Widgets Magazine

Aniplex of America licenses Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Aniplex of America licenses Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Widgets Magazine
    via PR... | Saekano-How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend- Streaming Announcement
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 17, 2014

Aniplex of America Acquires New Winter Season Title:
    “Saekano:How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend”

From the Director of ORESHURA and thestudioA-1 Pictures Comes a New Romantic Comedy with an Unexpected Heroine!

SANTA MONICA, CA (December 17, 2014) – Aniplex of America, Inc. just announced that they have acquired “Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend,” for this upcoming winter season. Originally a popular light novel series written by author Fumiaki Maruto, the anime adaptation of “Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend” will be directed by Kanta Kamei (ORESHURA, Nanana’s Buried Treasure) and produced by A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online II, Blue Exorcist, OREIMO 2). Aniplex of America has also confirmed that this series will begin its simulcast schedule on January 8, 2015 and will be available for fans to stream onthe Aniplex Channel (www.AniplexChannel.com), Crunchyroll (www.crunchyroll.com), and Hulu (www.Hulu.com). The specific time the show will simulcast will be announced at a later date. The official U.S. homepage for “Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend” has also launched today and fans can get detailed information regarding this series before the series premiere at: www.SAEKANO.com

The story of “Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend”revolves around Tomoya Aki,an otaku high school student who wasworking part-timeto raise enough funds for an anime Blu-ray. One day, heis captivated by a girl heencounters while walking down a hilladorned with beautiful cherry blossom petals. Unable to take his mind off of this girl, Tomoyadecides that he will develop his original dating simulation game with this girl as the model for the heroine! To Tomoya’s surprise, the girl of his dreams turns out to be none other thanhis classmate, Megumi Kato, a girl that can only be described as “extremelynormal.”Can a game heroine modeled after a girl like Megumi be desirablefor the game players? Tomoya ventures to recruit a group of eccentric girls around him to make this project a success. But, he will soonrealize that things are usually easier said than done—withso many hurdles along theway, and incompatible team members will the game even see the light of day?! “Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend”is a unique romantic comedy series that will introduce a new type of anime heroine.

The series will feature an all-star cast with many fan-favorite voice actorsincludingYoshitsugu Matsuoka (Sword Art Online, Magi: The Kingdom of Magic), Ai Kayano (ORESHURA, Anohana: The Movie), Chinatsu Akasaki (ORESHURA), Saori Onishi (The irregular at magic high school) and Testuya Kakihara (GURRENLAGANN, Blue Exorcist).

About Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
    One day, an otaku high school student Tomoya Aki has a fateful encounter with a girl amidst the beautiful cherry blossom trees. This meeting inspires Tomoya to design his very own“gal-game”(dating-simulation video game) featuring a heroine modeled after the girl he saw. In order to make his desire a reality, Tomoya must persuade a few eccentric “creators”such as the ace member of the art club, Eriri Spencer Sawamura and the school’s top student, Utaha Kasumigaoka to join his development team. Meanwhile, Tomoya is shocked to learn that the girl he idolized as his muse for this whole project was none other than his boring classmate, Megumi Kato!

But, this doesn’t dissuade Tomoya. He is determined to give Megumi a total make-over within his game and raise her to be the absolute girlfriend that every man desires…!

For detailed information, please visit: www.SAEKANO.com

STAFF
    Original Story: Fumiaki Maruto (KADOKAWA Fantasia Bunko Fujimi Shobo BC)
    Original Character Design: Kurehito Misaki
    Director: Kanta Kamei
    Series Composition/ Script: Fumiaki Maruto
    Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Tomoaki Takase
    Art Director: Natsuki Kusakabe
    Art Settings: Eiko Tsunado
    Color Design: Kanako Hokari
    Director of Photography: Yuichiro Tozawa
    Editing: Akari Saito
    Sound Director: Akiko Fujita
    Music: Hajime Hyakkoku (F.M.F)
    Production: A-1 Pictures

CAST
    Tomoya Aki: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
    Eriri Spencer Sawamura: Saori Onishi
    Utaha Kasumigaoka: Ai Kayano
    Megumi Kato: Kiyono Yasuno
    Michiru Hyodo: Sayuri Yahagi
    Izumi Hashima: Chinatsu Akasaki
    Iori Hashima: Tetsuya Kakihara
    Last edited by WTK; 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM.

Re: Aniplex of America licenses Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

So I guess this is another unusual season with both shows airing on the Noitamina block being handled by Aniplex. Headaches ahead if I happen to want a domestic home video release, but I've been safe from wanting an Aniplex TV series for a while now, so maybe that streak will continue anyway.

Comment

What's slightly hilarious about this whole thing is that most of the heroines of otaku dreams (as seen in games, manga, light novels and their anime adaptations) are all quite boring. In this case, he thinks his classmate whom he briefly idolized is boring and he's going to make her more interesting in his game…but depending on how this goes, he could wind up just creating another boring idealized galge heroine.

