Widgets Magazine

Sound! Euphonium franchise (TV series via PONYCAN USA / select movies via ELEVEN ARTS x Shout! Factory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Sound! Euphonium franchise (TV series via PONYCAN USA / select movies via ELEVEN ARTS x Shout! Factory)

Widgets Magazine
    Note: prefix tag is placeholder!

http://4NN.cx/.86707
    Animation production company and North American localizer Pony Canyon USA announced at its panel at Sakura-Con on Friday that it will localize Kyoto Animation's Sound! Euphonium, Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, and the Lance N' Masques television series and the Garakowa (Vitreous Flower & Destroy the World) anime film. PonyCan stated there are plans to dub all the series in English, but it depends on each title's performance.
    ---EDIT (above)---

It's looking like a sure thing that PONYCAN USA is involved with the series in some way. Rights though is to be determined (maybe at upcoming Sakura-Con). They are also tweeting about the series (see below). There is also the website (http://anime-eupho.us/) that is registered to Pony Canyon.

https://twitter.com/PONYCANUSA/statu...29392091402240 (March 30th)
    Anime Spotlight - Sound! Euphonium (Hibike! Euphonium) http://4NN.cx/.86145 Check it out this Spring 2015 season!
    Last edited by WTK; 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM.

Re: PONYCAN USA licenses Sound! Euphonium ?

Hmm... I'll have to see how this all turns out. How much I like the series, what PONYCAN's releases are like, prices, etc. It is the new Ishihara show, so I am looking forward to it...
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Noooooooooooooo! Oh wait there's a question mark. I am hoping for a reasonbly priced standard edition - yeah really hoping Discotek, Funimation, NISA or Sentai pulls through. I wasn't in band, but I like how on other forums the band geeks are all coming out.

Comment

My track record with Kyoto Animation series is pretty good, so I can pretty much chalk myself up for liking this. But, even though I saw it coming, I'm not too happy about PONYCAN presumably getting this.

I really hope they don't release this in singles like they are doing for Denki-Gai or Yuki Yuna. I won't be paying 70+ for 4 episodes in an odd large dvd case. At least AoA spices up their releases a little bit. Like with Kill la Kill, you get the same number of episodes basically, but with more extras, a dub, and a generally nicer set. All that for 10 dollars less than PONYCAN singles of those two series. Considering the studio involved here, Sound! Euphonium may be more popular, which could warrant a different style of set. But, I don't really have much to go by other than the two series PONYCAN has already solicited, and that's not really a good record to go by so far.

Well it's not finalized yet, but all signs are pointing to them having this. I'd possibly shell out the money if I like it, but certainly not if they're going to release it in the same fashion as Denki-Gai or Yuki Yuna.

After my experience with A-1 Pictures -> Aniplex -> Aniplex of America, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into Kyoto Animation -> Pony Canyon -> PONYCAN USA. That would be a killer for me.
        Avatar: Tomo Takino - Azumanga Daioh

Comment

I'm kind of sad that this may mean an overpriced domestic release which I'll have to pass on if I like the show and would have bought it at something closer to a reasonable price. We have no indication that PC is releasing regular editions later on at all, do we? While it may make sense to all of us that that will eventually happen…that doesn't guarantee they do it since consumer "sense" and producer "sense" are not at all the same thing.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
            I'm kind of sad that this may mean an overpriced domestic release which I'll have to pass on if I like the show and would have bought it at something closer to a reasonable price. We have no indication that PC is releasing regular editions later on at all, do we? While it may make sense to all of us that that will eventually happen…that doesn't guarantee they do it since consumer "sense" and producer "sense" are not at all the same thing.
            I honestly wish PCUSA's singles were more 'loaded' for the price they're going for for each. Compared to what AoA included in their LE of Madoka and Sentai's CE for Love, Chuunibyou, & Other Delusions, their products so far just come off as a bit hollow for me sadly(keeping in mind that key frames are a pre-order bonus only). You can imagine my disappointment of the VN not being included in their Yuki Yuna singles.

But oh well, if PCUSA does pick this up at least it's likely that my region will be taken into consideration for overseas streaming, which honestly is more important to me right now than whatever they'll bring over to home video if you ask me.

Comment

Let's not hit the panic button until things are 100% confirmed, shall we? For all we know, this is the same kind of weirdness that seemed to happen with Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE.

Comment

I hope its Ponycan since if it truly does have as fantastic music as the series implies then Ponycan USA would most likely give us the music...I hope.
                AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

I guess this means it'll be on Crunchyroll, since Denki-Ga and Yuki Yuna are on it.
                  Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Student no.0 View Post
                    Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                    I honestly wish PCUSA's singles were more 'loaded' for the price they're going for for each. Compared to what AoA included in their LE of Madoka and Sentai's CE for Love, Chuunibyou, & Other Delusions, their products so far just come off as a bit hollow for me sadly(keeping in mind that key frames are a pre-order bonus only). You can imagine my disappointment of the VN not being included in their Yuki Yuna singles.

But oh well, if PCUSA does pick this up at least it's likely that my region will be taken into consideration for overseas streaming, which honestly is more important to me right now than whatever they'll bring over to home video if you ask me.
                    Any NA distributor is limited to what is produced in Japan for any special edition. Excluding the visual novels and artbook, you are getting everything in the JP Yuki Yuna singles that the JP side had in the sets released by PonyCan USA. Sentai excluded a ton of bonus footage/commentaries in the Chuunibyo set (likely due to expenses, they're a cheap company) for additional artwork already provided from the license (coincidentally by Pony Canyon/KyoAni). Aniplex included everything from the JP packaging (excluding the commentaries) for their sets. Before you complain about things not being equal, it helps to look at what was done on the Japanese releases to see "oh, are we getting everything?" since all JP releases are not equal.

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
                    I hope its Ponycan since if it truly does have as fantastic music as the series implies then Ponycan USA would most likely give us the music...I hope.
                    Lantis will be releasing the music for this title. PonyCan USA has released discs which they had the rights to in Japan, so it is unlikely they would be releasing those in any physical release. Not impossible as Bandai did for Haruhi/Lucky Star, but it's an additional cost that may not be worth it.
                    "It'd be great if you could call me by the katakana pronunciation."
                    "The kanji pronunciation is the same as the katakana one."
                    Posting thoughts, reviews, and personal favorites at my personal blog.

Comment

I have the feeling that they will announce this show at Sakuracon this weekend. Since it doesn't begin airing until Tuesday that they have time to wait until then. Anyway, I'm not expecting this to be another Your Lie in April, but it should be another nice KyoAni production. That said, it's just sad that they are deciding to not only take the Aniplex approach to releasing stuff, but to do it without taking into consideration the way Funimation, Sentai, NISA, and Viz do business.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
                      Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
                      Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatemegax View Post
                        Any NA distributor is limited to what is produced in Japan for any special edition.Excluding the visual novels and artbook, you are getting everything in the JP Yuki Yuna singles that the JP side had in the sets released by PonyCan USA. Sentai excluded a ton of bonus footage/commentaries in the Chuunibyo set (likely due to expenses, they're a cheap company) for additional artwork already provided from the license (coincidentally by Pony Canyon/KyoAni). Aniplex included everything from the JP packaging (excluding the commentaries) for their sets.
                        I know, and I'm saying it's a bummer that one of the few things excluded happened to be one the features (the visual novels particularly) I'd be most interested in seeing localized in some form here. I used AoA's Madoka LE and Sentai's Chu2koi CE(even though quite cheaper than what I was expecting it to be for what they're offering) as examples of CE's that included content that I feel justifies the pricing scheme more for their home video release.
                        Which footage and extras are you specifically referring to for Sentai's Chu2koi set exactly? What you're saying it lacks is seems to be included on the set according TRSI's site:
                        http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...m/103258/4/0/0
                        This collector's edition contains episodes 1-13 plus an eye patch; stickers; postcards; a keychain; and a 152-page art booklet packed with character information, commentary with the Japanese director and actors, and more.
                        Special Features: Chuni-Shorts, Japanese Promos, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation.
                        And as for that Yuki Yuna artbook, are you not referring to the deluxe booklet(that might include some artwork if this is the one) already included in PCUSA's upcoming Yuki Yuna single? The promo image on amazonJP and CDJapan for the first PCJP single only displays one booklet that seems to fit what you're talking about (and since the JP booklet for each JP single is 12 pages, it seems obvious that PCUSA is putting two booklets together each for each of their US singles). The product description on CDJapan doesn't seem to explicitly mention one either, though it could be likely that I'm missing that detail on AmazonJP's description since it's hard to make out on Google translate:

CDJAPAN:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PCXG-50451

New TV anime series directed by Seiji Kishi ("Persona 4 the ANIMATION") and original characters designed by BUNBUN comes on Blu-ray! Includes special package (192mm X 192mm) and illustrated digipak. Also comes with 12-page booklet, 180mm big booklet (12 pages), and an application card (valid only in Japan).
                        This is assuming that "180mm" part isn't describing the size of the booklet but a separate one. Been trying to find that old PCJP unboxing vid for their Yuki Yuna single to find that artbook, but to no avail so far (but if you or anyone else happens to have a link to it, I would be super grateful).
                        Before you complain about things not being equal, it helps to look at what was done on the Japanese releases to see "oh, are we getting everything?" since all JP releases are not equal.
                        You're absolutely right, and I admit I didn't throughly look into Madoka's or Chu2koi's JP releases when using them as examples. Sadly it's as you say, some JP extras just aren't going to make it over stateside some reason or the other (be it licensing issues or being able to pay for the license of those extras if I got that right). It is what it is for now, and in the end I'd do well to remember that PCUSA just got themselves into the NA market directly with their home video releases anyway. It seems it was a poor choice of words to use the word 'loaded', which could've given the idea I was expecting CE's as thick as Chu2koi's for each single, when my main disappointment came from the lack of VN localization and getting my hopes a little too high for it. Thanks for your post, and thanks to anyone in advance that can answer my doubts as stated above (but if anyone does, best do so in a VM/PM or in the PCUSA thread so it doesn't stray off-topic I imagine).

Comment

Any NA distributor is limited to what is produced in Japan for any special edition.Excluding the visual novels and artbook, you are getting everything in the JP Yuki Yuna singles that the JP side had in the sets released by PonyCan USA. Sentai excluded a ton of bonus footage/commentaries in the Chuunibyo set (likely due to expenses, they're a cheap company) for additional artwork already provided from the license (coincidentally by Pony Canyon/KyoAni). Aniplex included everything from the JP packaging (excluding the commentaries) for their sets.
                          I know, and I'm saying it's a bummer that one of the few things excluded happened to be one the features (the visual novels particularly) I'd be most interested in seeing localized in some form here. I used AoA's Madoka LE and Sentai's Chu2koi CE(even though quite cheaper than what I was expecting it to be for what they're offering) as examples of CE's that included content that I feel justifies the pricing scheme more for their home video release.
                          Which footage and extras are you specifically referring to for Sentai's Chu2koi set exactly? What you're saying it lacks is seems to be included on the set according TRSI's site:
                          http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...m/103258/4/0/0
                          This collector's edition contains episodes 1-13 plus an eye patch; stickers; postcards; a keychain; and a 152-page art booklet packed with character information, commentary with the Japanese director and actors, and more.
                          Special Features: Chuni-Shorts, Japanese Promos, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation.
                          The Japanese Chuunibyou Blu-rays included a new short (not the Lite episodes) animation on each set ("Depth of Field ~ A Tale of Love and Hatred"), a feature detailing the animation process to the main 4 seiyuu on each set, additional features showing the preview screening (2 kinds) and live radio recording events, teaser video, and commentaries from staff/cast (2 kinds) on each episode. Essentially, Sentai only licensed the 13 episodes, the "episode" of the Lite shorts, textless OP/ED, and previews. None of the bonus content on the discs were included.

And as for that Yuki Yuna artbook, are you not referring to the deluxe booklet(that might include some artwork if this is the one) already included in PCUSA's upcoming Yuki Yuna single? The promo image on amazonJP and CDJapan for the first PCJP single only displays one booklet that seems to fit what you're talking about (and since the JP booklet for each JP single is 12 pages, it seems obvious that PCUSA is putting two booklets together each for each of their US singles). The product description on CDJapan doesn't seem to explicitly mention one either, though it could be likely that I'm missing that detail on AmazonJP's description since it's hard to make out on Google translate:

