X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] Funimation SimulDub initiative

Widgets Magazine
    via PR...
    Flower Mound, TX - (10/29/14) - FUNimation announced today the start of a new initiative--the FUNimation Broadcast Dub. Fans will soon be able to watch the English dubbed episodes of select shows that are currently broadcasting in Japan. FUNimation has experience with broadcast dubs, having had previous success dubbing the hit series Space Dandy for U.S. broadcast on Adult Swim. FUNimation Broadcast Dubs will be available exclusively for FUNimation subscribers commercial-free and streaming in 1080 HD.

Currently, new episodes are simulcast with Japanese audio and English subtitles shortly after the original broadcast in Japan. Once the series has finished simulcasting, final materials are received from Japan and work begins on the English dubbed home video release.

However, with this new initiative, select series will be dubbed into English using the broadcast/simulcast materials from Japan just weeks after broadcast. When asked why the company has decided to launch FUNimation Broadcast Dubs, founder and president Gen Fukunaga replied, "We know that anime fans have a strong interest in English dubs, so we are doing everything we can to get them to the fans as soon as possible.”

Following the release of the FUNimation Broadcast Dub, FUNimation will continue to produce a final English dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release, using materials from Japan’s DVD/Blu-ray release. This final version can be different from the broadcast version, including uncut footage not seen in the broadcast.

Two shows have been chosen from the current Fall 2014 season to launch the initiative--Laughing Under the Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2.

Fans will be able to watch Episode 1 of Laughing Under the Clouds in English on November 1st at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT on http://funimation.com/laughing-under-the-clouds. A new episode will be released every Saturday at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT. New episodes in Japanese with English subtitles are released every Friday at 2:28pm ET shortly after broadcast in Japan.

Series synopsis:

When swords were outlawed in the eleventh year of the Meiji era, the mighty samurai population began to dwindle. Those who rejected the ban on blades rebelled, causing violent unrest to erupt throughout the countryside. To combat the rise in criminal activity, an inescapable lake prison was constructed. Three young men, born of the Kumo line, were given the duty of delivering criminals to their place of confinement – but could there be more to their mission than meets the eye?

Episode 1 of Psycho-Pass 2 will be available in English on November 8th at 1:00pm ET/ 12:00pm CT on http://funimation.com/psycho-pass. A new episode will be released every Saturday at 1:00pm ET/ 12:00pm CT. New episodes in Japanese with English subtitles are available every Thursday at 12:50pm ET/ 11:50am CT shortly after broadcast in Japan.

Series synopsis:

Inspector Akane Tsunemori and her comrades at the Criminal Investigation Department return for the mind-blowing continuation of the popular sci-fi series set in a world where the justice system can read your mind – and justice is dispensed from the barrel of a gun. Pick up after the dramatic conclusion to season one, and see what happens to Akane after she learns the truth about the Sibyl System!

For more information about FUNimation Broadcast Dubs, check our interview on the Nerdist at http://nerdist.com.

Not a FUNimation subscriber yet? Sign up today for the FUNimation Streaming Service and get full access to:

- The hottest new & returning simulcasts every season
    - English dubs for select series while still broadcasting in Japan
    - The largest selection of English dubs online
    - HD commercial-free streaming episodes
    - Video content across your computer, mobile devices, Roku, or Xbox 360!

Visit http://funimation.com/subscribe for more information!
    Last edited by WTK; 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM.

Funimation to broadcast english dubs in Japan

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/10/funim...ting-in-japan/
    "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Re: FUNimation Broadcast Dubs

Wow, that's huge. Glad I have an EVS account now. Not sure what I'll do for watching them as they air now. I might just have to watch both versions each week. I'm very curious to get more concrete information on the home video releases.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: FUNimation Broadcast Dubs

Cant wait to laughing under the clouds in english. Hope they got a good cast...especially for sora-nii.

I hope in Winter they get Assassination Classroom and do it for that. Cant think of any other winter shows for them
        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Re: FUNimation Broadcast Dubs initiative

I was hoping that Funi would do more of this after the Space Dandy experiment, and I totally endorse this idea. Psycho-Pass was a pretty obvious choice since it's a sequel to a hot-selling title. Rage of Bahamut would have made more sense than Laughing Under the Clouds IMHO. I'm not sure if I will stop watching the Japanese broadcast at this time, but it's something to think about. At least for now, I will continue watching both titles as usual.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
          Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Space Dandy was a disappointment IMO but at least something good came out of that experience.

