Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RightStuf & SUNRISE to release Gundam franchise

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
    Personally Jaws and Jurassic Park are the only old movies I watch. My rule of thumb is not watching anything from more than ten years ago. Im big on visuals and sound quality for the experience in sound and drama so like with anime its difficult to endure stuff in dated sound and visual effects. For example sounds effects in Gundam Wing sound comical or the music sounds like its from the late 80s Coming out of a speaker underwater.
    Actually that's not true for a lot of the older movies anymore either. The Ghost in the Shell 2.0 redo was upgraded to a great sounding 6.1 DTS-ES soundtrack.

And a lot of the older Hollywood/British blockbusters of the past have also been upgraded in their newer bluray incarnations. Cleopatra, Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments have all been upgraded from Mono/Stereo to 5.1 DD, or DTS or in the case of Ten Commandments a full 5.1 DTS-HD lossless track. Even my old Battle of Britain DVD which was mono was upgraded to a great sounding 5.1 Dolby Digital on it's Bluray re-release.

And of course all of these movie examples I've given above are already better looking visually than 95% of the movies made today since they don't depend on cheesy CGI effects. Their casts of thousands really are casts of thousands!

J. A.
    Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
    Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
    Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
    Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

My rule of thumb is not watching anything from more than ten years ago. Im big on visuals and sound quality for the experience in sound and drama so like with anime its difficult to endure stuff in dated sound and visual effects. For example sounds effects in Gundam Wing sound comical or the music sounds like its from the late 80s Coming out of a speaker underwater.
      I'm curious of what kind of setup you have to fully appreciate 'updated visuals and audio', because if all you have is laptop output, you're only kidding yourself. BTW, Akira happens to be a benchmark title for A/V if that's what you care about. Or did you happen to ignore this too because it's 'dated'?

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        My rule of thumb is not watching anything from more than ten years ago. Im big on visuals and sound quality for the experience in sound and drama so like with anime its difficult to endure stuff in dated sound and visual effects. For example sounds effects in Gundam Wing sound comical or the music sounds like its from the late 80s Coming out of a speaker underwater.
        I'm curious of what kind of setup you have to fully appreciate 'updated visuals and audio', because if all you have is laptop output, you're only kidding yourself. BTW, Akira happens to be a benchmark title for A/V if that's what you care about. Or did you happen to ignore this too because it's 'dated'?
        A 60inch sharp hdtv q+ and their 60 inch soundbar + subwoofer
        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
          A 60inch sharp hdtv q+ and their 60 inch soundbar + subwoofer
          Excellent; that should be a decent enough setup for the Ghibli catalog, Tenchi OVAs/Movies, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, Macross Plus, The Twelve Kingdoms, Wings of Honneamise, etc.. You should have no problem feeling fully immersed with the visual and audio splendor from these titles.

Comment

yea his logic is far from infallible one could apply it to shows with sloppy writing but thats about it , some of the best looking films are from pre 1970s.

Comment

Gundam.Info series pages are back up for:
              - Gundam Build Fighters: http://en.gundam.info/series/buildfighters/
              - Gundam Build Fighters Try: http://en.gundam.info/series/buildfighterstry/
              - Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: http://en.gundam.info/series/seed/
              - Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny: http://en.gundam.info/series/seeddestiny/
              - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: http://en.gundam.info/series/unicorn/

Comment

I hope this means their bds are incoming.
                AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lynch View Post
                  Originally posted by Kenneth_Lee View Post
                  Writing quality of old is just not that good for contemporary times and from the look of things, those older gundams havent aged well.
                  Are you talking about only Gundam, or all "writing quality of old" for all anime?

Because there are plenty of cases where "older" anime far exceed the drivel of new anime, repeatedly:

• All Hayao Miyazaki Films: Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro, Kiki's, Porco Rosso, Mononoke Hime, etc. The level of writing and expression and film direction are legendary and timeless. I can still watch these films today and be enriched by the experience as opposed to many of the "New Anime" I'm watching these days.
                  • Even Non-Miyazaki Older Anime are more moving and stunning than many New Anime these days as well: See Grave of the Fireflies (by Isao Takahata), which is still so heart-breaking and tragic even to this day.
                  • Cowboy Bebop: Fantastic writing and one of the All-Time Greatest, and it still holds up today.
                  • Escaflowne: Great mix of Action, Romance, Adventure. Legendary music by Yoko Kanno and great film direction. Better than most of the New Anime I see these days.
                  • Giant Robo: Fantastic Action / Mech series that still holds up to today.
                  • Patlabor: While the animation is dated by today's standards the level of writing, satire, subtleties is top notch.

I can think of a bunch of other "Old Anime" that you might consider too old, that truly are better than most of the garbage being put out today.
                  I wouldn't go as far as saying new stuff is garbage either. There is good stuff. I believe you can agree that the massive amount of output affects the overall quality. The 80's are known for the other "anime boom" with a ton of OAVs and movies released, but even then it doesn't seem to be as significant as now. There is terrible drivel in every era, but the stuff that shines doesn't see to be as bright today as it was before Eva. IF you know what I mean.
                  I agree with you in theory overall, the shows you listed for the most part seriously rise above the average show today; however there is also some great stuff being made now. It is frustrating when people dismiss shows we love from another era as "old, stupid and boring" That I ABSOLUTELY agree with. Seems kind of uninformed, wouldn't you say?
                  Hey Jason,

Oh absolutely. I agree. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying there was *nothing* good in the new era; of course there's great stuff I'm enjoying now. Just noticing a lot more drivel, but as PS mentioned, we are getting pretty much most broadcast anime simulcast day-and-date with Japan, so we are seeing more volume.