CDJAPAN:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PCXG-50451

New TV anime series directed by Seiji Kishi ("Persona 4 the ANIMATION") and original characters designed by BUNBUN comes on Blu-ray! Includes special package (192mm X 192mm) and illustrated digipak. Also comes with 12-page booklet, 180mm big booklet (12 pages), and an application card (valid only in Japan).
                          This is assuming that "180mm" part isn't describing the size of the booklet but a separate one. Been trying to find that old PCJP unboxing vid for their Yuki Yuna single to find that artbook, but to no avail so far (but if you or anyone else happens to have a link to it, I would be super grateful).
                          The bonus items for Yuki Yuna's JP BDs are as follows:
                          v1: Bonus visual novel
                          v2: Bonus vocal CD (included in NA v1)
                          v3: Bonus artbook featuring illustrations drawn by Bunbun, the original character designer
                          v4: Bonus soundtrack CD (included in NA v2)
                          v5: Bonus vocal CD (likely included in NA v3)
                          v6: Bonus visual novel

Each volume comes with the new art from Bunbun on the cover, new art from the anime character designer on the inside of the packaging, and the 12 pg booklet (which is the 180 mm booklet mentioned by CD Japan. PONYCAN USA is including all of that (Bunbun art on the cover/reverse, new anime art on posters, booklet equivalent), but is not including the visual novels or artbook. They're including everything on the disc (OP/ED, commercials) except for the previews (may be included, but not listed anywhere). It's about as good of a LE as anyone could produce for the market given the JP contents.

(We're actually getting an equivalent with Denki-gai as it's a digipak w/booklet and drama CD. That's it.)

Before you complain about things not being equal, it helps to look at what was done on the Japanese releases to see "oh, are we getting everything?" since all JP releases are not equal.
                          You're absolutely right, and I admit I didn't throughly look into Madoka's or Chu2koi's JP releases when using them as examples. Sadly it's as you say, some JP extras just aren't going to make it over stateside some reason or the other (be it licensing issues or being able to pay for the license of those extras if I got that right). It is what it is for now, and in the end I'd do well to remember that PCUSA just got themselves into the NA market directly with their home video releases anyway. It seems it was a poor choice of words to use the word 'loaded', which could've given the idea I was expecting CE's as thick as Chu2koi's for each single, when my main disappointment came from the lack of VN localization and getting my hopes a little too high for it. Thanks for your post, and thanks to anyone in advance that can answer my doubts as stated above (but if anyone does, best do so in a VM/PM or in the PCUSA thread so it doesn't stray off-topic I imagine).
                          Honestly, the NA market is likely in for a treat given the production staff for Euphonium (see, tying it back to the thread). The KyoAni producer is Oohashi and the Pony Canyon producer is Nakamura (who've worked on the Chuunibyou BDs in Japan). The JP discs will likely have a short (everything but Free! has had an anime short included on every disc and Free! S1 had a short on v1/3/5), perhaps a production feature (though unlikely given that Tamako had the most recent one), commentaries (something not included on any other title PONYCAN USA has a license for), informative booklets (the KyoAni/Pony booklets actually go into production information, not just designs/episode info like other ones), and a lot of artwork (Chuunibyou had new artboards and eyecatch postcards, Tamako had newly drawn postcards, Kyoukai had new digipak artwork and postcards, and Free! had newly drawn replacement covers/endcard postcards). These LEs will likely be up to your standard of "packed" because the JP side is already packed unlike a lot of other shows.

(Note: the CTFK series were sold by Kyoto Animation and the respective committees for each show and were distributed by Pony Canyon. Both KyoAni and Pony Canyon had hands in designing the packaging as stated by Nakamura at a stage greeting following a screening of Tamako Love Story last October.)
                          "It'd be great if you could call me by the katakana pronunciation."
                          "The kanji pronunciation is the same as the katakana one."
                          Posting thoughts, reviews, and personal favorites at my personal blog.

Comment

^Awesome.
                            Lantis will be releasing the music for this title. PonyCan USA has released discs which they had the rights to in Japan, so it is unlikely they would be releasing those in any physical release. Not impossible as Bandai did for Haruhi/Lucky Star, but it's an additional cost that may not be worth it.
                            Even if they don't release the OST physically, perhaps it'll likely be on iTunes? I found Denki-gai character songs and Yuki Yuna OSTS +other songs just recently there.

Comment

^Awesome.
                              Even if they don't release the OST physically, perhaps it'll likely be on iTunes? I found Denki-gai character songs and Yuki Yuna OSTS +other songs just recently there.
                              So far, theme songs for all three of Pony Canyon USA's titles (Denki-gai, Yuki Yuna, and Binan Love) are on iTunes, so I can expect to see it coming for Etotama and Sound Euphonium in the near future. In this day of age, I prefer to have all of my music digitally.
                              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
                              Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
                              Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X