X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RightStuf & SUNRISE to release Gundam franchise

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
    Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    Obviously it's great news that Gundam is getting back into the US market, I can't help but be a bit disappointed when TRSI licenses something I'm interested in as the only company that still won't release anything on Blu-ray.
    Given the unique nature of this particular agreement, it's really not so much about TRSI wanting or not wanting to release something on Blu-ray, as it is Sunrise wanting or not wanting it.
    I gotta be honest though, I think Wing would do awesome sales-wise if they could put it out on Blu-ray. I could even see SEED doing very well, maybe? I just know that Wing would be a good seller due to the nostalgia for it.

Comment

Originally posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
      Obviously it's great news that Gundam is getting back into the US market, I can't help but be a bit disappointed when TRSI licenses something I'm interested in as the only company that still won't release anything on Blu-ray.
      Given the unique nature of this particular agreement, it's really not so much about TRSI wanting or not wanting to release something on Blu-ray, as it is Sunrise wanting or not wanting it.
      I gotta be honest though, I think Wing would do awesome sales-wise if they could put it out on Blu-ray. I could even see SEED doing very well, maybe? I just know that Wing would be a good seller due to the nostalgia for it.
      If anything gets released on Blu Ray (I have my doubts right now) I think it'll be these at best

- Mobile Suit Gundam 79 (Origin gives me extra doubt though)
      - Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy
      - Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
      - Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny

Like I say I have my doubts about BDs happening at all but I would presume that those are the most likely
      Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
        I doubt on SEED though, considering how the US didn't like SEED Destiny that much and Japan currently sees the SEED series as Deader than Disco.

Comment

I could be way off but I thought that Funimation said they had Gundam 00 along with Code Geass? Anyways, I hope we get a new release of 08th MS Team and War In the Pocket.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/GundamUnico...72117942800323
            Thank you very much for you who came to our panel at NYCC.
            We announced several new things there.

Sunrise releases Gundam Series home video through Right stuf from spring 2015.
            The first release is "Mobile Suit Gundam" and "Turn A Gundam".

Comment

Add me to the list of those wanting a Gundam Wing blu-ray release.

Comment

Originally posted by skittles View Post
                By which I can only assume that TRSI will simply be distributing whatever is provided to them by Sunrise, rather than manufacturing on their own?

Because I would have to agree with GingaDaiuchuu here. If it was simply a matter of what TRSI wants or doesn't want, the likelihood of a BD release plummets. As they have consistently shown through their releases they have no interest or faith in the format. If this is truly a case of it depends on what Sunrise wants, I will tentatively increase my hopes a little.
                SUNRISE is selling and releasing various Gundam properties. SUNRISE is using TRSI as its distributor to get the releases out in North America. SUNRISE will have say on how the releases will be handled, format configuration, pricing point, and so forth. Think Gundam Unicorn, this is expansion of that original distribution agreement.

Originally posted by sickvisionz View Post
                I could be way off but I thought that Funimation said they had Gundam 00 along with Code Geass?
                You heard it wrong. FUNimation never licensed Gundam 00 (or anything Gundam).

Comment

I've already got pretty much everything Gundam already released in the US, so re-releases of Gundam titles don't interest me (unless they surprise me and release BDs for some of them). I am, however, thrilled to see some of the previously unreleased titles finally getting a release. Turn A and ZZ aren't titles I was really chomping at the bit to see (I'll get them, though, so long as the price is reasonable); however, this does give me a little hope that X might finally get a US release.

It would be nice to see BDs of some of these, though; Gundam Wing in particular pretty much screams "worthwhile BD release".

Comment

This is awesome although I've never been much of a Gundam fan. The only one I own and have seen to completion is 00 and I really enjoyed it! I'm interested in checking a few of these out, especially Turn A, Wing, Seed and possibly G-Gundam as well.
                    Anime Stats
                    DVD Collection
                    Anime Blog

Comment

Just that one Facebook post makes this distribution agreement clearer than other reports I had read. The fact that it specifically mentions Sunrise selling through Right Stuf dispels most of my fears. Sure, Sunrise may not want to release a lot of it on Blu-ray anyway, but at least there's a much better chance.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I would kill for any domestic Gundam Blu-ray releases. I really hope Sunrise and Right Stuf make it happen. Anything they release on Blu-ray, subbed only or dubbed, Japanese pricing or not, I'll buy it. Just make it happen.
                        Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Was excited about the Gundam franchise returning to print in the US, but am now cautiously skeptical upon learning it's Sunrise selling through Rightstuf. Would love to pick up Wing, Seed/Seed Destiny, and definitely 00, BUT only on the condition that we get them on blu-ray. Holding my breath to see how they handle the first of their series that they plan to release (whether MSG will be on blu-ray or just DVD). Should give us an idea how they'll proceed with the rest of the franchise.
                          My Anime List
                          Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Hi All,

Oh yah! Adding my vote as well:

* Gundam Wing on Blu-Ray please! :D

@chrono - do you think you can ping Shawn /TRS to ask about Wing?

Comment

While Blu-ray is the obvious thing to wish for, folks need to keep in mind that most of these titles never sold very well on DVD in the first place (back when Blu-ray wasn't even a real thing, mind you), or were received with huge levels of enthusiasm by wide swaths of fandom, so there's hardly anything to convince Sunrise that re-releasing them on Blu-ray here Stateside is at all profitable or worthwhile. Certainly not in a situation where this is as much as, if not more so, a release of their own than TRSI's, and so they'd also be seeing it from a point of view of releasing such products that would directly compete with their own product line in Japan.

In any case, the only way we'd ever likely see any of these titles on Blu-ray is with a significant delay and AoA-esque prices, the latter being to dissuade reverse-importation as well as to try and mitigate the inevitable non-blockbuster levels of sales by putting more money in their pockets for each set sold. The people who would really want some of these titles on Blu-ray would of course still buy them, just as people are still buying AoA's releases. But even that might not be enough for Sunrise to run the numbers and find justification for it.

The only (yes, only) series that would be worth even attempting on Blu-ray domestically would be Gundam Wing, because of justification from past performance and the awareness of it even today among fandom at large. And they may be seriously considering it for those reasons. But I wouldn't expect it to happen, not even as something like four sets at $100 MSRP apiece, which is the sort of format and pricing that would be more realistic given the circumstances.
                              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                              Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                              Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Cool news. I'm in for ZZ.
                                Formerly Randall Flagg at AoD.
                                Touch is still the greatest show ever.
                                Avatar: Miyako and Yuno of Hidamari Sketch wish you a Merry Christmas.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X