But there's some truth to it: Over the course of a few years' of Anime Expo Guest of Honor Panels I've heard numerous Japanese Writers / Directors lament the state of Japanese Anime in Japan (lower budgets, the moe boom a few years back, and the focus on certain genres of shows).

Getting great high-quality, timeless shows is becoming rarer (at least it feels that way).

Comment

I definitely agree with that. All about volume and pandering, like the later half of any decade's music genres. This has forced a lot of creators from making projects they really want to make. Sadly.

Comment

Everything panders to someone. It's just people choose to ignore it when it's something that resonates with them personally. It's necessary to keep idiots like me throwing money at the industry.
                      Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Pandering and appealing are different.

Comment

Well, never mind. I don't want the mods to come in and lock this based on the discussion.

Comment

Are they? How so?

Certainly, the anime industry has no less than pandered to the sexual mores of its buyers, for instance, since the mid-80s, at least. Yet we defend ourselves by saying that the character designs--intended to convey sex--that developed out of that era and have since become more and more sophisticated (and, yes, daring) in their ways of grabbing our attentions, "appeal" to our tastes, merely because we have accepted them into the aesthetic of anime. The "moe" aesthetic that old-schoolers decry is merely a descendant of design principles that were explicitly intended to sell copies depending on how much skin was on the cover. Pandering and appealing can be different, but in this industry, and this fandom, they are a very opaque Venn diagram. And, really, that's not even a criticism.
                            Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                            Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                            Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Well, never mind. I don't want the mods to come in and lock this based on the discussion.
                              Hey, I'll make an official declaration, following on Histugi's above: this is fine. Don't worry about it. The rules are clear, and in this circumstance that applies mostly to the idea of personal attacks. But otherwise this is merely bending the guideline--not rule--on going too OT. This stays on this current track, at least, we'll take responsibility.
                              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                              Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                              Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                                Are they? How so?

Certainly, the anime industry has no less than pandered to the sexual mores of its buyers, for instance, since the mid-80s, at least. Yet we defend ourselves by saying that the character designs--intended to convey sex--that developed out of that era and have since become more and more sophisticated (and, yes, daring) in their ways of grabbing our attentions, "appeal" to our tastes, merely because we have accepted them into the aesthetic of anime. The "moe" aesthetic that old-schoolers decry is merely a descendant of design principles that were explicitly intended to sell copies depending on how much skin was on the cover. Pandering and appealing can be different, but in this industry, and this fandom, they are a very opaque Venn diagram. And, really, that's not even a criticism.
                                Well by definition alone they are different. Appealing is attracting interest that is emotional or intellectual. Drawing a cute girl is appealing to draw attention to tell a grander story. Pandering would be centering the story around how the girl looks, and making adjustments mid show to bust size based on forum comments.
                                Let's take an example of Eva since it's super popular. Girl designs are cute (and now famous for being the top level icon status of what "pandering" is), and created for an appeal. Those designs are completely spun on their head to the ugliest, darkest depths known. Almost chastising those that found that appeal. Which is why some fans just happily forget anything happens in the last few espoused (and movie) of the series. I don't think you can consider what Anno, Sadamoto, and Gainax did as pandering to fan desires because by the end they didn't change their story to fit what fans "wanted" or really gave it too much consideration. That's well documented. BUT the post movie merchandising bonanza, countless dojinshi, and continual portrayal of characters against the true nature and message of the series has lead to lawsuits. And all of that stuff is pandering. Yes. Massively. But I hope you can see the difference enough in the two to understand what I mean.
                                I don't think you can say the same for High School DxD for example. If you want to blur the lines to placate being "duped" of some sort, that's fine. But I don't even think being a fan of heavy fan service is being duped. The creators are the ones duped. Sure, it's more money. The best anime (or any media) are finding that balance in art and commerce. Those are the best of the best.
                                It's hard for me to look at War in the Pocket and say "That's pandering to the fans" or Grave of the Fireflies. Or whatever else you want to say. And let me say I'm no moral high-grounder, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sex appeal. That is part of the storytelling medium. If you want to convey sexual tension between characters, you need to imbed that sense into the viewer. It's no different than violence. Pandering goes far beyond merely how much cleavage a character has. It's making a movie or series with little to say other than just the extreme violence or lack of clothing. If your show is offering something substantial to say, and that message is unwavering in the face of the very fans you are wanting to buy what you sell, you are not pandering. If so-and-so trend is hip right now, and there is little specific voice in the piece, then you are pandering. Gundam can sell as many toy robots as it wants, but if the storytelling is as great as Zeta, it's still art to me. And I don't have to convince myself of what I know is right.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X