Widgets Magazine

SUNRISE & Right Stuf to release select Gundam titles on home video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just those shots that are effect or is there more?

Comment

• Originally posted by PissedOffPeoN View Post
      Is it just those shots that are effect or is there more?
      The screenshots on the left side match what i saw in the US bluray and the right is what's on the Japanese bluray. I guess Nozomi was only allowed to use the HD rebroadcast?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vvMlOPr9YQQ/UN5Mvt74BII/AAAAAAABYDE/ifBe89_AHfI/s1600/69618c28gw1e0ac22osicj.jpg

Comment

• Not to add insult to injury, but...

https://twitter.com/schmullus1/statu...656765957?s=21

Saw some stuff on Discord a little bit ago about the black levels on the SEED SD-BDs being wrong so I took a look for myself and, well...

(Bandai DVD singles 1st and 3rd, SD-BDs 2nd and 4th)
        (See post for comparison images...)

https://twitter.com/schmullus1/statu...221578754?s=21

I know this used to be a problem with mastering between JP standard black level values and US levels but I didn't expect to see it rear its head again now.
        DVDaf :Collection

Comment

• Wow that would suck if they forced them to basically gimp this release with the TV broadcast version and then screw up the RGB range on top of it when their Gundam releases so far have had almost no issues.

I haven't had my order shipped now, but i'm almost tempted to call and cancel it... if it wasn't for the fact this is the only way to get the OG Canadian dub. (But those screenshots look even worse than the DVDs, notice the l line artifacts present that aren't in the DVD screenshots. Vertical in the first comparison and horizontal in the second. And they are only in the shadowed areas Yuck..) There's no way they made it through development of this release and not notice they had a gimped master. It would have to have been known.
          Maybe this is part of the reason why the release has taken so long despite them starting the dub several years ago. Maybe they fought with them about it. It's so weird given that the Seed BD box came out so long ago.
          Last edited by MrMcBonk; 11-03-2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Idk I kind of want to be optimistic and think this is just a really big screw up at least in terms of the HD version. Shawne doesn't seem like the type to give us a crappy release without at least saying something. It could just be that whoever worked on it didn't know enough about the series to know the differences in scenes. The SD-BD does look pretty bad though. I am disappointed but I kind of what to hear what they have to say about it before flipping out. It seems like something that would effect the UK set and Destiny too so it might get fixed down the line even if it takes awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setsuna91 View Post
              I took these screenshots yes. I have seen the footage myself. The Strike's head floating in space in front of the Archangel is not present in the US Bluray. They might've used the HD stream version for it.
              Thank you for spotting the differences and bringing this to our attention. I was already upset to find out that Funimation's Iron-Blooded Orphans release used the broadcast/streaming masters instead of the JP BD ones, which had many tweaks and improvements made to the animation, and now I'm really glad I didn't spend over 200 bucks on a Gundam SEED BD release with broadcast video. Nozomi has been a good partner to Bandai/Sunrise and doesn't deserve to get inferior masters from them.
              Last edited by Zhou; 11-03-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zhou View Post
                I was already upset to find out that Funimation's Iron-Blooded Orphans release used the broadcast/streaming masters instead of the JP BD ones, which had many tweaks and improvements made to the animation
                News to me, glad they never got any more after that terrible show.

Unfortunate about SEED, even more so that the SDBDs look terrible after reading how fine AD Police turned out.
                Last edited by NJ_; 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM.
                Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

• I'll be curious to see Right Stuf's response to this. I assume someone has probably already asked on social media? (I don't use social media.)

Comment

• It has come to our attention that the video masters provided to us to create our Gundam SEED Blu-ray set may have come from the Japanese HD broadcast versus the Japanese HD home video Blu-ray release. We have contacted SUNRISE to check into this issue. Once we have a response, we will provide a formal statement on what options are available to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Digi_Michael View Post
                      It has come to our attention that the video masters provided to us to create our Gundam SEED Blu-ray set may have come from the Japanese HD broadcast versus the Japanese HD home video Blu-ray release. We have contacted SUNRISE to check into this issue. Once we have a response, we will provide a formal statement on what options are available to us.
                      so should i still order the ultimate edition or not?
                      AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/nozomient/p...jw&__tn__=R]-R
                        Originally posted by Shawne Kleckner
                        It would be appreciated if people could please give us actual time to consult with Sunrise on this issue versus pelting us on it and expecting an immediate answer. It is in the middle of the night right now in Japan. Until we actually can talk to someone, who most likely will have to consult with others, we have no answers beyond what is listed above. Have some patience, folks.

Comment

• Mad props to them for acknowledging the issue. I would honestly even pay shipping or maybe a bit more for corrected discs and being able to keep my old ones; then it’s ACTUALLY the definitive collection.

Regardless of the outcome I’m at least glad they’re looking into it. Way better than Viz’s garbage communication and shoulder shrugging when it comes to using TV masters (See: Nura). Dropped that series over that issue, and have typically taken a wait and see approach with Viz BDs and their use of TV masters ever since then.
                          Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post

so should i still order the ultimate edition or not?
                            If it's something you really want, I'd say order it now and wait and see what happens. (Are you going to kick yourself if it goes OOP? If so, order it while you can.) IF this was a mistake that can be corrected, I'm sure an exchange program will be offered. Usually Right Stuf has your order records if you order it from them so you don't have to do anything.

I wanted the collector's edition regardless, so if we're stuck with this version, I'm not exactly thrilled, but if Sunrise wants to give us a gimped release, there's not much we can do about it. Right Stuf will do what they can to make things right. They're one of the few companies I believe in when there's a screw up. Others, like Funi and Viz...not so much.

Comment

• Was really looking forward to getting this set, but definitely plan on waiting to see Rightstuf's response and what course of action they take first. Ideally they do get the corrected masters and fix the discs, but dunno if that's feasible at this point. Surprised no one caught this before replication though.
                              My Anime List
                              Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

• I would have thought that after spending lots of time getting this right that there are still problems. It's a great thing that Right Stuf is at least looking into the problem seeing that other companies aren't as accommodating.
                                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
                                Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
                                Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
                                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X