagging me about how awesome it was. Definitely looking forward to see how Viz handles the release. Will most likely be down for the BD release however they do decide to do it.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied

What I would consider by far the great unlicensed anime. It's been four years since it should've happened and one year since it really should've happened, but at least it finally did. Is Viz the best home for it? Only time will tell I suppose. Obviously I trust the Viz of today to treat it a lot better than they treated the previous adaptation, and to be fair it's a lot more marketable as a shiny new show and one I would consider much better. I can't imagine they'll try to connect the two at all, which I'm glad for. Would be nice to get those old OVAs picked up one day, though. In particular I have faith that they'll put up the money to have one of the top studios give it the dub treatment it deserves. If not I'll still be thrilled to have it on Blu-ray to watch in Japanese. It's harder to expect anything too special for releases of a series this long, but honestly Viz might actually be the best bet in that regard, since they could at least do something akin to what they've done for Sailor Moon or Ranma 1/2 recently. Needless to say I'll pay whatever they want for these releases. Here's hoping for the best!

Leave a comment:

• RTSBPhoenix
    replied

Hm, is it possible Viz might release the blu-rays in the same kind of way they gave special edition releases for Ranma 1/2?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleWarrior13
    replied

Maybe it was Netflix that paid a "pretty pretty penny" for it, and it just recently expired? Is the show still up?

Leave a comment:

• 27CansOfTuna
    replied

Perhaps it didnt work out for whatever company had it.

Please let erens va voice killua.

Leave a comment:

• BlaizeV
    replied

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
    Didn't Viz get "outbid" on this one at some point? It's just kind of interesting to see them actually license a title they said that someone else made a better offer for. Maybe the other entity retracted their offer or they weren't able to come to an agreement with the licensors. Either way, it's great news for the legion of fans who have been waiting for it. The show has a lot of high praise, but I'm reluctant to jump into any kind of long running shonen series.
    I was thinking the same, they had previously said they weren't able to get it. I'm totally guessing with no evidence here but perhaps it was caught up with Crunchyroll before and given how we know that anything CR have is DVD only then Viz were not willing to license it for BD only given how DVD seems to be the preferred choice for shonen shows i.e Bleach,Naruto Shippuden,One Piece etc

Probably not the case but maybe? :S

Leave a comment:

• WTK
    replied

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
    Didn't Viz get "outbid" on this one at some point? It's just kind of interesting to see them actually license a title they said that someone else made a better offer for. Maybe the other entity retracted their offer or they weren't able to come to an agreement with the licensors.
    See below:
    Code:
    via Viz Media Facebook page (1/17/14)
    - "We were told another company got the license."

via Viz Media Facebook page (5/17/13)
    - "This is the reboot right? We put in an offer for it, but we didn't get the deal. The Japanese licensor doesn't have to let the people who didn't get it a notice of who got it, so we'll just have to wait for the announcement. Either way, who ever has it paid a pretty pretty penny for it..."

via Viz Media Twitter (9/23/11)
    - "with the new #HunterXHunter anime premiering in a week, any word of a simulcast?"
    - "ooo.. already? that doesn't look good for us. They would have told us Tweeps to blast it by now."

via HxH Podcast Twitter (7/1/12)
    - "Talked to funi, they heard about the show but no plans for release."

Leave a comment:

• Mc-Taz
    replied

Didn't Viz get "outbid" on this one at some point? It's just kind of interesting to see them actually license a title they said that someone else made a better offer for. Maybe the other entity retracted their offer or they weren't able to come to an agreement with the licensors. Either way, it's great news for the legion of fans who have been waiting for it. The show has a lot of high praise, but I'm reluctant to jump into any kind of long running shonen series.

Leave a comment:

• Rootsofjustice
    replied

Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
    Pretty good for a pickup. Now I'm wondering what Studio Viz will use since the episode count is too much for Bang Zoom!, leaving either Studiopolis (they already have two long-runners being dubbed ATM (Naruto and Sailor Moon) or (albeit less likely) Ocean
    Actually, Bang Zoom may very well be where the franchise is headed. Justin Sevakis hinted a little while ago at working on a project for Viz that would be announced "soon," and he only deals with the shows Bang Zoom has done post production for (since Subatomic handles their Studiopolis and Ocean stuff). This could possibly be it.

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X