SUNRISE & Right Stuf to release select Gundam titles on home video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Setsuna91 View Post
    Even if the changes are small and/or not what the viewer expected, they still comprise of the final vision the directors have intended.

Seed is a strange ballgame I’ll admit when it comes to the changes. The director of Seed was asked in an interview at Cloud Matsuri if he could change anything with the series what would it be? He replied without hesitation that he would remake the whole thing!
    It sounds like maybe Sunrise just has a different relationship with Funi over this thing than they do with Nozomi (I don't really even understand how the license for that one ended up with Funi). Is there a sense of how much of IBO was re-animated or re-composited for Blu-Ray? Does anyone know?

And then I suppose I would have the same question regarding Seed (broadcast vs Blu-Ray versions of HD remaster).

Think I agree with the director though about ideally remaking it from scratch. You could probably shave at least a couple more eps (beyond what was cut out for the HD release) just by not having those dialogue/mecha flashbacks in almost every episode. And too much of the show's emotional core was about Drilling Home Repeatedly the notion that War Am Bad. (It's probably my fault for also watching the Bandai DVDs during my 30-day return window of getting the Blu-Rays... I've basically now re-watched the show four times in just over a month).
    Last edited by samwise; 04-12-2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• There is also the Seed Special Edition films, they have been given an HD Remaster and released in theaters in Japan. No home video release for it yet but you can’t tell me that including the already remastered footage that was made they won’t add even more refined footage considering the director said he would like to remake it if he could. He tweaked every scene he could for the series. I know he won’t stop there.

Comment

• The Seed films are why I reckon I've watched the show four times last February (Bandai discs of the series proper, plus everything RightStuf sent out). Seems to me I mostly thought the movies were an improvement, even though the nonlinear aspect hurt them in places. I'm fine with finally getting a version of those that aren't 4x3 letterbox. And I think we decided it will be years yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by samwise View Post
          I'm not seeing enough here to convince me that it makes that much of a difference. I don't see why they even bothered updating it.

I'm even starting to doubt whether I'll really notice any difference with the episodes on the replacement Seed set, despite having seen some of the comparative screenshots posted. What's one shot out of an action sequence, let alone a whole episode (And how many eps actually have re-animated shots inserted into them).

I had meant to check whether the Japanese BDs might have subs (some of you guys would already know), but now I doubt I'll bother to concern myself with it.
          Seed seems to be drastically changed in a lot of scenes though. I agree in the sense that the changes in IBO seem much more minor.
          Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• It's important to understand that Sunrise is significantly more involved in Right Stuf's releases of Gundam titles; those products are, technically, Sunrise products. So with something like the Seed mishap, it's not only in Sunrise's best interests to correct the issue, it's also something that can be more easily and rapidly facilitated.

Funimation's license of IBO on the other hand is a more "traditional" license for lack of a better word, and with all the good and bad that entails.
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
            Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

• Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
              It's important to understand that Sunrise is significantly more involved in Right Stuf's releases of Gundam titles; those products are, technically, Sunrise products. So with something like the Seed mishap, it's not only in Sunrise's best interests to correct the issue, it's also something that can be more easily and rapidly facilitated.

Funimation's license of IBO on the other hand is a more "traditional" license for lack of a better word, and with all the good and bad that entails.
              It’s definitely true that Rightstuf works much more closely with Sunrise regarding the Gundam titles. Still, I don’t completely understand how the license of IBO would be considered more “traditional” given they released an elaborate Blu-ray set plus a couple of IBO Gunpla with Funimation’s branding on the box. If they could do all of that then they should be able to afford a better license. It makes me curious if there are other series Funimation has inferior versions of. Yes Funimation does distribute a lot of series but as I stated in a previously, they should strive to deliver the best quality content for the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setsuna91 View Post

It’s definitely true that Rightstuf works much more closely with Sunrise regarding the Gundam titles. Still, I don’t completely understand how the license of IBO would be considered more “traditional” given they released an elaborate Blu-ray set plus a couple of IBO Gunpla with Funimation’s branding on the box. If they could do all of that then they should be able to afford a better license. It makes me curious if there are other series Funimation has inferior versions of. Yes Funimation does distribute a lot of series but as I stated in a previously, they should strive to deliver the best quality content for the fans.
                The specific format and extras included in Funimation's release of IBO don't have anything to do with the nature of the licensing agreements or the point I was making.

