Widgets Magazine

Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlaizeV
    replied
    Re: Viz Media licenses Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
    Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
    Viz are unlikely to put out the original series again themselves as it will only serve to undercut the sales of the new version..
    Actually it could potentially help sales of the older version.
    Pretty much what I meant, by releasing the older version of the show it'll only impact negatively the sales of the newer version. So in the case of Viz Media there is no chance they will be rereleasing HxH '99.

As for another company releasing the show then sure it would be a positive to have the new version available as well, just not for Viz.

Leave a comment:

• BigOnAnime
    replied

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
    Viz are unlikely to put out the original series again themselves as it will only serve to undercut the sales of the new version.

It's possible a company like Discotek could rescue the older series down the road (I hope they do so I can get the OVAs, though saying that I personally hated the Greed Island Arc) but it's also possible that something back in Japan might stop that from happening if both adaptations are owned by the same company.
    Actually it could potentially help sales of the older version. Worth noting, the newer adaptation is handled internationally by NTV, while according to WTK in the OOP thread, Nippon Animation handles the international rights for the older adaptation, though that's the TV series and not the OVA's.

Leave a comment:

• BlaizeV
    replied

Originally posted by Canadian View Post
    Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
    I really hope this could result in a re-release of the original series. I'd want to own it all on DVD.
    That would require someone else rescuing the original show since like Monster, Viz dropped the license years ago due to it not selling here.
    I was hoping it was possible Viz Media could pick the license back up again. I'm debating whether I should weather eBay/Amazon for the first DVD release or cling to the possibility of a re-release.
    Viz are unlikely to put out the original series again themselves as it will only serve to undercut the sales of the new version.

It's possible a company like Discotek could rescue the older series down the road (I hope they do so I can get the OVAs, though saying that I personally hated the Greed Island Arc) but it's also possible that something back in Japan might stop that from happening if both adaptations are owned by the same company.

Leave a comment:

• Canadian
    replied

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
    I really hope this could result in a re-release of the original series. I'd want to own it all on DVD.
    That would require someone else rescuing the original show since like Monster, Viz dropped the license years ago due to it not selling here.
    I was hoping it was possible Viz Media could pick the license back up again. I'm debating whether I should weather eBay/Amazon for the first DVD release or cling to the possibility of a re-release.

Leave a comment:

• NJ_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Canadian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTK
    replied

More subbed streaming added...

http://www.viz.com/streaming-schedule
    • Hunter x Hunter Eps. 40-52 | Subbed | May 1

Leave a comment:

• Animefan1995
    replied

10 more minutes till HxH premieres on Toonami.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied

Originally posted by WTK View Post
    Hunter x Hunter is replacing Parasyte on Toonami (4/16 1am)
    Damn, that's amazing news. I don't have cable, so I really hope a home video release isn't too far off at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied

Seeing that HxH is one of the shows with the highest amount of requests, it was destined for a Toonami run. I'm looking forward to watching this show and the dub seeing that a lot of people consider this to be the G.O.A.T. This should give Toonami something that delivers strong ratings for the next three years, and given the limited availability of Viz dubs that it makes lots of sense. Viz certainly needs to get One Punch Man on Toonami as well, and I think that could follow Dimension W when it finishes.

Leave a comment:

• Animefan1995
    replied

Yeah figures. Not upset about it, since many of us knew it was going to be Bang Zoom! production from the start ever since Justin Sevakis teased that he was working on an unnounced Viz title last year, and this was the show he was talking about. Though to be honest, I have a good feeling that BZ is going to knock it out of the ballpark for the HxH dub, since the studio has a lot more voice directors compared to Studiopolis. In addition, the voice director(s) will do a good job on handling the performances on the voice actors dubbing the characters and the different arcs HxH has. Guess I stand corrected, since Studiopolis currently has two long runners in their plate (Naruto and Sailor Moon), and Viz didn't want to stress their client by adding in another long running show, which would delay the progress on one of the two long running shows.

This is a BIG surprise if you ask me, since this will be the first long running show Bang Zoom! has dub in almost a decade since Eureka Seven (although Doraemon could also count since it is a long-running show despite the English dub having two seasons of 26 episodes). But the first time Bang Zoom! dubs an 100+ episode series, given that most of the shows they dub throughout their history tend to be 12-13 or 24-26 episode anime series.

Now regardless of which dub (non-union or Union) the series will become (though it looks to be far-fetched this would be unionized), I do want to say this: Please, have the other voice actors (particularly the new ones that have not been used as often at BZ!) involved and getting roles rather than just re-using the same voice actors in your dubs over and over again. I know shouldn't make a fuss about it, but come at least the new voice actors that BZ! rarely uses need to have their cake and eat it too, you know.

But other than that, looking forward for Hunter X Hunter airing on Toonami, and this would be a huge sign that Williams Street would increase their relationship with Viz Media a lot more, since the only Viz title currently airing on the block is Naruto Shippuden.

Leave a comment:

• Chisel
    replied

Airing on Toonami? In two weeks you say?! This is huge! Will definitely be checking it out for the premiere and maybe a few weeks after. Though I'll save most of it for the eventual blu-ray release. I just hope the home video releases don't take too long after the Toonami premiere to start coming out. God forbid they wait for it to finish airing in 3 years lol. Ideally they would start releasing it after each arc finishes airing.

Leave a comment:

• NJ_
    replied

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
    Bang Zoom is handling Hunter X Hunter. This could be the show that Justin Sevakis is working on.
    https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/716050685712670720
    It is since he retweeted that and "liked" mine.

Leave a comment:

• Mach Rider
    replied

Originally posted by WTK View Post
    Hunter x Hunter is replacing Parasyte on Toonami (4/16 1am)
    Wow! Awesome news. Wasn't expecting it this soon! Hope this show is a ratings explosion for Toonami, can't wait to check out the dub too.

Leave a comment:

• AbZeroNow
    replied

Bang Zoom is handling Hunter X Hunter. This could be the show that Justin Sevakis is working on.
    https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/716050685712670720

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X