Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Discotek Media licenses Key the Metal Idol

Widgets Magazine
    I figure this would be an interesting series to have a separate thread.

Series was originally released on DVD by Viz Media (3 DVD singles and later a DVD complete collection with original soundtrack). And for the curious, rights are handled by Fuji Creative Corporation.

Some of the past license rescues that were handled by Fuji Creative Corp.:
    - Discotek Media: Flame of Recca, Ghost Stories, Great Teacher Onizuka
    - Media Blasters: Fushigi Yugi

https://twitter.com/viewster/status/624591345324142592
    Coming with Omakase: the first time airing outside of Japan, 'Key the Metal Idol' (regions coming soon)

07:30:23 <bay|Ota|Viewster> and we have a cool announcement
    07:30:30 <bay|Ota|Viewster> this is a license rescue
    07:30:32 <bay|Ota|Viewster> this title...
    07:30:52 <bay|Ota|Viewster> who has watched 80's or 90s?
    07:31:06 <bay|Ota|Viewster> this title was really awesome...and in CA, we had this crazy PBS station
    07:31:09 <bay|Ota|Viewster> this is before toonami
    07:31:29 <bay|Ota|Viewster> but one thing they had...this show..an OVA, originally released by viz but expired
    07:31:32 <bay|Ota|Viewster> Key the metal Idol
    07:31:35 <bay|Ota|Viewster> worldwide outside japan and asia
    07:31:41 <bay|Ota|Viewster> english subtitles
    07:31:43 <bay|Ota|Viewster> all 15 episodes
    07:31:49 <bay|Ota|Viewster> german subtitles if you care
    Last edited by WTK; 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM.

Re: Key the Metal Idol

It's a very strange and weird series. Surprised it's being rescued. But I guess they must figure they have a market for this.

Really must get around to selling my old Viz complete collection one of these days.

J. A.
    Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
    Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
    Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
    Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Very glad I'll get to see this. I never managed to snag a Viz copy.

Comment

I remember it as so uneven in its second half, but I still somewhat regret selling Key off years ago. (Should've kept it at least for a very fine late 90s Karl Willems Ocean dub.)

Funny thing is, with idol anime even more of a presence now, I wonder if it wouldn't do for a TV remake?
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

I'd like for Discotek to license it so we could have some better quality discs.
          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

It looks like there was a license issue until recently:

Originally posted by samuelp
            You're right. The strange and kind of unique way the show was originally funded (it had a very non-standard production committee) is what caused it to slip into licensing hell over the past years, but fairly recently (I think only 2-3 years ago max) Fuji Creative Corp. managed to assemble all the various disparate rights to it.
            So thank them for the show now being available for licensing at all again.
            Now hopefully the materials all still exist somewhere...

Comment

Episode 1 is starting to stream on Viewster: https://www.viewster.com/serie/1278-...the-metal-idol.

EDIT: looks like episode will be uploaded weekly https://twitter.com/viewster/status/652981675597656064
              Last edited by WTK; 10-10-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                Episode 1 is starting to stream on Viewster: https://www.viewster.com/serie/1278-...the-metal-idol.

EDIT: looks like episode will be uploaded weekly https://twitter.com/viewster/status/652981675597656064
                To note quickly, Viewster is calling this a "retrocast", the same thing AnimeSols called its catalog. Looks like Sam really likes that term.
                Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Does This Anime Have The OP And ED Subtitled? And Does It Have Japanese Or English Credits? Because I Want To Know!
                  BAGEL AND BECKY ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob The Lover View Post
                    Does This Anime Have The OP And ED Subtitled? And Does It Have Japanese Or English Credits? Because I Want To Know!
                    You could always just check these things yourself. It's free on Viewster after all. To answer your question, OP and ED have English lyrics. Credits are left in the original Japanese.

Comment

Re: Discotek Media licenses Key the Metal Idol

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...47168055312297
                      We picked the titles to release in February. There's some new licenses that haven't been announced yet. We will post the cover art and more information soon when it's ready.

Key the Metal Idol DVD complete series
                      Last edited by WTK; 12-13-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Happy to see this coming out. Will have to sell my Viz DVDs.
                        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

Well I think that it would be nice to upgrade VIZ DVDs with Discoteck's especially if there will be any upgrade in the quality.
                          Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Good to see this show back after Viz let it fade to oblivion for such a long time. It definitely was overdue for a rescue, and here it is.
                            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                            Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
                            Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
                            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Mazinger View Post
                              Well I think that it would be nice to upgrade VIZ DVDs with Discoteck's especially if there will be any upgrade in the quality.
                              Maybe we'll get it on fewer discs, but I imagine it'll be the same semi-dubtitle subtitle job Viz put out, including a mix of untranslated songs and dubtitled songs.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X