• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Funimation licenses Speed Racer

Widgets Magazine
    13:38:22 <bay|Ota|FUNimation> old school fans might appreciate this
    13:38:41 <bay|Ota|FUNimation> Speed Racer
    13:39:34 <bay|Ota|FUNimation> First time on Bluray
    13:39:40 <bay|Ota|FUNimation> includes episodes never released in north america
    13:39:50 <bay|Ota|FUNimation> available in japanese (w/ english subtitles) for the first time

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/...at-otakon-2015
    Speed Racer

Coming Soon for the first time on Blu-ray! The definitive collection includes episodes never released in North America, as well as Mach GoGoGo! This release will be available in Japanese (w/ English subtitles) for the first time — stay tuned for more details!
    Last edited by WTK; 07-25-2015, 06:16 PM.

Re: FUNimation licenses Speed Racer

Amazing pickup, totally out of left field for Funimation. Crazy
    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

That is quite a shocker there, but it's great to see a show that old getting a new lease on life considering how popular it was back in the day.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
      Watching: MHA season 2, Testament SND Burst, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

It's an odd, but welcome license. Didn't Sentai have a deal with Tatsunoko? Anyway, I'll probably pick it up. It's weird to see FUNi rescue such an old series, no matter how big. It's usually Discotek, Nozomi, or Sentai that get those. Hope FUNi gets some other old shows!
        Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I want to know how this will be handled. Will the unedited version and the westernized version be in this one collection? Will they even be on the same disc? On the other hand, could Funimation remaster the original sources for a true hd picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Hrld View Post
            I want to know how this will be handled. Will the unedited version and the westernized version be in this one collection? Will they even be on the same disc? On the other hand, could Funimation remaster the original sources for a true hd picture?
            I'm not quite sure what you're asking here; it got a HD remaster in Japan, and I'm sure that's what Funi will be using. They'll probably use that footage to produce a HD release of the western version, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
              Originally posted by Hrld View Post
              I'm not quite sure what you're asking here; it got a HD remaster in Japan, and I'm sure that's what Funi will be using. They'll probably use that footage to produce a HD release of the western version, too.
              i was thinking that the Speed Racer release could go in one of two ways. First, keep all episodes in standard definition and stuff all the episodes onto a blu ray disc. The second, you mentioned, was an HD remaster. So it's likely to be an HD remaster, okay.

Comment

If they include the old dub I hope they pitch-correct it because the show had been airing sped up ever since the late 90s and IIRC, was the same way on the Lionsgate DVDs.

VERY excited for this, surprising that Sentai didn't get it but that's okay because we're still FINALLY getting an uncut release here with the original Mach GoGoGo and on Blu-ray so I'll be looking forward to buying.

Though now this leaves the question about the 90s remake series because even with them getting the original, I highly doubt FUNi would touch that show so would it be open for someone else to get?
                Last edited by NJ_; 07-25-2015, 07:27 PM.
                Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

This news is music to my ears. Instant pre-order for me.

Comment

by episodes never before relapsed hmm which series are they talking about i wonder ?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                      It's an odd, but welcome license. Didn't Sentai have a deal with Tatsunoko? Anyway, I'll probably pick it up. It's weird to see FUNi rescue such an old series, no matter how big. It's usually Discotek, Nozomi, or Sentai that get those. Hope FUNi gets some other old shows!
                      Sentai's deal is for a selection of Tatsunoko titles. Considering this is one of the highest profiled Tatsunoko title that's out there. With that said, it's still interesting that FUNimation picked an older series like this. This series has evergreen potential written all of it.

Comment

I kinda want to know if they'll re-dub it all., if there's episodes that were never released over here were those dubbed or not way back when.
                        My Anime List
                        YouTube <- I do collection Videos
                        Avatar: from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Comment

Whoa, I would have thought Sentai would get this due to their deal with Tatsunoko, but regardless, a definite pickup for me. I remember there was video on YouTube showing examples of Tatsunoko's HD remasters of their properties, and the Speed Racer segment looked great. Really looking forward to this.

Comment

Excellent news! A definite buy for me.
                            Avatar: The Amazing Spider-Man (In memory of Stan Lee)
                            FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                            Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Rhys2753 View Post
                              I kinda want to know if they'll re-dub it all., if there's episodes that were never released over here were those dubbed or not way back when.
                              I highly doubt they'd redub it. The show is 50 years old now, and I don't think there would be much interest in a new dub. But I too am wondering about the other episodes. Even though the original dub probably had some edits, I do think they at least dubbed every episode, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, it's still streaming legally on YouTube and Hulu: https://www.youtube.com/show/speedracer
                              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X