Widgets Magazine

Sentai Filmworks licenses Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless they change their plans about not doing a standard release, that kills my interest in this. That set is way too expensive for me.
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

• How can they make money off of a 800$ set releasing only 1000 units? and no plans for a standard edition
      AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

• Legend of the Galactic Heroes: OVAs + Films Collection (Blu-ray LE) - 4430 minutes - $799.98 - 7/24/18 [Sentai Filmworks Shop exclusive]
        - https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/pro...remium-box-set
        Japanese with English Subtitles

LIMITED QUANTITIES* Only 1000 Copies Available!
        *Our premium box sets are exclusive and limited to a set number so be sure to get your hands on this limited edition release before it's gone!!

Included in this release:
        - Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 110 Episodes
        - Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden - 52 Episodes
        - Film 1 - "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars"
        - Film 2 - "Overture to a New War"
        - Film 3 - "Golden Wings"

Unique chipboard box with magnetic clsing front lid
        The complete 162 episode series + 3 movie across 26 Blu-ray discs
        Four digipaks to contain all 26 Blu-ray discs
        Four chipboard boxes that contain the digipaks
        200 page hard cover book - series timeline, episode guide, character guide
        Free Planets Alliance and Galactic Empire double-sided metal coins
        Two 3D lenticular cards
        Uniquely serialized metal plaque - 1 of only 1000
        Last edited by WTK; 03-30-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Hopefully for those interested in the show, this Limited Edition is mostly an early attempt at recouping some of the project's production cost, with standard editions to eventually follow, whenever Sentai is contractually allowed. Otherwise, depending on how long those 1,000 units remain available, the upfront price and limited nature of the set does potentially really suck for US fans.

Beyond that, I know US companies usually have their hands somewhat tied when it comes to product design, but the look of those chip-board boxes and the goofy collector's hexagon aren't exactly screaming $800 prestige item.
          Last edited by Junker Woland; 03-30-2018, 10:21 AM.
          Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

• WTF? No standard edition? Maybe if it was dubbed, but if it's not then I'm not gonna bother with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jin12 View Post
              WTF? No standard edition? Maybe if it was dubbed, but if it's not then I'm not gonna bother with this.
              No dub.

Comment

• Originally posted by gundamcero View Post

No dub.
                Yeah a separate music and sound effects track doesn't exist for the series so they can't dub it.
                "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

• Really wish it was divided up. I was cool racking up 400 bucks for one half and then another 400 for the rest later on. I can already imagine people who watch the new LotGH going over to the original asking why there's no dub. Maybe if 4kmedia had the license they could dub it.. (sarcasm) At the expense of rabid fans who worship the original sound work.
                  Last edited by An Average Aspie; 03-30-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• If this doesn't get a standard edition I'm going to fucking riot! Seriously Sentai please just say this is going to get standard editions too. I didn't wait 3 years for a Sentai Shop exclusive the price of a second hand car. Especially since I live in the UK it would probably cost another few hundred dollars just to get this thing shipped to me, assuming I could afford it to begin with which is a HUGE IF
                    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

• I have a feeling their hands are pretty tied as far as LoGH goes. At least it?s available streaming at a reasonable price. I?m afraid this may be a repeat of IS Season Two, where a few years later, we still have no standard edition.

It?s a beautiful set, but I just can?t justify spending that kind of money on it. I guess I will just stick to streaming for now.

Comment

• Well, maybe this shouldn't be as much of a surprise as it is, thinking about it. I remember when the Japanese licensor tried to do a release of LOGH here in the US; $2000 for the entire show, and they'd release it if enough people committed to buying it at that price. And when that didn't work out, they just dropped the idea of a US release. And if they're demanding the show to only be released in an expensive complete set, that might be part of the reason it's gone so long without a license. Maybe it's a miracle that Sentai got the price down as much as they did.

Comment

• I bet this is totally Japan related. But if it is then why did Sentai even bother? I mean sure that sounds ungrateful but seriously all they've done is disappoint a ton of Anime fans. I've hated the fact that the US and Japan have shared the same zone code, it's led to so much turmoil for the US Anime industry and this is yet another one of those moments.

Which really leads me to asking why Sentai couldn't have done a DVD release also at standard pricing?? I mean the Blu Rays are upscales anyway so I would have totally have supported DVDs if they were done also.
                          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

• if you're going to order this make sure you read/understand Sentai's preorder charge policy
                            When will I be billed for a preorder?

For your security we do not store credit card information. This prevents us from being able to store and charge a credit card at a future date. As a result, you will be charged for a preorder at the time that you submit your request for purchase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raffy View Post
                              if you're going to order this make sure you read/understand Sentai's preorder charge policy
                              HAHAHAHA! Seriously what the hell? Not even a payment plan option or anything (Expensive figures/dolls a third of the price get payment plans). I can't believe how much Sentai have f**ked this up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                                Well, maybe this shouldn't be as much of a surprise as it is, thinking about it. I remember when the Japanese licensor tried to do a release of LOGH here in the US; $2000 for the entire show, and they'd release it if enough people committed to buying it at that price. And when that didn't work out, they just dropped the idea of a US release. And if they're demanding the show to only be released in an expensive complete set, that might be part of the reason it's gone so long without a license. Maybe it's a miracle that Sentai got the price down as much as they did.
                                http://www.animenation.net/ask-john-...oes-in-america (May 11, 2004)

clipped post from John...
                                There are a number of reasons why the Legend of Galactic Heroes (LoGH) series has yet to be officially released in English including its length, its Japanese popularity, and its genre. LoGH is a long anime series consisting of over 150 OAVs and two motion pictures. Considering its length, and the fact that the majority of the animation was in OAV (direct to home video format) instead of TV broadcast format, it may be presumed that LoGH is an imposing license. Because they don't have TV sponsorship to help defray their production costs, OAVs tend to be more expensive to produce, and by result, license for translation. An OAV can cost double or more what a similar anime TV series episode may cost to license for English language release.

The hope of LoGH being officially released in America, though, is not entirely displaced. While no domestic distributor has ever hinted at considering licensing LoGH, the series' Japanese distributor, and the executive staff behind the anime, have made steps toward bringing the series to American viewers. English dubbed sample episodes have screened at American conventions, and Japanese licensor Wright Staff, Ltd. has opened a poll seeking 1,500 American consumers willing to spend roughly $2,000 on an American DVD release. As of October 2003, Wright Staff announced after leaving the poll open for nearly 4 months, that they still not gathered even 1,500 pledges of support from American fans, but that the responses they'd received had been positive enough to encourage them to consider a limited edition American release. In the 6 months since then, there?s been no word on the status of a possible American release for LoGH.
                                EDIT: http://4NN.cx/.6589 (October 4, 2003)
                                According to a message posted to the Legend of Galactic Heroes mailing list on behalf of producers of LoGH, "hundreds" of North American fans have pledged to purchase a limited edition English-subtitled LoGH DVD box set if and when one is made available. While the total number of pledges received is still "somewhat short" of the goal of 1,500 necessary before production will be considered, Wright Staff Co., which holds the overseas distribution rights for LoGH, is convinced the goal will be met. The Japanese release of the series retails for Y231,000 (approximately $1925). If an R1 release will take place, Wright Staff is "pretty confident" a price point of $1700 can be set.
                                Last edited by WTK; 03-30-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X