X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Funimation licenses Dragon Ball Super

Widgets Magazine
    Another speculation thread...

Hastings ran a FUNimation only email promo blast (email blast screenshot only since direct URL won't link correctly) on June 22. It lists a number of FUNimation series. The very top of the email blasts mentions Dragon Ball Super very briefly.
    After 18 years, the new series

Dragonball Super

is coming this July.

Get ready with the coolest gear here >
    Did Hastings jump the gun? Probably. But they are not known to run email anime blasts of any kind.

Then again, it's really matter of when before FUNimation announce this is. The question may be will it be announced this summer (streaming on time or close to it) or later on as just home video release (Dragon Ball Z Kai wasn't streamed).

Re: Hint of FUNimation already acquiring Dragon Ball Super?

Huh, interesting. I wonder why Funimation wouldn't have announced it yet if they are gonna simulcast it, doesn't it start pretty darn soon?

And why would Hastings know before anyone else? Hastings of anyone?

Comment

I'm thinking simuldub. FUNimation can and will find a way to make that work. It may not be on Toonami, but I'm thinking it will at least be streamed. If that happens, guess who's finally getting an elite subscription!
      Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
        Huh, interesting. I wonder why Funimation wouldn't have announced it yet if they are gonna simulcast it, doesn't it start pretty darn soon?
        Well Anime Expo happens before so maybe they were saving it to be announced there? Given it will be no surprise to anyone anyway that they have it perhaps they felt like saving it for the expo just for fun?
        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
          Well Anime Expo happens before so maybe they were saving it to be announced there? Given it will be no surprise to anyone anyway that they have it perhaps they felt like saving it for the expo just for fun?
          ...or they could be saving it for Otakon (given how the English voice actors of Goku and Vegeta will be at that con and Funi has had a major announcement bombshell at Otakon the past three years).
          Joseph Klemm
          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

A simuldub would be wicked. I would normally say a Toonami showing would be great as well, but it'd probably be better if Kai finishes first. That also begs the questions if they're just going to jump straight into the Buu saga of Kai when Cell ends, which I'm assuming they will. Didn't Funi recently make a "stay tuned for more details very soon" comment towards the English dub for Buu saga of Kai? I'm hoping we get some news about that at Otakon in addition to Kai.
            Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Well, it's now July and the show starts in 4 days. FUNi has to be saving this for Otakon. I can't imagine this show not being picked up by anyone for streaming, even if it does begin with a recap of the two recent films...

Comment

I'm hoping for both DBZ Kai Buu and Super license announcements myself, that would be out of this world :D.
                My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Comment

Dragon Ball Super topic was briefly discussed in this IGN interview @ SDCC with Justin Cook. It's pretty much the usual non-answer but it does look like FUNimation is working on it.

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Interview - Comic-Con 2015

Comment

I cannot believe this show wasn't even picked up for streaming by anybody. Not even Crunchyroll could get it? It's freaking DRAGON BALL Z. Almost every other anime out is being streamed by SOMEONE, no matter how obscure. The western markets are a huge and important market for this franchise too. Now fansubs are the only option to watch the show.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                      I cannot believe this show wasn't even picked up for streaming by anybody. Not even Crunchyroll could get it? It's freaking DRAGON BALL Z. Almost every other anime out is being streamed by SOMEONE, no matter how obscure. The western markets are a huge and important market for this franchise too. Now fansubs are the only option to watch the show.
                      This is just my prediction, but I'm willing to bet that Funimation probably has a broadcast deal with someone (Nicktoons, Disney, Cartoon Network, etc) for Dragon Ball Super, but the broadcaster wants US premiere rights, which makes Funi unable to simulcast it because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneeyedjacks View Post
                        Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                        This is just my prediction, but I'm willing to bet that Funimation probably has a broadcast deal with someone (Nicktoons, Disney, Cartoon Network, etc) for Dragon Ball Super, but the broadcaster wants US premiere rights, which makes Funi unable to simulcast it because of that.
                        Wouldn't it have been announced though? Like a simuldub with Toonami?

Comment

Wouldn't it have been announced though? Like a simuldub with Toonami?
                          I would assume the broadcaster has to fit it into their schedule, which could be a months long wait, and they don't want to announce it until closer to broadcast date.

When it comes to a simulcasting and simul-dubbing, in terms of audience potential, I don't think they're necessary for anything Dragonball related. The purpose of simulcasting and simul-dubbing is to maximize the potential audience revenue asap. Because if not, they just go to piracy, and after a few months the show is mostly forgotten about due to the insane disposability of most anime. The Dragonball franchise has huge longevity power. Audiences are still going to care about it after several months or even years. Waiting a few months to broadcast Dragonball super isn't going to hurt its potential audience.
                          Last edited by Oneeyedjacks; 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Maybe they'll announce it at Otakon?
                            Avatar: Rokuro "Rock" Okajima from Black Lagoon
                            Watching: Dagashi Kashi
                            Reading: School-Live!
                            Streaming: Space Patrol Luluco & My Hero Academia
                            Waiting For: Squid Girl Season 2, Monster Musume & Konosuba

Comment

Originally posted by Skullman View Post
                              Maybe they'll announce it at Otakon?
                              That really depends on whether or not Funimation has started negotiations with Toei to distribute the show.

While I'm not holding my breath, I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement actually does happen at Otakon (given how Funi usually saves a major bombshell for Otakon weekend).
                              Joseph Klemm
                              "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                              Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                              Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                              Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels