SUNRISE & Right Stuf to release select Gundam titles on home video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RightStuf & SUNRISE to release Gundam franchise

Gundam Wing is by far the most popular entry in the series here (and I'm not just saying that because it's the only one I've seen much of). It's arguably more popular than Outlaw Star, which is getting a BD release in the UK (and probably here too). I'm not saying to EXPECT it on BD here, just that I definitely think it would be worth it.

I wonder if the new release will have the "missing" episode of the original series. I'm also curious to see if the movie trilogy will have the Animaze dubs (which were omitted from the original DVDs for some reason) and if ZZ will have the Animax dubs (a year ago, I wouldn't have even asked that question. Now that an Animax dub turned up on NISA's CCS release, you never know).
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Fanfreakintastic! Finally I will get to see Turn A. When Bandai bowed out and cancelled Turn A's release I said enough of this crap I'll just find it online, I've waited for over a decade for a legit US release and that's more than fair on my part. Never turned up fansubs of it except in Italian iirc; thankfully I can finally just buy a copy! Bandai didn't want my money but obviously Rightstuf does. Day one for me!

If anyone from RS is reading these responses I'd really love any of the following if they are being considered:

Victory Gundam
      After War Gundam X
      0083 (Needs to be on Blu-Ray)

Comment

Originally posted by Lupin The Third View Post
        Victory Gundam
        After War Gundam X
        Victory Gundam and Gundam X should be included in the agreement. 0083 should be as well, but it doesn't even exist on Blu-ray in Japan (only the compilation movie does), so it wouldn't be getting a Blu-ray release here even if the prospect of any of the titles on Blu-ray was at all likely.
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Awesome! I'm really hoping for a remastered Gundam Wing in the near future.
          Avatar: Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing
          Profile Picture: Yaya from Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai (Unbreakable Machine Doll)

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
            Originally posted by Lupin The Third View Post
            Victory Gundam
            After War Gundam X
            Victory Gundam and Gundam X should be included in the agreement. 0083 should be as well, but it doesn't even exist on Blu-ray in Japan (only the compilation movie does), so it wouldn't be getting a Blu-ray release here even if the prospect of any of the titles on Blu-ray was at all likely.
            The announcement certainly does seem to imply that these two are likely; but I just want to throw in my two cents worth in case the plans aren't for everything. Hopefully however this deal will be massive and very long term and lead to all the missing Gundams finally getting a release here.

Comment

While I would agree that BD looks unlikely. At the same time I wouldn't say it is completely unlikely. The best way to get a foothold in a market is to either sell cheaply, or make a very good product. I do get the feeling that the first is not going to happen. I doubt it will be pricing on a AoA level, but I think it likely to be above the norm.

In which case if they don't release it on BD, (particularly as it is an old show so mostly only fans and nostalgia will be picking it up) I think they will immediately lose a lot of goodwill for this new venture. And a new venture needs a lot of goodwill.

And while these titles never sold particularly well, at the same time I don't think they sold terribly? There have been far worse performing titles shovelled onto BD. I think they would probably break even if sold at the right price. Which yes looks bad from a business point of view. But it depends on whether they have long-term goals. If they do, it is better to break even or even lose a bit now, but generate good will, so that they can pick up steam down the road.

Mostly I guess it is a case of wait and see for the moment. Could go either way.
              Last edited by skittles; 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I will take one of EVERYTHING on Blu-Ray please!
                -Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                  I will take one of EVERYTHING on Blu-Ray please!
                  Yeah, that would be the best situation there, just get all of the Gundam that Sunrise has to BD. But I just can't see it happening for everything, if anything at all. There is that, and then there is the age of several of those titles where the picture quality isn't much better on BD. That said, I am asking for 00 to be on BD as that's the best Gundam series out there of the ones I watched. I would like Wing, but I'm not exactly sure if its age will translate well to BD, whereas 00 is relatively recent. Anyway, it would be amazing, but I don't have any expectation at the moment.
                  MyAnimeList | Avatar: Carla, Fairy Tail
                  Watching: Dog Days", Urahara, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Koufuku Graffiti, Ushio and Tora, Toonami Stuff
                  Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                  The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    There is that, and then there is the age of several of those titles where the picture quality isn't much better on BD. That said, I am asking for 00 to be on BD as that's the best Gundam series out there of the ones I watched. I would like Wing, but I'm not exactly sure if its age will translate well to BD, whereas 00 is relatively recent.
                    I have no idea where you're getting that idea from, but no; that's not how it works (it's completely the opposite, actually). Older titles (anything shot on film) look GREAT on BD, and that definitely includes Wing; the only ones that wouldn't are digital titles from the early to mid 2000's, or anything where the original film wasn't available. In this case, though, it wouldn't even apply to early 2000's Seed; there was an HD remaster of it done in Japan (although I don't know much about the quality of it).

Comment

Originally posted by skittles View Post
                      In which case if they don't release it on BD, (particularly as it is an old show so mostly only fans and nostalgia will be picking it up) I think they will immediately lose a lot of goodwill for this new venture. And a new venture needs a lot of goodwill.
                      Three things to keep in mind, though:

1) DVD still outsells Blu-ray in almost every single situation.
                      2) People become fans every day, so it's really newer fans that are being targeted here, not longtime collectors who demand that studios provide reasons to double-dip on things they already own.
                      3) It's been a long time since many of these titles have been widely available for non-absurd secondhand prices.

To be frank, speculating and setting expectations in terms of things like "goodwill" is really just getting at what I mention in #2 there. Fans like us might want Blu-ray as an upgrade, or be of the militant "no Blu-ray, no buy" stance, but that is not something that studios can cater to as a default, when you take #1 and #3 into account. And while it may seem contradictory of me to say this, it's easier for studios to look at newer shows and be a bit more lax in terms of sales expectations as a justification for licensing Blu-ray rights than for older shows like most of the Gundam catalog, because people like shiny and new things, and because newer titles don't have a long history to them that can be used to still set sales expectations for a re-release of the same items as the Gundam franchise does.

As it is, the thing to keep in mind here is that TRSI is part of this equation, and in their capacity as the distributor, have to carry some influence as far as what makes sense for pricing and episode counts. As Shawne noted on Twitter in response to a comment about this franchise and all of its sales albatrosses, he's not in the business of losing money. TRSI has an established history of sensible pricing for license-rescues and catalog titles. If Sunrise didn't care about that, and being willing to take good advice about what's going to work sensibly, then they wouldn't have bothered with TRSI or anyone else, and this weekend's announcement would have probably been trumpeting the establishment of Sunrise USA instead.

I doubt we're going to see AoA-style pricing and releases for these titles on DVD; there's no way Shawne would have entered into the agreement in the first place if that were the case, regardless of how much coverage and insulation from potential low sales Sunrise might have been willing to provide in order to enforce higher-than-industry-average prices like that. Certainly not for a franchise consisting of hundreds of episodes.
                      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                        Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                        There is that, and then there is the age of several of those titles where the picture quality isn't much better on BD. That said, I am asking for 00 to be on BD as that's the best Gundam series out there of the ones I watched. I would like Wing, but I'm not exactly sure if its age will translate well to BD, whereas 00 is relatively recent.
                        I have no idea where you're getting that idea from, but no; that's not how it works (it's completely the opposite, actually). Older titles (anything shot on film) look GREAT on BD, and that definitely includes Wing; the only ones that wouldn't are digital titles from the early to mid 2000's, or anything where the original film wasn't available. In this case, though, it wouldn't even apply to early 2000's Seed; there was an HD remaster of it done in Japan (although I don't know much about the quality of it).
                        Seed is an average upscale, as I understand it, and has been cropped to widescreen so as to not frighten people, sadly.

For what it's worth, I do own Gundam Wing on Blu-ray, and yes, it does look as good as you would expect a mid-'90s cel-based show would when given a proper HD transfer.
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

I just hope if Zeta is released, the original ops/ends are left alone. Neal Sedaka is dead now, and hopefully whoever owns his catalog is a little more gracious.
                          -Keith

Comment

The only (yes, only) series that would be worth even attempting on Blu-ray domestically would be Gundam Wing, because of justification from past performance and the awareness of it even today among fandom at large. And they may be seriously considering it for those reasons. But I wouldn't expect it to happen, not even as something like four sets at $100 MSRP apiece, which is the sort of format and pricing that would be more realistic given the circumstances.
                            I will hope for at least a blu-ray release of Endless Waltz as a way for them to test the waters.

Comment

Seed is an average upscale, as I understand it, and has been cropped to widescreen so as to not frighten people, sadly.
                              Seed was actually mostly re-composited and re-animated in HD (the latter of which has a handful of stupid decisions, like making it look like

Spoiler ->Nicol purposefully runs his Blitz Gundam into the Strike Gundam's sword: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-10500.html

), with only a few upscaled shots remaining. Overall, it's an improvement, with many shots looking wider and more polished: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-11576.html
                              Replacing "Anna ni Issho Datta No Ni" with a remixed version pissed me off though.
                              Last edited by BusterD; 10-12-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                                Seed was actually mostly re-composited and re-animated in HD (with the latter of which has a handful of stupid decisions, like making it look like

Spoiler ->Nicol purposefully runs his Blitz Gundam into the Strike Gundam's sword: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-10500.html

), with only a few upscaled shots remaining. Overall, it's an improvement, with many shots looking wider and more polished: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-11576.html
                                Replacing "Anna ni Issho Datta No Ni" with a remixed version pissed me off though.
                                Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the correct information.

Weird that they'd replace what was then (and may still remain) such a hugely popular song with a remix though. Is it a recently-produced version, so they could sell more CDs? Or probably just a bad idea that some producer must have gotten into his head?
                                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X