Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] GKIDS to distribute Only Yesterday

Widgets Magazine
    As noted from the Studio Ghibli thread, it appears that Only Yesterday is getting dubbed. If so, who will be releasing the movie? Disney? GKids (with Universal doing the distribution)? Another non-anime distributor?

https://jp.linkedin.com/in/geoffreywexler
    Producer, English-language Dub, "Only Yesterday"
    Starting February 2015
    Team members:Geoffrey Wexler, James Hubbert, Ian MacDougall, Jamie Simone, David Freedman, James Lafferty, Evan Ma, Dawn Hershey, CSA, Penelope Glass
    Last edited by WTK; 08-12-2015, 10:20 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Only Yesterday

Latest round-up of possible hints via @ghibli_intl:

@ghibli_intl Twitter page banner showcases scene from Only Yesterday

https://twitter.com/ghibli_intl/stat...06262294081536 (Aug 5)
    Sweltering in Tokyo... Heading to LA (nicely chilly recording studios!) this weekend for recording with our good friends at #studiopolis.
    https://twitter.com/ghibli_intl/stat...69591435292673 (Aug 17)
    For some reason I can't get this song out of my head...

苦しいことも あるだろさ
    悲しいことも あるだろさ
    だけどぼくらは くじけない
    泣くのはいやだ 笑っちゃおう
    進め ひょこりひょうたん島 x 3

Comment

Finally! I feel like it'll end up being Disney since they had the rights to it originally and made subs for it. They also haven't released My Neighbors the Yamadas on blu yet, so that could be the finally 2 released in their collection, with GKids taking over the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shez View Post
        Finally! I feel like it'll end up being Disney since they had the rights to it originally and made subs for it. They also haven't released My Neighbors the Yamadas on blu yet, so that could be the finally 2 released in their collection, with GKids taking over the rest.
        Doesn't GKIDS normally records its dubs with Studiopolis, with Disney using its own recording facilities?
        "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
        -My Collection
        --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
          Doesn't GKIDS normally records its dubs with Studiopolis, with Disney using its own recording facilities?
          NYAV Post mostly; I believe Studiopolis only did Princess Kaguya. And, yes, Disney would be in-house.
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
            Originally posted by Legion View Post
            NYAV Post mostly; I believe Studiopolis only did Princess Kaguya. And, yes, Disney would be in-house.
            Confirmed. Cat in Paris, The Painting, Letter to Momo, Welcome to Space Show, and Patema Inverted all were NYAV Post dubs, and quite excellently done IMO.

Comment

I don't think GKIDS is responsible for any Ghibli dubs. Most of them are now done by Ghibli themselves IIRC.
              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

^ That may also be the case for some of their other dubs. Welcome to the Space Show was a dub commissioned for a UK distributor and GKIDS just borrowed it.

Comment

I'm looking for Ocean Waves also. It and Only Yesterday would be a great additional to my Ghibli collection.

Comment

Licensor is GKIDS, theatrical release in 2016.

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...77524598321152
                    25 years later and we’re bringing #OnlyYesterday to the (American) big screen!
                    http://blogs.indiewire.com/animation...lease-20150824
                    GKIDS has announced that it has entered a distribution agreement with Studio Ghibli for the North American rights to Only Yesterday, from studio co-founder and Academy Award nominee Isao Takahata (The Tale of The Princess Kaguya). Long considered an unseen masterpiece by critics and fans, the film has never before been released in North America. GKIDS plans a theatrical release in early 2016, coinciding with the film’s 25th anniversary.

The deal was negotiated by Eric Beckman from GKIDS and Geoffrey Wexler from Studio Ghibli, with GKIDS taking all theatrical, non-theatrical, home video and television rights in North America. An English-language version is being produced by Studio Ghibli with cast to include Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), Ashley Eckstein (HerUniverse, Star Wars Rebels) and Alison Fernandez (Orange is the New Black).

“With this 25th anniversary release, a broad new audience will now be able to discover what passionate supporters have known for years,” said David Jesteadt, GKIDS’ SVP of Distribution. “Only Yesterday is a groundbreaking classic, and further demonstration of Isao Takahata’s incredible legacy as a filmmaker.”

Comment

The facebook page.
                      https://www.facebook.com/onlyyesterdayfilm?fref=nf

Comment

...and there goes one joke I wanted to incorporate in an AMV that I'm currently working on.
                        Joseph Klemm
                        "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                        Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                        Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                        Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

It looks like it's being handled like a new Ghibli film, which is fine. They're still finding ways to bring out Ghibli material. Glad to see this film FINALLY make it over. Here's to Ocean Waves!

Only problem: Ghibli dubs are usually good about actually getting A-list celeb voices. That cast looks C-list at best. I'm sure they'll be awesome, but if you don't go all out on celebs, you may as well just cast professional voice actors. They do have Daisy Ridley though, who might be a FUTURE A-lister. That actually happened before with Kirsten Dunst, Anna Paquin, Anne Hathaway, and Shia LaBeouf cast in Ghibli dubs before their peak in stardom.
                          Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM.
                          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Re: GKids to distribute Only Yesterday

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...83134794530817
                            - will it be getting the Blu-ray treatment also?

- of course

Comment

Re: GKids to distribute Only Yesterday

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                              https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...83134794530817
                              - will it be getting the Blu-ray treatment also?

- of course
                              That's the second best anime news I've heard in a decade! (Nozomi's Utena BDs being the first.)
                              April showers bring Ana & Matsuri (and John) || my avatar library
                              ~ Currently Watching: The Familiar of Zero; DARLING in the FRANXX
                              ~ Last Watched: SSSS.DYNAZENON; Revolutionary Girl Utena (series & film); She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-; Aoi Hana; Birthday Wonderland
                              homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X