Good to have confirmation that any changes on the Japanese DVD/BD masters will be updated for the future R1 home video releases.

I doubt Funimation can use all their resources dubbing ongoing simulcasts (IIRC they only have between 5-7 recording booths and 1 is pretty much reserved for One Piece) so it looks like only the cream of the crop will be dubbed which would be:

*established franchises e.g. High School DxD season 3, Attack on Titan season 2

and

*breakout hit/highly anticipated new anime e.g. Triage X, Prison School (if licensed)

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              Rage of Bahamut would have made more sense than Laughing Under the Clouds IMHO.
              I would imagine the streaming numbers would dictate what would get simul dubbed

Comment

Originally posted by MarineCorps View Post
                Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                Rage of Bahamut would have made more sense than Laughing Under the Clouds IMHO.
                I would imagine the streaming numbers would dictate what would get simul dubbed
                I assume they intend to do this from the beginning of future seasons like they did with Space Dandy, in which case they wouldn't have that metric to work with, and it would have to be the same kind of guessing they do for picking up simulcasts in general, just for the ones they could be fairly sure were worth it. Even for Laughing Under the Clouds, I'd imagine they had to ink this deal before they had the time to get sufficient streaming numbers if any. I don't know if that looked like a real hit or if they just had a licensor very open to the idea to start it off before having solid results to show to future licensors to get them to agree to it.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I think this is cool to some extent. I enjoyed the Space Dandy dub and I'm psyched (HA!) to watch the Psycho Pass 2 dub already but I do wonder what this means going forward quality control wise. I mean even the Japanese broadcast version's change before going to home video quite often.

7 or however few more days it is is a tight schedule to translate a script, make a lip sync script, dub it and then edit it altogether. Basically what I'm saying is that I hope Funimation do go back to the dub before releasing it on home video. Space Dandy will be the first test of this I guess.
                  Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Sounds really cool!
                    Does it mean they will release stuff quicker as well?
                    Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by EricDent View Post
                      Sounds really cool!
                      Space Dandy's absence on home video from Funi so far suggests no on the quicker releases.
                      Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                        I think this is cool to some extent. I enjoyed the Space Dandy dub and I'm psyched (HA!) to watch the Psycho Pass 2 dub already but I do wonder what this means going forward quality control wise. I mean even the Japanese broadcast version's change before going to home video quite often.

7 or however few more days it is is a tight schedule to translate a script, make a lip sync script, dub it and then edit it altogether. Basically what I'm saying is that I hope Funimation do go back to the dub before releasing it on home video. Space Dandy will be the first test of this I guess.
                        They pretty much specifically address that in the PR.

Originally posted by EricDent View Post
                        Sounds really cool!
                        Japan still isn't going to let them put out their cheap home video releases earlier than the usual chunk of time after the final Japanese release unless they do dub-only and/or DVD-only. See also: the lack of any word on a US release of Space Dandy. FUNimation does tend to take longer to get these releases out than, say, Sentai, so I could see them getting a little closer to Sentai's usual turnaround time when they already have the dub completed (aside from any slight modifications that changes to the home video version and/or retrospectively realized imperfections might necessitate) by the time the broadcast wraps up.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                          Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post

They pretty much specifically address that in the PR.
                          Teach me to speed read lol, though I'm glad my fears were unfounded
                          Last edited by BlaizeV; 10-30-2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                            Following the release of the FUNimation Broadcast Dub, FUNimation will continue to produce a final English dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release, using materials from Japan’s DVD/Blu-ray release. This final version can be different from the broadcast version, including uncut footage not seen in the broadcast.
                            Huh, I wonder how different they will be, as in how much beyond differences due to the original source. Some of them might end up being interesting to compare.

I suppose I have some interest in Psycho-Pass 2, but I haven't seen the original series dubbed yet, and not sure if I'll get to that soon. Also, I've dropped Laughing Under the Clouds, so I'll be sitting this initial experiment out. Might give it a try if something interesting turns up at some point (assuming they continue to do this: likely not cheap, so they'll need results).

Comment

Wow, this is pretty cool. I'd love to see a dub for Bahamut and Wixoss. Hope they consider more titles to dub sooner.
                              My Anime List - My Collection
                              Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
                              Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
                              Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X