Sunrise working with Right Stuf to release Gundam titles is significantly different than Funimation licensing IBO from Sunrise to release in some fashion. Consequently, in a situation like this, not only is it easier for Sunrise and Right Stuf to facilitate a solution, but Sunrise has a direct and vested interest in executing that solution.

For the record, Funimation absolutely has in the past released a number of "inferior" versions of titles they've licensed. Some have been accidental, due to an unfamiliarity with the materials provided, not unlike the two situations being discussed here. Others have been because the licensor provided such materials intentionally and, politely and professionally, said basically "you'll use that and you'll like it."

Unfortunately, none of this is new to folks who've been into this hobby for a good long while now. The gist of this part of the discussion is practically identical to AoD threads from 20-plus years ago.
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

• Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post

The specific format and extras included in Funimation's release of IBO don't have anything to do with the nature of the licensing agreements or the point I was making.

Sunrise working with Right Stuf to release Gundam titles is significantly different than Funimation licensing IBO from Sunrise to release in some fashion. Consequently, in a situation like this, not only is it easier for Sunrise and Right Stuf to facilitate a solution, but Sunrise has a direct and vested interest in executing that solution.

For the record, Funimation absolutely has in the past released a number of "inferior" versions of titles they've licensed. Some have been accidental, due to an unfamiliarity with the materials provided, not unlike the two situations being discussed here. Others have been because the licensor provided such materials intentionally and, politely and professionally, said basically "you'll use that and you'll like it."

Unfortunately, none of this is new to folks who've been into this hobby for a good long while now. The gist of this part of the discussion is practically identical to AoD threads from 20-plus years ago.
                  Yep, I remember many of those quite well. Some have been minor, others have stopped me dead in my tracks from buying the US release (Nura: Rise of the Yokai is a good example of the latter).
                  Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• From April 27th:

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM WING HD REMASTER (EN.HK.TW.KR Sub)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VSeEM7lnOHCPQB

Comment

• Not listed @ TRSI yet...

via Amazon:

- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - $74.99 - 7/6/21

Comment

• Double the price of a standard release because of a new dub? Ouch.
                        But i'd gladly double dip and pay that price for new releases of older shows if they dubbed them...although truly i'd really want an Ocean dub :p

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcBonk View Post
                          Double the price of a standard release because of a new dub? Ouch.
                          But i'd gladly double dip and pay that price for new releases of older shows if they dubbed them...although truly i'd really want an Ocean dub :p
                          I’d definitely pay that price for Discotek to dub some of the shows they pick up like Case Closed.

I really hope the replacement discs ship before this comes out...
                          Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach Rider View Post

I really hope the replacement discs ship before this comes out...
                            I believe Rightstuf mentioned their priority is to send the replacements to the customers who already purchased the Ultra Set. I called Rightstuf customer service on the phone a few weeks ago and they estimated possibly a late May or early June release. Considering this standard release is set for July, and we haven’t heard much updates yet I’d give it sometime in June to receive the replacements.

Comment

• Originally posted by WTK View Post
                              Also listed @ https://www.deepdiscount.com/mobile-...1/742617209420.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/post/UgzZtfsOea01ZR2u7Nt4AaABCQ (May 19)

Here it is, everyone! We've started re-streaming all 50 episodes of MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER today!

No matter if you haven't seen it yet or you've already enjoyed it, you can have fun with this popular series, so take this opportunity to check out all 50 episodes!

In addition, “MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED HD REMASTER”, the first SEED series is also available now, so take this chance to discover the world of Gundam SEED! This is a limited time offer, so don't miss it!

To watch “MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED DESTINY HD REMASTER”
                                EN Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                HK Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                TW Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                KR Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

To watch “MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM SEED HD REMASTER”
                                EN Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                HK Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                TW Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
                                KR Sub https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Let us know how it was! #GundamInfo #GUNDAM #GUNPLA

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X