I have not seen anything about the original, so don't know what direction it goes, but there is the opportunity for some biting satire and commentary on the whole culture here…or it can just be a pander job attempting to milk the same old sources of income. So, I'm at least interested in seeing which direction this goes (but suspect it will be the latter).
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I've read a bit of the manga adaptation and liked it enough to give this a try.

Gonna have to be careful not to confuse it with Saikano, which also got licensed today.
        Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The IDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
          Gonna have to be careful not to confuse it with Saikano, which also got licensed today.
          Such an amusing coincidence that the announcements from different companies happened like that...

Comment

So... The one about raising 'A boring girlfriend' is pronounced the same as the one about having 'The Ultimate Weapon' girlfriend.
            That's amusing

Comment

That was expected out of Aniplex since they are on the production team. First Saikano gets rescued by Sentai, and moments later, Saekano gets announced to make for two shows that almost sound alike. I'll be checking this one out, and while it's one of the shows that I'm looking forward to in the winter, I'll keep my expectations in check seeing how shows set up like this usually fail somewhere in a big way.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
              Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Sylontack View Post
                So... The one about raising 'A boring girlfriend' is pronounced the same as the one about having 'The Ultimate Weapon' girlfriend.
                That's amusing
                Saekano
                Saikano

The Japanese "e" and "i" sounds are not equivalent, so they're not pronounced exactly the same. Not that they're not close enough to be amusing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                  Originally posted by Sylontack View Post
                  That's amusing
                  Saekano
                  Saikano

The Japanese "e" and "i" sounds are not equivalent, so they're not pronounced exactly the same. Not that they're not close enough to be amusing, though.
                  Yeah I understand that they're not pronounced the same, but in terms of it being lazily pronounced with an English tongue there's little difference. Was taking a little bit of liberty to make the joke because I still find it more hilarious than it probably is

Comment

Streaming URLs:
                    - Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/saekano-h...ng-girlfriend-
                    - Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/saekano-how-to-r...ing-girlfriend

Comment

http://www.saekano.com/bd-dvd/

- http://www.rightstufanime.com/Saekano-Set-1-Blu-ray
                      - http://www.rightstufanime.com/Saekano-Set-2-Blu-ray
                      Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Blu-ray 1

Release Date
                      - Coming 3/29/2016

Disc Spec
                      - Spoken Language: Japanese
                      - Subtitles: English
                      - Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
                      - Episodes: Episodes #0-#5 (6 episodes)
                      - Number of Disc: 2 Discs
                      - Total Run Time: 150 min.
                      - Rating: 13 UP

Price
                      - SRP: $74.98
                      - Retail Price: $59.98

Bonus Contents
                      - Web Previews

Bonus Contents
                      - Illustration Post Cards
                      - Package Illustrated by Kurehito Misaki (Original Character Design)
                      - Clear BD Cases with 2-sided Wraps
                      Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Blu-ray 2

Release Date
                      - Coming 5/31/2016

Disc Spec
                      - Spoken Language: Japanese
                      - Subtitles: English
                      - Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
                      - Episodes: Episodes #6-#12 (7 episodes)
                      - Number of Disc: 2 Discs
                      - Total Run Time: 175 min.
                      - Rating: 13 UP

Price
                      - SRP: $89.98
                      - Retail Price: $69.98

Bonus Contents
                      - Web Previews

Bonus Contents
                      - Illustration Post Cards
                      - Package Illustrated by Kurehito Misaki (Original Character Design)
                      - Clear BD Cases with 2-sided Wraps
                      Last edited by WTK; 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Re: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend, Vol.1

Just illustration cards? Not even a staple of either soundtrack CDs or a booklet? What a wonderful Japanese experience Aniplex. (And it did get CDs and booklets in Japan) This just makes this "collector's edition" type release more like a regular release just with one extra in it. This is yet another low AOA hits. Is AOA taking lessons from Funimation on how barebones to make their releases? At least now Funi is somewhat picking up the slack with the recent FMA CE release and some of their other upcoming ones but come on AOA. Way to make what could've been a special release that some of the big Saekano fans would've wanted into something that's just not special at all.

Comment

Cool, though would've been really nice if they included the soundtracks that came with the JP volumes.

Comment

There are a few things I'm displeased with regarding the release details, but those are things I've come to expect of Aniplex, and it could be worse (they've had plenty of barer DVD-only releases in the past, and recently shifted that to not releasing series at all). It's reasonable enough to where I'll probably get this, particularly with nothing really tempting in Sentai's and FUNimation's slates in the next few months.

Comment

Re: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend, Vol.1

Originally posted by RTSBPhoenix View Post
                              Just illustration cards? Not even a staple of either soundtrack CDs or a booklet? What a wonderful Japanese experience Aniplex.
                              Maybe they're taking their cue from the title..."how to release a boring blu-ray."

It is pathetic. The best way to get the message across is to not buy.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X